Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What/when was your first away game

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Wow, that reminds me that, oddly imho, there were two high profile 'keepers during the 70s sharing the same name.

View attachment 68047 View attachment 68048

As Harry Hill might say, what are the chances?

the blondie was much the better. He had a few caps for England I seem o remember. But unfortunately for him we had some amazing keepers back them Banks, Shilton, Clemence

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
Mine was that game against Aldershot (again) in the 70s when there was a pitch invasion and much swinging on the crossbar. No idea what the score was or exactly what year it was but it did leave a lasting impression on a young'un :hilton:

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Not sure if it was my first or not but earliest one I remember was Palace away 1985 when Gerry Ryan had his leg broken.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Leyton Orient, some time around 1995 or 1996 I reckon. Absolutely chucked it down, we were on the uncovered terrace behind the goal, we went into it on a dismal run of form...and (I think) won 3-0.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How many Albion fans at Aldershot in the incessant rain?

Well, there was me for a start! My first Albion match too - I remember the interesting sensation of being able to remove both feet off the ground and remaining vertical while exiting the ground at the end.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
pompey away 72 a bit noughty???
That was my 1st away game also. I remember my mate saying lets go down early for a few drinks. So 6 of us caught the 10am-ish train from Brighton. Got off the train and walked straight into trouble. Ended up in their end but kept very quiet. It didn't put me off going to away games though.

Jul 7, 2003
Wow, that reminds me that, oddly imho, there were two high profile 'keepers during the 70s sharing the same name.

View attachment 68047 View attachment 68048

As Harry Hill might say, what are the chances?

My first away game was West Ham in 1979. A 0-0 draw with Phil Parkes in goal for West Ham having only signed for them a couple of weeks before.

Looking back, what were my parents thinking of taking little 10 year old me somewhere like Upton Park back in those days!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Mine was that game against Aldershot (again) in the 70s when there was a pitch invasion and much swinging on the crossbar. No idea what the score was or exactly what year it was but it did leave a lasting impression on a young'un :hilton:

1-1

lost at Millwall a couple of days later that basically ruined our promotion chances

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Luton 78 I think new years day, game abandoned when one down on seventy six minuutes ,Got chased through the streets after the game. Went with a colleague of the then wife who a few weeks later left me to join him,

Swindon???

just checked,your right,but I didn't realise the game got abandoned

I think we were 4 down at Swindon when that one got abandoned,lost the rematch too

Last edited:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
My first away game was West Ham in 1979. A 0-0 draw with Phil Parkes in goal for West Ham having only signed for them a couple of weeks before.

Looking back, what were my parents thinking of taking little 10 year old me somewhere like Upton Park back in those days!

That was my first away game with my mates, age 15. 35k crowd and segregation on the south bank consisted of a strip of tape (think crime scene). I remember a huge skinhead coming up to me and saying "you can't spot the Brigh'un...not wearin' colurs" to which I nodded sheepishly.

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here