Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What/when was your first away game

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Fulham away 93/94 I think. Bob the Cod scored the winner. A meager crowd of c4800 at the cottage and cant have been more than 400 Albion there either. Good win but a miserable November Saturday.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I believe it was Newcastle in '79

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Hereford Utd - supporters special train. 1976 I think - a certain Peter Ward scored - possibly his first Albion game if my memory is right

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Mine was away to Aldershot in the 3rd round of the FA cup Jan 1967. Crap 0-0 draw but we won the replay 3-1 and drew Chelsea at home in the 4th round. We drew at the Goldstone 1-1 and then followed my 2nd away game at Stamford Bridge in front of about 60,000 people. Got thumped 4-0 but what a night out. To see Osgood, Cooke, Hutchison etc in all their pomp was brilliant.
I was 17 at the time so late away game starter by today's standards. My first home game was 1958 but you didn't' seem travel to away games much in those days.

They were my first two games as well, however I didn't think Osgood or Hutchinson were around then. I think the Chelsea strike force was Bobby Tambling and Tony Hateley

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Southampton at the Dell,...late 70's can't remember score.....draw I think.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Aldershot, with Gerry Fell down the wing (and over the fence and onto the railway lines, nearly). Went with my dad. I seem to have been there 3 times (the last time was when the former dutch marine chef walked into the net with the ball in his hand :ffsparr: )

Mind you, we scored six so it hardly mattered :lolol:

After that it was Aldershot again, Palarse, Palarse and Southampton and nothing till I suddenly became reactivated around 98 (Bentford, and my son's first away game). The rest is history . . . . :albion2:

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
Gillingham away in the mid seventies i think... my memory is terrible .. it could have been Portsmouth Charlton Orient or Palace !! ... i loved those trips either with a friend driving or my dad and i can remmebr snippets of every day ... but i cant remember which came first ... will try and work it out on saturday when i travel with all of my three brothers to Ipswich!

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Peterborough FA Cup 5th round, 1985. The only time I've ever feared for my life at a football match. We were packed in so tight I thought my rib cage was going to cave in! The game should never have gone ahead as it was played on a good 4 inch blanket of snow.

Last edited:

portlander

Jul 16, 2003
Portland, Maine, USA
First awayday was on Seagulls Special to Northampton of all places in 1976 or 77- rope on one side to separate the pitch from cricket square, they threw bricks at us from behind the away end. We won 2-0, I think Tony Towner scored. Totally addictive to a 15 year old. Didn't know places like Northampton existed.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
QPR away when I was 10 (03/4). I clearly remember dropping my sweets on the floor before a Police Horse had a massive shit near them. No idea how the game finished! Only nine years after my first home game, i was allergic to the North as a young'un.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Coldest. Shittest. Day. Ever.

(Great consolation goal, mind)

In one month over that period I saw Albion at home, Plymouth, Oldham, and travelled for a postponed match at Newcastle. Covered all four corners.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Charlton 0 - Brighton 4. October 16th 2010.

And what a great day it was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here