Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Were palace singing abut being the oldest football club?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I sense a touch of sarcasm. So why start off with

You've even got the name of the road wrong.

100% wrong to say Brighton and Palace fans don't mix outside of game too. I worked in Crawley for 5 years. Three Palace and three Brighton in the same small office. We'd play 5-a-side and the challenges were always a little spicy. One of the Palace fans was the COO and years later helped get me a job somewhere else. I was sat waiting in the office waiting for the interview and he greeted me with "what are you doing in my office Brighton scum?". (Great bloke, still in contact with him).

Also 100% wrong to say it doesn't matter to new fans. Loads of younger ones there on Saturday in our end who completely get it.

If you're 40 you may fall into a small cohort who don't care but it's not something to base a whole "it's not a rivalry" post on. It is. End of.
Lived and worked in South London most of my adult life.
My feelings on this are that ALL Palace fans are ignorant morons, who don't deserve a moments consideration.

That is, with the exception of every Palace fan I have actually met or worked with.
They've all been decent people and knowledgeable fans.
I even have a couple amongst my closest friends.......... but the rest of them, lower than scum!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Do we still get a reduced allocation at Selhurst?
I thought we were pretty good.
Normal away levels, not particularly good, but there wasn't that much to feed off, Palace were nervous and quiet.
The equaliser did take it out of us though. Was pretty half-hearted after that, annoyingly.

Sort of.
We get 10% of capacity.
Because their ground holds 26,000 we get around 2,600.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Sort of.
We get 10% of capacity.
Because their ground holds 26,000 we get around 2,600.
Ok I seem to remember we went down to 2k? after we had limited them similarly for the chaos at the Amex a few seasons ago.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Actually I saw one of the best pre match turns at Selhurst once when an actual Eagle or Kestrel was flown around the stadium by its handler or did I dream that. Was that a one off or a regular.

And I’m amazed the cheerleaders are still part of the set up.

(And I can’t bring myself to hate the Dave Clark Five - although it’s not exactly sung by many of em these days)
I thing the eagle was a regular thing. Not sure when it stopped but I do recall it being flown really close to the away supporters at one match (Charlton?) and one of the fans punched it (and got banged up for it IIRC).

ETA https://www.skysports.com/football/...-eagle-mascot-punched-by-rival-fan-court-told

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
So we're no closer to finding out if palace were singing about being formed in 1861?

Would any of the palace that used to plague the board but now linger in the shadows like to answer? Is it a chant? Was it bout being formed in 1861? Or was I hearing things in the early hours of the morning(very possible)? This is a palace thread so you can wade in anytime...

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
So we're no closer to finding out if palace were singing about being formed in 1861?

Would any of the palace that used to plague the board but now linger in the shadows like to answer? Is it a chant? Was it bout being formed in 1861? Or was I hearing things in the early hours of the morning(very possible)? This is a palace thread so you can wade in anytime...
Just done a tiny bit of research and found this: https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/club/cr...ldest-professional-association-football-club/

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Yes, I know about the claim. I also know that it is a load of baloney and has even been dismissed by the club's official historian. That's why I'm asking if they were singing about it because that would be mental.

I'm sure I heard them sing several times a typical palace dirge that contained the line 'since 1861'. Seeing as that's the year some of them falsely claim they were founded I was wondering if that's what they were singing about.

I'm now beginning to doubt whether I actually heard it or if I made it up as no one has corroborated it from either side of the divide.

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
Yes, I know about the claim. I also know that it is a load of baloney and has even been dismissed by the club's official historian. That's why I'm asking if they were singing about it because that would be mental.

I'm sure I heard them sing several times a typical palace dirge that contained the line 'since 1861'. Seeing as that's the year some of them falsely claim they were founded I was wondering if that's what they were singing about.

I'm now beginning to doubt whether I actually heard it or if I made it up as no one has corroborated it from either side of the divide.
It’s definitely a bit of an odd chant.

Says here on wiki they dissolved in 1876?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I wonder if FIFA are going to have to drop the 'China invented football' nonsense, and finally admit that it was invented by Crystal Palace.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Crystal Palace F.C. was an amateur football club formed in 1861.

The club's last recorded match was against Barnes F.C. on 18 December 1875.
The Crystal Palace Company had experienced a financial crisis during that year, partly as a result of being sued by its refreshment contractor

This may have some truth to it, the similarities are astounding. :oops:

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
I’m almost 40 years old.
I’m 41. I definitely ‘get it’ but then I was raised right haha

…and educated myself by reading about the history. I may not have been the fan I am now then obviously, but this is my club and I care as much about its past as I do the present.

I grew up around it, went to games from a young age and ‘felt’ it!

…..but one recollection that lasts VERY long in the memory is when my dads friends supplied me with a palace shirt at a social gathering and I walked into the house claiming to be a Palace fan now. I LOVED a good wind up even at a young age and did quite a good job of convincing my dad it was legit if I do say so myself, haha. My dad went ballistic!! haha

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
one recollection lasts VERY long in the memory when my dads friends supplied me with a palace shirt at a social gathering and I walked into the house claiming to be a Palace fan now. I LOVED a good wind up even at a young age and did quite a good job of convincing my dad it was legit if I do say so myself, haha. My dad went ballistic!! haha
I don't advocate violence against anyone, let alone children, but every now and again punish:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
By the way - The lie about their history is IMHO, in a challenging pantheon of options, perhaps the most pathetic thing that they've done this century.

The vandalising of their own bus & the assault on their own steward were done by the fans not the club;
The shirt with the spelling Chrystal was at least spotted before it went on sale;
The lies about finding and banning those who had assaulted the steward whilst forcing entry to the Amex was just backtracking by a scared owner who didn't want to take on a group that he sees as providing the only atmosphere they have at home games;
The moving of long term fans to allow special treatment for that lot was cowardly and shameful, but led by the same selfish instinct as not banning them;
The lies about the coachdriver's bowel movements were lies of omission done in an underhand way that allowed them plausible deniability. They've never apologised publicly, but our expectations are so low, who is surprised?
They can blame shafting local businesses and the St Johns on previous owners and at least the long term fans, (some - later shafted over seat placements) had a whip round to cover their shame;
The seven game run of defeats without scoring a goal at the beginning of 2017, was at least halted by the lucky availability of Roy Hodgson;

But lying about the year they were formed, putting the false date on their badge, against the advice of the Football Association, National Football Museum, available evidence, all objective football historians and some of their own fans, for me just puts them in the same realm of MK Dons. They have the excuse that the club who's history they stole is long dead, but at least, after four years and stealing a football league membership, MK Dons renounced ownership of a history that was never theirs. Palace's disregard of truth has a nasty Orwellian arrogance to it. The past is alterable. We say its true - Therefore it's true. - We have always been at war with Eastasia - I have little regard for Steve Parish*, but this kind of laughable and barefaced dishonesty suggests that I may actually overestimated him.

* - Incidentally, I listened open mouthed to him on Newsnight being interviewed about the new Government proposals. At eleven minutes he responds to a question saying that he's concerned that owner's debt just ends up in the pockets of the players. He goes on to say that he's passionate that clubs don't improve from owner to owner if the infrastructure stays the same. 😲https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001jgmn/newsnight-government-shakes-up-football.

It's ten years since this report in May Steve: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22689119. Plans were embryonic in 2013 and they hope to start work before the end of this year. An African elephant could have carried 5 babies from embryo to term in the time he's been (passionately?) spending the best part of £275 million on transfers and reaching a figure of 95% of total revenue being spent on wages. It won't be long before their redevelopment of one stand will have taken longer than it took Brighton to build a whole stadium even with a ten year planning battle to contend with.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
They had 1905 written on their shirts a few years back 1 and lots of t shirts with it on - what happened in that year then?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Crystal Palace F.C. was an amateur football club formed in 1861.

The club's last recorded match was against Barnes F.C. on 18 December 1875.
The Crystal Palace Company had experienced a financial crisis during that year, partly as a result of being sued by its refreshment contractor

This may have some truth to it, the similarities are astounding. :oops:
:laugh:

I somehow missed that Palace (the actual club, rather than some daft fans) are actually trying to pull this deception off, so sorry if this is all repetition for the rest of you.

From their website:

"The team stopped playing matches for several years in the late 19th century – as did Civil Service F.C, whose foundation in 1863 is recognised by the FA and football historians – and when a professional Crystal Palace Club was set up in 1905 it acknowledged its connection to the Crystal Palace Company’s amateur team."

When it says they stopped playing for several years, they only actually played for 14 years, and then there was 30 years before the existing team was setup. The cpfc website continues with more lies in an attempt to make them something they're not.

Meanwhile, on the FA's website:
"The FA was formed there on 26 October 1863...
The clubs represented were: Barnes, War Office*, Crusaders, Forest (Leytonstone), No Names (Kilburn), Crystal Palace**, Blackheath, Kensington School, Perceval House (Blackheath), Surbiton, Blackheath Proprietory School and Charterhouse.

*Civil Service FC, who now play in the Southern Amateur League’s Senior Division One, are the only surviving club of the eleven who signed up to be FA members at that first meeting in 1863, when they were listed as the War Office

**This club has no connection with the present Premier League club"

:laugh:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here