Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Were palace singing abut being the oldest football club?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
In the first half palace were singing a dirge where the only line I could make out was 'since 1861'

What was the song? Were they singing about their risible claim of being the ldest fotball club in the world? Or was it something else?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
In the first half palace were singing a dirge where the only line I could make out was 'since 1861'

What was the song? Were they singing about their risible claim of being the ldest fotball club in the world? Or was it something else?
Strange chant for a 13 year old club formed in 2010.

Was it a reference to the now extinct club that died and went bankrupt?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Strange chant for a 13 year old club formed in 2010.

Was it a reference to the now extinct club that died and went bankrupt?
That's the mystery. What the actual f*** were they singing about?

Part of me wants to believe that they're such a bunch of bellends that they actually would sing about a made up fantasy that they're the oldest club in the world and instrumental to the development and establishment of the sport. Another part thinks that despite being a bunch of bellends they can't be that laughable can they?

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Forget the chants we must give them some bonus points for recycling their Christmas chocolate wrapping papers. It must have taken many hours to shift through the colours and then glue them together to make the little flags.
That banner looked like a BTEC Art project that failed to impress the examiners

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
What makes this especially fantastic is the bloke respected by Palace as the club's historian has openly dismissed it as untrue and provided all the evidence to counter the 1861 claim, which has literally no evidence at all. A club did exist in the area in 1861, but nothing to do with them. As I believe he's said, it's enormously disrespectful to the people who actually did found the club. Writing their actual heroes out of the story to instead celebrate a myth sums them up perfectly.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Their claim is absolute hogwash. A company set up a club in 1861, it went bust in 1875. This company set up another club in 1905, this went bust in 2010.
The club setup in 1905 went bust in 1999. It's the club setup in 1999 that went bust in 2010.

Difficult to keep up I know.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
What makes me laugh about the palace fans is they are desperate to be seen as some sort of european hardcore ultras but in reality their shit chants and embarrassing ‘displays’ come across a bit MLS
I'm told the Ultra culture they are trying to emulate, tends to not stop singing just because their team are playing shit.

Last time I was there it was exactly the same, hardly heard from them for 70 minutes, then got louder after the equaliser.
No idea where they get this "best atmosphere" tag from. Pretty much the same as every other club.

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
What makes me laugh about the palace fans is they are desperate to be seen as some sort of european hardcore ultras but in reality their shit chants and embarrassing ‘displays’ come across a bit MLS
We’ve got a few of these too. Brighton station about 40 minutes before kickoff seems to be where you’ll catch them best. They’re acting like they’re going to watch a football match in Helmand province.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here