Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What made you a Brighton fan?

tom26

May 14, 2004
Lewes Road, Brighton
My Dad was a Gooner and both my brothers were Spurs fans. Go figure. So it should have been one of them, and nearly was; my older brother took me to the Lane at the age of 17, figuring I needed educating. It was rubbish. I didn't have any expectations, but I was still disappointed :) There was no atmosphere, even when they scored, and Spurs threw away a 2-0 half-time lead (against Bolton or Blackburn, I forget who) and everybody left glum.

Compare that to being taken to the Goldstone for the first time for the first round of the Auto Windscreen Shield versus Fulham in December 1996 by my lifelong Albion fan and oldest friend. We'd both ended up in the same Uni (Staffs in Stoke) and I'd just watched him spend his first term going to all the Northern away games. I knew he loved the club, he used to be a ball-boy in the 80's, but I'd never seen his passion up close. So I decided to go along with him to see what all the fuss was about.

We got into the Goldstone as 'kids' (we were students, OK?) and headed straight for the North stand. It was nearly dark by then, being December, but warmer in the middle of the crowd. I think we got some chips and shared a tea in a polystyrene cup that was too hot to hold and drink. I remember asking my mate what the words to the songs were - 'Build a Bonfire' had been going for a while by then - and of course 'Sussex By the Sea'. I joined in a few shouts of 'Seagulls' and 'Albion' and hoped no-one would spot the newbie.

I can't remember who scored first - we won 3-2, and I'd like to think we re-took the lead 3 times - but I remember what happened when we did. The whole crowd seemed to jump in the air, applaud and hug itself simultaneously and the NOISE. I saw an expression on my mate's face I'd never seen before and have never seen anywhere else - ecstasy in the true Greek sense.

When I asked my mate how good Fulham were - all this behaviour needed explaining - and he answered "top of the table mate": that's when I fell in love.

I'll be remembering that (and starting a B-R-I-G-H-T-O-N chant at Grimsby, and out-singing White Hart Lane, and thousands of Seagulls at Cardiff, and beating Man City) when I take my seat tomorrow and when we score for the first time in the League at the Amex on the 6th. And enjoying it for my mate, who can't be there as he lives in Oz. Much love Steve.

*deep breath* SEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS SEAGULLS SEAGULLS SEAGULLS

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
The old boy took me up there when I was seven, and I never had the nous to think beyond BHA...

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
Born and Bred my dad took me to the Goldstone when I was 6 I drove him mad and he never took me again but it was enough when life and circumstances changed been going since Brighton came back to Withdean.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Mum and Grandad, simples, taken as a 5 year old, saw Wisbech 10-1, Southend 9-0, not bad 2 first games, how could I support anyone else ?

I will be having a tear or 2 for my Mum, Brother, Grandad, Auntie, brother in law who I have lost and all keen BHA fans.

After seeing 'Brighton till I die' last night (had a few tears there as well), is there any other team that have had the 'times' that we have been through, must be boring being a Chelsea or ManU fan....... My son proudly follows them as well......

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I was born there.

I used to support them as a "small local team" and Chelsea as my "big team".

In the mid 70s we played them in the FA Cup. I had to decide, and have been only Brighton ever since.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
My Dad was a Gooner and both my brothers were Spurs fans. Go figure. So it should have been one of them, and nearly was; my older brother took me to the Lane at the age of 17, figuring I needed educating. It was rubbish. I didn't have any expectations, but I was still disappointed :) There was no atmosphere, even when they scored, and Spurs threw away a 2-0 half-time lead (against Bolton or Blackburn, I forget who) and everybody left glum.

Compare that to being taken to the Goldstone for the first time for the first round of the Auto Windscreen Shield versus Fulham in December 1996 by my lifelong Albion fan and oldest friend. We'd both ended up in the same Uni (Staffs in Stoke) and I'd just watched him spend his first term going to all the Northern away games. I knew he loved the club, he used to be a ball-boy in the 80's, but I'd never seen his passion up close. So I decided to go along with him to see what all the fuss was about.

We got into the Goldstone as 'kids' (we were students, OK?) and headed straight for the North stand. It was nearly dark by then, being December, but warmer in the middle of the crowd. I think we got some chips and shared a tea in a polystyrene cup that was too hot to hold and drink. I remember asking my mate what the words to the songs were - 'Build a Bonfire' had been going for a while by then - and of course 'Sussex By the Sea'. I joined in a few shouts of 'Seagulls' and 'Albion' and hoped no-one would spot the newbie.

I can't remember who scored first - we won 3-2, and I'd like to think we re-took the lead 3 times - but I remember what happened when we did. The whole crowd seemed to jump in the air, applaud and hug itself simultaneously and the NOISE. I saw an expression on my mate's face I'd never seen before and have never seen anywhere else - ecstasy in the true Greek sense.

When I asked my mate how good Fulham were - all this behaviour needed explaining - and he answered "top of the table mate": that's when I fell in love.

I'll be remembering that (and starting a B-R-I-G-H-T-O-N chant at Grimsby, and out-singing White Hart Lane, and thousands of Seagulls at Cardiff, and beating Man City) when I take my seat tomorrow and when we score for the first time in the League at the Amex on the 6th. And enjoying it for my mate, who can't be there as he lives in Oz. Much love Steve.

*deep breath* SEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS SEAGULLS SEAGULLS SEAGULLS

Oh no! Another JCL! lol

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Born in Brighton, raised in Brighton, live in Brighton ,support Brighton. Simple really.

SPonthewing

Oct 23, 2005
Sarf Coast
Well, My old man said be a Palace fan - really - that did it for me. He took me every London club as a kid and never BHA so they were mine - all mine. I saw Spurs Leeds in 1973 and Best at Fulham, all the 1970s boys at Arsenal and QPRs oh so near League with Bowles, Francis et al but never did I know the joy of football til I saw the coming of the lord and his name was.....

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
As an 7 or 8 year old i copied mates-1st Saint's then Liverpool....Family since 1952...i was taken to games in the 70's but too young...got hooked,after 1987 through the Argus(Albion defy the hangman again-by John Vinicombe 17 matches unbeaten-a club record)..but was always a footie type....started proper in 1988 had a scarf, blue n white, wrapped around my wrist and every thing back then.

RickofBHAFC

Jul 27, 2004
Living in Crawley I attended my first ever league game as a 15 year old with some school friends - 1979 we went to the Brighton v Burnley game, Brighton won 2-1 with Horton and Lawrenson getting the goals and I was hooked. My dad had never been a big football fan but I brought him along and got him hooked as well - not many sons who can say they got their dad into football usually the other way round!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
That's a cracking game to have as your first game - Kevin Reeves scored twice for them IIRC - one of the best three Albion defeats I've seen. What an introduction to the Albion.

That throws up an obvious follow-up question ... what are the other 2, in your best 3 Albion defeats. Off the top of my head I would have to say mine are;

1) Brighton 1 Swindon 2. Play-off Semi-Final 2nd leg.
2) Brighton 2 Norwich 4. As above.
3) Sheffield United 5 Brighton 4. Just the most unbelievable game. 3-0 down at half-time, superb 2nd half comeback to lead 4-3. Their winner came in the last minute. Unreal.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
As a youngster everyone at school seemed to support Man U or Liverpool, so went along with the Man U crowd up to early teens, then got my dad to take me to the Albion. Think my first game was in 1972, a 2-2 draw against Northampton Town. Fairly sure Ken Beamish scored. Started as a regular in the East and then North Stand around 1975. Worthing-born, local team, it all made perfect sense.

And still does :)

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I've got a vague recollection of being a Chelsea "fan" in the early seventies but once my Dad took me to the Goldstone a few times I was Brighton through and through.

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Was a gooner - first real footy memory was M THomas again Liverpool (i would classify myself as a glory hunter back then).

Couple of mates took me to first Albion game in 93 (Port Vale at home, last game of the season, lost 3-1, they got promoted i think) and didn't look back !

Been here for the past 3 1/2 years watching "the Amex" grow - can't wait to watch a game there in the next 12 months or so next time I'm back

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here