Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What made you a Brighton fan?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Pretty much the same as most.....my late dad got me hooked at 5 years old! Too young to go back then aged 5, so had to wait till i was 10 for my first magical trip to the Goldstone, seeing the Albion beat Arsenal 2-1,the atmosphere was like NOTHING i'd ever felt! I'm pretty sure Andy Ritchie scored at least 1! What a start to MY Albion career! Never looked back!

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
Like many, my Dad, who doesn't even really like football, started the love affair back in 1982 in a League Cup second-leg game against Huddersfield. I really should be doing something more productive than listening to the live commentaries on World and wishing I was there when I am thousands of miles away. Sadly, or not, the emotional attachment to Brighton will be with me till the day I bid farewell to this mortal coil

Feb 28, 2006
Eastleigh
Again, my late dad took me to my first game in 77 v. Walsall at the Goldstone, we were in the south stand and I remember being amazed by the north stand and the support, and when the whole ground joined in with the chant of Seagulls, to add to the magic it was a floodlit evening game after a 0-0 first half the boys came out and annihilated Walsall, 7-0 full time score, I think it was 4 for Mellor and 3 for Ward, but it may have been other way around. Been hooked since that day, continued as northstander at Goldstone and now same Amex with my son. Happy days!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That throws up an obvious follow-up question ... what are the other 2, in your best 3 Albion defeats. Off the top of my head I would have to say mine are;

1) Brighton 1 Swindon 2. Play-off Semi-Final 2nd leg.
2) Brighton 2 Norwich 4. As above.
3) Sheffield United 5 Brighton 4. Just the most unbelievable game. 3-0 down at half-time, superb 2nd half comeback to lead 4-3. Their winner came in the last minute. Unreal.

Oh, I'd forgotten that Swindon game was actually a defeat. Yes, that should be up there. Didn't go to the Sheff Utd game but that would have been up there if I had.

The two I had in mind were West Ham 2 Brighton 1, in October (?) 1990. Absolutely cracking game in a pretty full time Upton Park, sealed by a beautiful West Ham winner about 10 minutes from the end. Went with a Spanish guy who was gobsmacked by the atmosphere and the quality of football for a second-tier game.
The other was a 4-3 defeat to Everton at Goodison in the early 80s - real end to end stuff throughout until Kenny Sansom scored a winner with virtually the last kick.

Was a big football fan as a nipper but kind of floated around between clubs, due to not really seeing much coverage of the Albion. My uncle then took me to see Albion/Carlisle in '96 at the Goldstone, and the rest, as they say, is history. Zeke Rowe scored the only goal of the game, and I recall thinking that he was the best player I had ever seen! The game was a week before the infamous York game with the pitch invasion...

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I was born in Sussex and neither I, nor any of my family, were Brighton fans. After I moved to London, I came back for matches at the Goldstone and it all started from there really. I used to watch QPR play at Loftus Road and still have a fondness for them, but there will never be any other team but the Albion for me.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Was taken by my Grandfather to an evening League Cup game in the 78/79 season against Millwall..... I had just emigrated back from South Africa,... talk about culture shock, but I was hooked. ( but I did see a pre season friendly in 1974 when back on holiday)

Last edited:

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
dad took me to Brighton v Everton in 1979 when I was 6, last game of the season and a 0-0 draw, but got the bug and have never looked back, dont give a hoot about the premiership and the battle for the title, prob sit down and watch maybe 2 prem games a year, really does not interest me. Seagulls all the way.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
dad took me to Brighton v Everton in 1979 when I was 6, last game of the season and a 0-0 draw, but got the bug and have never looked back, dont give a hoot about the premiership and the battle for the title, prob sit down and watch maybe 2 prem games a year, really does not interest me. Seagulls all the way.
That would have been 1980,... well end of 79/80 season.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
Shame the OP spoilt it with the ever tiring 'JCL' term... this patronising has to stop some time?

I am loathed to remember when I decided I wanted to support the club because I can't remember if it was 70 or 71 when they played Chelsea in an FA Cup tie. I went as a 6/7 year old with a bunch of blokes, friends of my dad to see my team Chelsea. My dad wasn't much into footy and supported Arsenal anyway, the sentence seems apt. Anyway from that day on I became a Brighton fan as well as a Chelsea fan and it never really stopped, although my loyalties are squarely with the Albion over Chelsea any day, and I have seen Brighton and the Goldstone more times then I would ever see Chelsea or Stamford Bridge and I would want Brighton to win every time v Chelsea. Was a strange thing to support them both. But anyway that is when I became a Brighton supporter and have been ever since.

Not strange at all. I am exactly the same. I was born in Sussex in '62 and my dad hated football. My first real interest in football was the fantastic 1970 Chelsea/Leeds cup final and replay. I was then taken to Stamford Bridge by my uncle in about 1971/2 (but was so far away from the pitch in the shed end that I saw f/all). However in 1974 I was taken by another uncle to see Albion v Bristol Rovers; Clough in charge; defeated 2-8; first taste of beer; packed ground; close to the action. I was hooked. Then, into my teenage years and off to the Goldstone every fortnight with my mates. Fantastic memories of the 'wonder years' '78/'83.

If Chelsea play BHA then without any doubt it's the Albion I'll be shouting for.

Moved from Sussex many moons ago and now live in France. My son follows Chelsea, but we are coming to the UK and attending the Gills game together. I hope, sincerely hope, that a bit of the Albion magic rubs off on him too.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
living in brighton. what's the attraction about starting to support a club with a tiny stadium with no roof? we all band together, and get a bit of banter going to keep warm.

Flex Your Head

I grew up in Peacehaven, and Brighton are the local team. My first game was March 1977 when I was 11. None of my family were interested in football, but my mate at school had older brothers who were regulars at the Goldstone, so we tagged along with them.
The game itself was pretty dull; (1 - 1 vs Tranmere) – but the whole atmosphere of the huge crowd, the beautiful green rectangle in the middle of the ground, the sights and sounds and smells… well, it was just awesome.
We were in the West stand, but for my next game, against Mansfield (we won 3 – 1 after being 0 – 1 down at half time) we went to the East stand and that’s where we based ourselves for the remainder of the season’s home fixtures.

My favourite game was the 4 – 0 drubbing of Portsmouth at an evening match that season. The sound of the chanting and the hammering of fists against the advertising hoardings was both exhilarating and a little bit scary and, when we left the Goldstone, I was amazed at how many coppers with dogs there were. I untied the “Mullery’s Marvels” scarf from my wrist just in case.

I went to quite a few of the games next season when we were in Division 2 and just missed out on promotion to Spurs, but buy then my pocket money and paper-round cash was being spent equally on the Albion and punk records and fanzines. I remember throwing the ball at Alan Ball’s face when it came off for a throw in against Southampton and he ran to me shouting “Give it to me, give it to me.”

Later on, after my mate and his family moved to Brighton, I started going to the Division 1 home games with another mate, Taff, and his old man. We always went in the North stand for the banter and the singing. I remember the poor old bloke who used to have to walk round the pitch at half time with the winning ticket numbers on a sign resting on his shoulder; he used to get such a barracking from the crowd – “MOVE THAT f***ing BOARD!” – even though there was nothing happening on the pitch!

Err, yeah… enough waffle. Suffice to say they were happy days which left an indelible impression. I live deep in Eagles territory now, but there are seemingly way more Spurs fans here than Palace ones. Weird.

BHAryan

BHAryan
Feb 8, 2011
Worthing
my grandad took me back in 1999 and i was football mad, ever since then i fell in love with Brighton, he can remember telling me as we went through the turnstile.."The clubs in a bit of a battle at the moment, youll understand soon and we'll come out better off"

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
as a child i used to sit in the back garden,by Portslade station,and the roar from the Goldstone got me hooked on to supporting brighton.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Saturday 11th February 1978
Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Burnley 1

My dad was working for BT in the Churchill Square office and won the fortnightly draw for the company season tickets for seats in the West Stand. I know he'd been trying for a number of weeks, but hadn't been successful.

As a six year old, it was the biggest day of my life. A truly spiritual experience when you realise deep down that this is going to be a part of you forever.

I couldn't express it much then, but I knew it was the most real and alive thing that I'd felt.

We didn't sit in the West Stand after that, but Dad made me a little box to stand on to see over the terraces. He even carried it down to the games when we made the pilgrimage up Holmes Avenue, along Nevill Avenue, down Nevill Road and along the Old Shoreham Road.

I've still got that little box at home. It's treasured as much now as it was appreciated then.

He'll be at the game on Saturday - a young 76 years of age. And yes, he'll probably be wearing a replica shirt. I know he's just as excited as anyone to see the Albion properly come home, just as much as when he took his youngest son to his first game 33 years ago.

Some things in life just shouldn't ever change.

Sergey Gotsmanov

May 11, 2011
South London
My Mum took me to the last game of the 92/93 season at The Goldstone when I was 11. It was my first ever live football match. Albion were 2-0 down after 5 minutes or so to Chester City but fought back to win 3-2 with Chapman and Nogan amongst the goals. I was 11 years old. I had flirted with following Spurs up until then but the second I saw the pitch and heard the crowd I knew that for the rest of my life there would only be space in my heart for one football club and that was The Albion. I will never forget hearing the roar of the Chester away fans after a minute or so and thinking to myself, "Why would anyone spend Saturday doing anything other than this?" Amazing game.. amazing memories. I feel priviliged to be an Albion fan, support a real football club and have a spangly new season ticket in the North Stand at the Amex. When i go to sleep at night i remenisce about two things.. girls i've slept with and goals Albion have scored.

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
Local team, got taken when I was about 7. Job done, for life.

this. dont remember who we played in my first game but first goal i remember is a gary stevens diving header from edge of the box own goal in what i believe was a 4-2 defeat vs luton. anyone remember this or know when it was. think it was about 82/83

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here