Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What are your memories of your very first game at the Goldstone?

IanH

9sept1978
Nov 6, 2010
missed the winner

9 sept 1978.

My dad took me. Allowed to take a little white stool into the stand in those days to help see over the crowd. Against Oldham Athletic...i don't recall it as being very interesting, even with the stool I couldn't see much. Got tired and I sat down amoungst the crowd only for Oldham to score an own goal. The only goal of the game. Still a wins a win. In the East stand I think.

:albion1::albion1::albion1:

Jimmy Grimble

Can't remember my first game there, or many games at all. My only memories of it are sitting on the brick wall at the front of either the North or South stand with some other kids, along with babies in prams just behind us on the terrace.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I'm not sure it was my first game but my first memory is of an early 1970s evening game against Palace - sat on the benches at the back of the old South Stand with my Dad - when the Albion fans responded to the Palace fan's cries of "Eagles" with "Seagulls" for the first time.

I'd love to know when that was played and what the score was - or is my aging memory playing tricks with me?

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I'm not sure it was my first game but my first memory is of an early 1970s evening game against Palace - sat on the benches at the back of the old South Stand with my Dad - when the Albion fans responded to the Palace fan's cries of "Eagles" with "Seagulls" for the first time.

I'd love to know when that was played and what the score was - or is my aging memory playing tricks with me?

24th Feb 1976 ?
Albion won 2-0

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I went with my uncle Ian, we stood in the chicken run, we lost 1-0 to Southampton and Sammy Nelson played for us (he was the only player I remember).

What was the year please?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
1955-1956 Season, standing against the wall at the front in the chicken run, looking across at the little wooden west stand and the noise of the wooden rattles and hand bells used to get behind the team.

nasjaq

Jul 16, 2010
This is the thread I've been waiting for!

Early 90s, the opposition wore red and black and there was a guy playing for them who looked like Wolf from Gladiators. That's pretty much all I can remember. Any ideas who that team would have been?

D

Deleted User X18H

This is the thread I've been waiting for!

Early 90s, the opposition wore red and black and there was a guy playing for them who looked like Wolf from Gladiators. That's pretty much all I can remember. Any ideas who that team would have been?

Exeter and a player called Danny Bailey. I think.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
First game at Goldstone was against Swindon in the cup in the mid nineties. My brother was the mascot, and I feel asleep lying down on two seats, which bloody hurt my neck!

nasjaq

Jul 16, 2010
There Exeter home shirt is red, so I doubt their away strip was red.

They wouldn't have worn their away shirt as there wouldn't have been a clash. Black shorts tho (I think) and red socks. I remember because he was the victim of a great/terrible/late/meaty challenge and his socks got ripped. This seemed to push him over the edge and he spent the rest of the game trying to kick lumps out of anyone who went near him, much to the delight of our supporters who wolf whistled at his every involvement.

Funny what you recall.

sammy g

We moved to Bton in 1983.My dad had never been into football, but eventually persuaded him to take me down there in 1984. We used to live near Dyke Rd and could clearly here the noise from the Goldstone and never have anywhere to park from 12pm pm a Saturday.

My first game was an evening game, sat in the South Stand and watched us beat Oldham 2-0. I think Terry Conner scored.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
My first game was Nottingham Forest in the early 70's. My Dad had tickets for the directors box for some reason, so he took me along. I was about 6. Dont remember much about it other than I was convinced that Brighton had won 2-1, but the score was actually 2-2!!

My main memory of the gooners game in '79, other than the North Stand being invaded all game, was some mad woman standing next to me who spent most of the game throwing Aniseed Balls at the opposition!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here