What are your memories of your very first game at the Goldstone?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
First game was 2 September 1967.
Versus Bury (who had Bobby Collins running their midfield).
We won 1-0!
Taken to the game as a 10-year-old by a neighbour in Mile Oak called David Knott - he only had a daughter who wasn't into football. He had been an Albion regular for years.
Stood on the front right of the North Stand and was over-awed by the noise, the chanting, the smell of cigarette smoke and the huge number of people.
Then the excitement when we scored.
I was hooked.
Went to watch us play Torquay two weeks later and we were beaten 1-0... but it didn't matter ... a life-long love affair was born and in that first season I would even go to reserve combination games when the first team were playing away.

Alfie22

Mar 12, 2008
My first game was Norwich at home in November 1985 and if anyone can find out the attendance and who scored that day (1-1) it would be appreciated because I can't remember, or find out, anywhere!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Can't remember the game.

Memories:

A fizzy cherryade type drink
Dad & Uncle going to the pub after near The Knoll School closer to Portslade though?
The Police Box
Massive Floodlight Pylon
Noise

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Can't remember the game.

Memories:

A fizzy cherryade type drink
Dad & Uncle going to the pub after near The Knoll School closer to Portslade though?
The Police Box
Massive Floodlight Pylon
Noise

Pub opposite the Knoll. The Maytree.

I must have been standing very near Mr Fosters Headband in 55/56. There are not many of us left who remember the Goldstone when it had the old wooden West Stand with the white picket fence in front of it.
The thing I remember most about those days, is the noise of the game, guys with big brown boots and brown leather footballs. The left or right back would tackle the winger as he encroached on his territory and bring him down with what from 5 yards away sounded like a building collapsing right in front of you.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
My Dad hated football and I did not see my first game till I was 19. It was December 1958,we beat Sunderland 2=0.I was really hooked then. Memories are of most of the men wearing cheesecutters,smoke and kids being passed over the fans so they could be in the front.I studied every league position,working out goal averages...and 53 years later...still doing it only now it's goal difference.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
1970 Bradford City H, an uncle took me in the south stand seats for the one & only time ever. Biggest memory, the sight of Alan Duffy coming on as sub..
Just loved being at a game as I was football mad. I was hooked, but as my old man wasn't the best of Fathers, I didn't go again until 72; mind you, it was the big one against Villa when we beat them with a Willie Irvine screamer, & I was in the North, it was bedlam!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
April 1974 v Tranmere think we lost 1 or 2 nil but ile never forget the chaos outside the ground trying to get in the old chicken run, i was having the life squished out of me and seriously shitting my pants , i had lost my dad as there were entrances for juniors and adults if my memory serves , i didnt have a scooby what was going on then i looked up and stood on the wall was my dad with another guy next thing i remember was being passed above peoples heads and up into my dads arms , the game was a blur and i cant remember a single thing that happend in it , i was hooked my dad never saw the Albion play again .

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Can't remember at all apart from we beat Stoke 2-0 and Peter Fox was there keeper i seem to recall.The following home match was against Millwall.

I have been before but not as an Albion fan shamelessly.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
1982 3-1 win against charlton with paul"tank" clark scoring a 35 yard screamer...........first game in the old div 1 was arsenal home 0-4 got split up from all my mates cos we got run ragged , ended up entering hove station from the arsenal side (southern) with my blue and white scarff well and truly hidden. eek

willow147

Mar 16, 2011
Romney Marsh, Kent
My first game was 30 Aug 1975 against Cardiff City as a wide-eyed 9 year old, sadly we lost 1:0. I stood in the west stand just next to the tunnel. After that game however the usual place was to stand in the chicken run.

I remember looking around for empty drink cans to be able to stand on to afford me those extra few inches in height (those were the days when the cans were a bit stronger). Later that season I had a wooden box made for me.

I went to almost every home game that season and didn't see the team lose again.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
My first game was Norwich at home in November 1985 and if anyone can find out the attendance and who scored that day (1-1) it would be appreciated because I can't remember, or find out, anywhere!
Norwich finished Champions that season,we finished 11th.
1-1 Scorer was Dean Saunders Attendance 10,432

Mine was 1978 vs Fulham...i remember the crowds walking down Newtown Road towards the ground, the noise as we got closer and my Dad sneaking me under the turnstile while he showed his season ticket :p

Mar 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
First game was 2 September 1967.
Versus Bury (who had Bobby Collins running their midfield).
We won 1-0!.
ncle

Wow, small world! I was taken to the game by an Uncle whos son didnt like footie!!! Stood on terrace in front of West Stand, only ever stood there twice. Think the other time was around the same season, a 1-0 win against Shrewsbury? Anyone able to confirm that?

ProfSeagull

Apr 7, 2011
Uckfield
It must have been 1992ish, I was about 8 against Exeter. We were in the south stand behind the goal, i remember the "ooooooooooooooo bullshitter" chants at each of their goalkicks and that the teachers didn't like it at school! Also being push into a room full of people to piss into a concrete drain pipe at half time! Oh yeah and celebrations when we scored three time, 3-0 Albion.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Barrow home 1963 aged 5 and can remember it being the most people Ihad ever seen and was hooked.
Favourite memories:- promo from Div 4 65, 6-0 v Ipswich 67, Pompey,Brum and Wolves League Cup run 68/9, Villa 2-1 72, Rochdale 1-1 promo 72 in a - 34,766) crowd, The Mullery/Ward/Bamber years, Miss World Mary Stavin in the stands when Don Shanks played, Koo Stark drawing jackpot tickets, Tommy Steele in a testimonial, Matt Le Tissier in a Brighton Shirt playing in Jimmy Case testimonial, 1983 cup games, Keith Cuss the oldest ballboy ever heading the ball into the crowd v Man City and getting sacked, Athlete Dave Bedford charity run round perimiter track, Slade performing ' Give us a goal' on the pitch, the protests and so so much more good and bad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports