Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Were palace singing abut being the oldest football club?

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
Come on, who are you trying to kid? We're doing better than Palace at the moment, but there's less between the clubs than there was when we were stuck at the Withdean. I wasn't at the game so if the Brighton fans were quiet, I can't say why - maybe in the days when we weren't as good we cheered them on because that's all we had - like cheering us on when it was 9 men against Burnley - whereas yesterday we knew we're the better side, but we also knew there was a decent chance we'd be robbed, as we have been so many times recently.

There's also the fact that we're playing each other twice a year now, whereas it was rarer not too long ago, so the anticipation built up for longer. But it's not because people don't care anymore, I know that.
Ive got a few friends in the Purely area. They all say our rivalry has been fabricated by Sky Sports and this embarrassing M27 derby title it’s been given. Apparently through the 90’s, most Palace fans wouldn’t have even known Brighton were their rivals (according to them)

I get it. We don’t really have anyone close to us so I suppose we have to choose someone to be our rivals?
But I do think it’s s bit embarrassing to pretend we’ve got some sort of deep rooted hatred for them when really, as you’ve said, we only play them twice a season and other than that, we never even cross paths with Palsce fans (speaking for those from Brighton). It’s a bit like all those people who hate Enya without ever seeing her live.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ive got a few friends in the Purely area. They all say our rivalry has been fabricated by Sky Sports and this embarrassing M27 derby title it’s been given. Apparently through the 90’s, most Palace fans wouldn’t have even known Brighton were their rivals (according to them)

That's BS. Sure the media tried to come up with a stupid name for it (M23, BTW), but we were rivals when we were at the Withdean and obviously it meant a lot to fans when we both in the Championship. It's got nothing to do with Sky. If your mates don't care, good for them. But if they think it's fabricated by Sky, they don't sound like actual Palace fans.

I get it. We don’t really have anyone close to us so I suppose we have to choose someone to be our rivals?
It doesn't sound like you get it at all.

But I do think it’s s bit embarrassing to pretend we’ve got some sort of deep rooted hatred for them when really, as you’ve said, we only play them twice a season and other than that, we never even cross paths with Palsce fans (speaking for those from Brighton). It’s a bit like all those people who hate Enya without ever seeing her live.
I'm not pretending it's something deep rooted or anything else. I'm not pretending it's like Pompy and SCC or Rangers and Celtic. I don't watch every PL game that's on TV, but if Palace are playing I'm very likely to, because I enjoy watching them lose. They've always been the result I look for after ours, because I want to see them lose. As a club I don't like them or what they stand for, and it's the game I most want to win. I think most people would call that a rivalry.

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
That's BS. Sure the media tried to come up with a stupid name for it (M23, BTW), but we were rivals when we were at the Withdean and obviously it meant a lot to fans when we both in the Championship. It's got nothing to do with Sky. If your mates don't care, good for them. But if they think it's fabricated by Sky, they don't sound like actual Palace fans.

It doesn't sound like you get it at all.

I'm not pretending it's something deep rooted or anything else. I'm not pretending it's like Pompy and SCC or Rangers and Celtic. I don't watch every PL game that's on TV, but if Palace are playing I'm very likely to, because I enjoy watching them lose. They've always been the result I look for after ours, because I want to see them lose. As a club I don't like them or what they stand for, and it's the game I most want to win. I think most people would call that a rivalry.
So what is it Palace actually stand for?

What is it I need to get to completely understand the rivalry?

Why does their view on Sky sports fabricating our rivalry mean they’re not actual fans? I thought fans were just people who supported a football team through attending or watching on a screen? Where’s the rules about what an actual fan is if there’s more to it?

Do I want Palace relagated? Not really. The matches between us are still fun and I enjoy the pantomime aspect to the game. Really doubt I would gain anything from their lose.

Maybe I’m just not sadistic enough? Or maybe I’m just not a real football fan?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So what is it Palace actually stand for?
Off the top of my head: financial cheating (not paying debts), diving, being fake (goal music, 'Ultras', having and Eagle fly in the stadium as if it's a native bird (see Philadelphia Eagles for a more appropriate use) and having no integrity (eg, promoting the lie that Brighton soiled their changing room, when it was their own staff). They're the sort of club that would offer a contract to Mason Greenwood if they thought they could.

What is it I need to get to completely understand the rivalry?
You don't need to do anything. I don't agree with your opinion on it, but if you don't see them as rivals, that's fine.

Why does their view on Sky sports fabricating our rivalry mean they’re not actual fans?
I just can't see how a fan who went to the games between our clubs before we were in the PL can think that the rivalry has somehow been created by Sky. Sky have nothing to do with it. I'd expect a fan to know that.

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
Off the top of my head: financial cheating (not paying debts), diving, being fake (goal music, 'Ultras', having and Eagle fly in the stadium as if it's a native bird (see Philadelphia Eagles for a more appropriate use) and having no integrity (eg, promoting the lie that Brighton soiled their changing room, when it was their own staff). They're the sort of club that would offer a contract to Mason Greenwood if they thought they could.

You don't need to do anything. I don't agree with your opinion on it, but if you don't see them as rivals, that's fine.

I just can't see how a fan who went to the games between our clubs before we were in the PL can think that the rivalry has somehow been created by Sky. Sky have nothing to do with it. I'd expect a fan to know that.

During the 90’s Brighton played palace only once and that was in the Zenith data systems cup. During the noughties we had 2 seasons where we shared the same league as Palace.

So 20 years went by and we played them just 5 times. Impressive how we maintained all that hate throughout those 2 decades, especially for anyone now under the age of 55.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Come on, who are you trying to kid? We're doing better than Palace at the moment, but there's less between the clubs than there was when we were stuck at the Withdean. I wasn't at the game so if the Brighton fans were quiet, I can't say why - maybe in the days when we weren't as good we cheered them on because that's all we had - like cheering us on when it was 9 men against Burnley - whereas yesterday we knew we're the better side, but we also knew there was a decent chance we'd be robbed, as we have been so many times recently.

There's also the fact that we're playing each other twice a year now, whereas it was rarer not too long ago, so the anticipation built up for longer. But it's not because people don't care anymore, I know that.
I wouldn’t say we were quiet. Was a decent away atmosphere till they scored. But, like I say, you’ve got very little to work with / against when all you’re countering is the always ultras. We got our current nickname out of taking the piss out of a Palace chant. Now you can’t even hear their words, as the OP of this thread rightly points out.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

If you’ve got mates from Purley who have an opinion on this then surely you encounter Palace fans on a regular basis outside of the games :shrug:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I wouldn’t say we were quiet. Was a decent away atmosphere till they scored. But, like I say, you’ve got very little to work with / against when all you’re countering is the always ultras. We got our current nickname out of taking the piss out of a Palace chant. Now you can’t even hear their words, as the OP of this thread rightly points out.
Do we still get a reduced allocation at Selhurst?
I thought we were pretty good.
Normal away levels, not particularly good, but there wasn't that much to feed off, Palace were nervous and quiet.
The equaliser did take it out of us though. Was pretty half-hearted after that, annoyingly.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
To be fair to Palace, none of their chants went anywhere near the appalling level of Leeds Utd fans’ Munich songs at the weekend. Absolute scum.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
If we're being generous, the club went into administration in 99 and 2010, but wasn't liquidated, so they can still claim they were setup in 1905. Presumably the one that existed in 1861 was liquidated (no doubt like countless other clubs around the country at the time) and has nothing to do with the later club.
Yes that is generous. But it cannot be a complete claim to have been set up in 1905 when that, and a later main legal entity ceased to be.

Fortunately, when sanctioning the two 'phoenix from the flames' subsequent legal entities, the authorities did not stipulate conditions that the new company could not mirror the failed in terms of name, nickname and club colours. This is something fans of both clubs should be grateful for otherwise our rivals would be nearly 12 years old and something like Penge Athletic FC, the dustmen, that play in pink and orange hoops.

The 1861 stuff is pretty sad, but it may help the quest to find someone wealthy enough to pay for the vanity project new stand.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

I'm guessing you are a fairly new Brighton fan?

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
I'm guessing you are a fairly new Brighton fan?
Yes I am fairly new in terms of our rivalry. I started watching the Albion during the 1995/96 season when we got relegated. By the time we’d got to the Amex, I’d only seen them play Palace 4 times. Never saw us during the 70’s or 80’s as I’m almost 40 years old.

Guess you need to be pretty old now to truly have all this built up anger for Palace?

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
I’m just trying to work out if your views on the rivalry have been wholly formed by a couple of blokes from Purley you met while you were travelling

Yes. You are correct. My views are wholly formed by a couple of blokes from Purely who met me travelling.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Yes. You are correct. My views are wholly formed by a couple of blokes from Purely who met me travelling.
I sense a touch of sarcasm. So why start off with

You've even got the name of the road wrong.

100% wrong to say Brighton and Palace fans don't mix outside of game too. I worked in Crawley for 5 years. Three Palace and three Brighton in the same small office. We'd play 5-a-side and the challenges were always a little spicy. One of the Palace fans was the COO and years later helped get me a job somewhere else. I was sat waiting in the office waiting for the interview and he greeted me with "what are you doing in my office Brighton scum?". (Great bloke, still in contact with him).

Also 100% wrong to say it doesn't matter to new fans. Loads of younger ones there on Saturday in our end who completely get it.

If you're 40 you may fall into a small cohort who don't care but it's not something to base a whole "it's not a rivalry" post on. It is. End of.

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
I sense a touch of sarcasm. So why start off with

You've even got the name of the road wrong.

100% wrong to say Brighton and Palace fans don't mix outside of game too. I worked in Crawley for 5 years. Three Palace and three Brighton in the same small office. We'd play 5-a-side and the challenges were always a little spicy. One of the Palace fans was the COO and years later helped get me a job somewhere else. I was sat waiting in the office waiting for the interview and he greeted me with "what are you doing in my office Brighton scum?". (Great bloke, still in contact with him).

Also 100% wrong to say it doesn't matter to new fans. Loads of younger ones there on Saturday in our end who completely get it.

If you're 40 you may fall into a small cohort who don't care but it's not something to base a whole "it's not a rivalry" post on. It is. End of.
Good to hear 👍

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here