What are your memories of your very first game at the Goldstone?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Of course in a few months we have a wonderful new experience to look forward to.

My recollections are different kinds of tobacco smoke, the orangeness, of the cinder track, and how green the grass looked. But best of all, the massive roar when ever we got near the opposition penalty area ( I am talking about 25,000 odd people) and my old man saying rude words he never said at home.

Oh men in trilbys.

I think my first match may have been a early spring evening game

Amazingly, mine are almost identical, but it was definitely pipe tobacco

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Erm..lates 60's i think midweek game one all v's Torquay...3 goals disallowed...n dad sed we cud go again if we wer good...i had the program along with hundreds of others until my parents had a clear out n gave them all away (EW%$%$%^%%!!!!!) i was a tad annpyed

March 1970 at home to Reading - we won 2-1. I was taken by a friend of my parents, and I was 9 years old. We were in the North Stand, which was crowded, and I was pushed to the front along with other boys so I could get a better view. Names I remember from the time are Napier and Templeman, the latter of which usually either skied the ball over the stand or narrowly missed the corner flag when he took a shot.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
ncle

Wow, small world! I was taken to the game by an Uncle whos son didnt like footie!!! Stood on terrace in front of West Stand, only ever stood there twice. Think the other time was around the same season, a 1-0 win against Shrewsbury? Anyone able to confirm that?

We beat Shrewsbury 3-0 that season, but it was the game before Bury.

We did beat Watford 1-0 mid-December and 1-0 vs Walsall and Southport later on in the season.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Very first game was at early in the 1970/1 season against Bristol Rovers, a win as I recall, when we were visiting my grandmother in Worthing. I was sat in the South Stand with my dad and the smell of his pipe, which came to be the smell of the Goldstone for me. Below us on the terrace was a group of Rovers fans singing a song I recognised from the 70 world cup..something like 'allemana allemana oo oo oo Brizul Rovers'. This was at the end of the rosettes and rattles period so I remember the sound of large wooden rattles and being bought a Brighton rosette. I also remember the 'Football League Review' magazine inserted in the programme and asking my dad what the alphabetically-listed letters on the board by the touchline were for. We moved to Hove a year later which was when I became really hooked.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Mine was a night game and a 1-0 win against Millwall in 1976. A friend of the family was a Brighton fan and took me and his son. We stood down the front of the West stand. I was 7 and was hooked. We went to most home games for the following few seasons. Then as I became old enough to go on my own, it was The North stand all the way. Stood with some great lads, like Big Kev and his mate spider (from Hangleton I think) and later on Rice Krispies and lots of other Portslade boys. Brilliant and sad times, but nothing will beat that feeling of wonderment of seeing the floodlights on and the green pitch and hearing the crowd roar for the very first time.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
My first games at the Goldstone were not Albion but Brighton Boys on a Saturday morning. Our teacher was Tony Geerts - a stalwart of Brighton Boys' football. He 'persuaded' us to buy tickets to the games to help the funds. So a few of us (aged 9 or 10) got the bus all the way to the ground and back again - no close parental supervision in those days. Amazingly most of the ground was open so we sat, watched & played on the huge (to us then) East terrace.
First Albion game was the Burnely 3-3 FA Cup tie in 1960 - so that was a good start. As my Dad played football Saturdays, I never got the chance to go, but my uncle took me that day, complete with his kitchen stool for me to stand on. We were right at the back on the highest part of the East terrace. I was hooked. as it turned out my Dad's game had been called off and so he had actually gone as well.
After the Doncaster last home game, I left the ground as I had first entered it - up the East terrace, taking one last look around and then out onto the north end of Goldstone Lane.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
Stood on the east terrace for a floodlit game against Colchester in August 1967. Had to stand on a milk crate. I can remember the noise because most kids had a wooden football rattle,

Charlie Livesey was magic on the wing and we won 4-0. In those days you could move around the ground so that you could be at the end the Albion were kicking towards. Could move behind the goals into the south and north stands if it was raining too.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
7-0 v Walsall, Ward 4 Mellor 3

It don't get much better than that for your first game.

I may be wrong but it was pouring with rain and and the first half was boring. Stood behind the goal in the south stand for the second half and watched all seven goals go in from Melleor and Ward. If Mellor hadn't spent so long trying to set Ward up for a hat trick Mellor would have sored at laest six goals. By far Mellor's best game for the Albion.

bhafc82

Apr 16, 2011
Brighton
November 1990 v Plymouth. Won 3-2 but I missed one of our goals just after ht. Got the program off ebay recently & it has a double page spread re a new stadium, quite funny looking at that now.

Devon Seagull

Sep 25, 2004
South Devon
my first game was at the Goldstone in 1976 when we played Fulham. I went with my uncle who has a barbers in Kensington Gardens. I remember hurting my little finger when I came off the stool I was standing on. can't remember the score but I am sure we also played Spurs soon afterwards. I then used to stand with my Dad in the East Stand corner north before that became the away end, then stood next to the chicken run fence again on the East Terrace.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I really could be wrong but I am sure my first game at the Goldstone was a midweeker between Brighton and Chelsea in the FA Cup in around 1972? Chelsea won and I had my Chelsea scarf on as an 8 year old. But that night I fell in love with Brighton and the Goldstone. I could never separate them afterwards and have supported both ever since. I was quite simply in awe of the ground, the crowd and everything else. I had been to the Bridge before that and even Fratton park, but there was something special about the Goldstone, and Brighton, and it has lived with me ever since.

inland seagull

Aug 7, 2010
Northampton
I remember the walk from Hove Station to the Goldstone in the early 60's (Roy Jennings missed a pen in my first game - one of many he missed) we cut through the Conway Street bus garage and I remember there was always a guy at the end of Goldstone Lane with a massive amount of rosettes on sale. Did Albion ever consider expanding the Goldstone by building on the site of the old bakery behind the South Stand?

Seventies Throwback

Oct 12, 2008
Rustington
My indoctrination into all things Albion.

There were some stars on show that night. Greavsie, Mackay, Marsh... and Mullers :clap2:

I think Spurs won 6-1 !

Attachments

• $(KGrHqEOKi0E0k(,Iql1BN,oHi16u!~~_12[1].jpg
    $(KGrHqEOKi0E0k(,Iql1BN,oHi16u!~~_12[1].jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 52

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Mine was a birthday party day out with a friend at Annecy school in Seaford when I was about 7/8. His Dad drove us in and we stood in the Chicken Run at the front. Can't remember the score or anything about the game bu we did stop in West Street after the game for some fish and chips. His dad that took us was Bran Powney's brother!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports