[Football] Were palace singing abut being the oldest football club?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What makes me laugh about the palace fans is they are desperate to be seen as some sort of european hardcore ultras but in reality their shit chants and embarrassing ‘displays’ come across a bit MLS
That's actually harsh on MLS fans, but yes, I agree with your point. A bunch of idiots wearing black and pretending to be Ultras - it's just so cringeworthy. It's like having an 8 year old dressing up in a batman outfit. It's cute, but quite odd when they're still doing it at 17.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
No idea but relative to usual the atmosphere was crap yesterday from both sides.
With this I agree, as Palace were being played off the park I could see why we were silent as I spent much of the game mouth open not quite believing how bad we played, no passion from the players deserve no passion from the fans imo.

But also not much from the Brighton fans which surprised me if I am honest as your players were playing with passion on no lack of silky football.

There were times when it was all but silent from both sets of fans….peculiar!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
With this I agree, as Palace were being played off the park I could see why we were silent as I spent much of the game mouth open not quite believing how bad we played, no passion from the players deserve no passion from the fans imo.

But also not much from the Brighton fans which surprised me if I am honest as your players were playing with passion on no lack of silky football.

I thought we were ok for big chunks of the game.
Agreed nothing particularly special - but vocal enough.

Obviously we lost quite a lot of volume after the equaliser

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Similar explanation from us. We couldn't believe how comprehensively we were outplaying you without establishing a 2 or 3 goal lead. The gulf between our two clubs is great consolation this morning.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Apologies - I lose track of all their administrations
If we're being generous, the club went into administration in 99 and 2010, but wasn't liquidated, so they can still claim they were setup in 1905. Presumably the one that existed in 1861 was liquidated (no doubt like countless other clubs around the country at the time) and has nothing to do with the later club.

The biggest frauds in this regard, are Rangers, who were liquidated in 2012. The current Rangers FC are a completely new club, and have no claim on the awards won by the club that closed forever in 2012. This factual truth didn't suit the Scottish FA, so they are pretending that they're the same club, because it helps the image of Scottish football, but it's a lie.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No idea but relative to usual the atmosphere was crap yesterday from both sides.
My son's first Selhurst away day yesterday. He said afterwards that while it was obviously quite different outside the ground, the atmosphere inside wasn't really that different to any other game.

There's a few things in it I think. First of all the song choices. A lot of the "yoof" sing that "when Wilfred Zaha dies" song but I never really see anyone over about 25 joining in. It's a silly song. The SEGW is a panto villain to me, but still a human being. I have a tiny death celebration list but it currently consists of Putin, Bill Archer and a couple of politicians. Secondly, once they equalised I think we realised it was never going to be our day. When you have a perfectly good goal ruled out and drop one in yourselves it's deflating.

From the Palace PoV the HF, far from creating an incredible atmosphere, are ruining it. It's all about them and the rest of the ground barely join in. All you can hear is that f***ing drum and the occasional "whoa whoa". And that gives the away fans very little to respond to and the other stands nothing to join in with. Beaky thought it would make their ground amazing. Instead it's still a massive shithole containing cheerleaders and two hundred spotty oiks in black with a drum that blanks out what they're singing.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
That's the mystery. What the actual f*** were they singing about?

Part of me wants to believe that they're such a bunch of bellends that they actually would sing about a made up fantasy that they're the oldest club in the world and instrumental to the development and establishment of the sport. Another part thinks that despite being a bunch of bellends they can't be that laughable can they?

They did at one point come up with some 'research' that claimed there had been a club with their name as early as 1861 but it was later debunked on their own fan site by a proper historian.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
They did at one point come up with some 'research' that claimed there had been a club with their name as early as 1861 but it was later debunked on their own fan site by a proper historian.
I don’t really think any palace fan believes the founded 1861 malarkey, but is it a marketing ruse to attract

Not only that the amount of replica shirts seen around probably makes it worthwhile, even my lads got one and he is certainly in the 1905 camp.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The club setup in 1905 went bust in 1999. It's the club setup in 1999 that went bust in 2010.

Difficult to keep up I know.
They literally had 1905 on their shirts a few years back and now suddenly claim different - beyond embarrassing! So glad they have no chance of taking 6 points off us this season 🤣👍

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

I can see why it is quieter now. There isn't really a rivalry , is there..?

You don't rival us for the quality of football,

You don't rival us for the number of goals we score.

You don't rival us for the number of points we have this season.

You don't rival us with your dreadful and filthy stadium.

You don't rival us with the quality and honesty of our Chairman.

You don't even rival us with the number of supporters who turn up for games.

Can you see why the rivalry doesn't exist so strongly now....?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

That’s all fair enough this season but what about the last 30 seasons, some fans ( not all) kept the rivalry going when the gap between the clubs was huge….but if you say the rivalry should be over then so be it, can I go back to the old fashioned derby v Charlton and save all my hatred for Chelsea ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Actually I saw one of the best pre match turns at Selhurst once when an actual Eagle or Kestrel was flown around the stadium by its handler or did I dream that. Was that a one off or a regular.

And I’m amazed the cheerleaders are still part of the set up.

(And I can’t bring myself to hate the Dave Clark Five - although it’s not exactly sung by many of em these days)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Come on, who are you trying to kid? We're doing better than Palace at the moment, but there's less between the clubs than there was when we were stuck at the Withdean. I wasn't at the game so if the Brighton fans were quiet, I can't say why - maybe in the days when we weren't as good we cheered them on because that's all we had - like cheering us on when it was 9 men against Burnley - whereas yesterday we knew we're the better side, but we also knew there was a decent chance we'd be robbed, as we have been so many times recently.

There's also the fact that we're playing each other twice a year now, whereas it was rarer not too long ago, so the anticipation built up for longer. But it's not because people don't care anymore, I know that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports