Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

well done Crawley!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think we do. Lewes were getting all sorts of plaudits for their FA Cup run a few years back. Eastbourne Borough and Worthing have also been applauded on here down the years.

The thing is, there isn't a club in Sussex that will ever hold to candle to Albion's support as they will simply never have the fan base, and that includes Crawley. We're like Norfolk and Norwich really - the city of B&H simply dominates the county, so I like to see other Sussex teams doing well.

Well....bollocks to them all. I say.

Would your feelings change towards them if they managed to get to say, 2/3rds the size of Brighton roughly, in terms of attendance, league standing etc?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Crawley is not just Chelsea. In fact until Roman and Jose came along there weren't many Chelsea fans there. It was much more of a Spurs town. Of course, when they (Chelsea) started doing well, loads of JCLs, and yes now there's lots of Chelsea fans there.

But it's Spurs, Arsenal and West Ham too, a few Palace (and an even fewer Brighton.)

Remember it's a 'New Town' with most of the inhabitants (or at least their parents) having moved out of London.

As far as the Crawley team goes, it will be very interesting to see how they fare on crowds of 3,000 next season when they're not winning most games.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well....bollocks to them all. I say.

Would your feelings change towards them if they managed to get to say, 2/3rds the size of Brighton roughly, in terms of attendance, league standing etc?
I would probably like them a whole lot less if they ever became a threat to a Championship Albion. Luckily, our stadium has come along at just the right time.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Their behaviour in the cup game at Torquay last season is the main reason for my vitriol towards them. I was genuinely shocked when I tuned into Match of The Day and saw how they behaved for the entirety of that day.

Steve Evans is pure scum as well.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
It's not really true to say they don't like us. Some don't, but those people tend to dislike Palace too. Crawley is basically a Chelsea area these days anyhow, not BHA and not CP. Anyone who watches their local side deserves a bit of respect as opposed to being a plastic watching a Premiership team on the tellybox. And I for one am quite pleased that Sussex has two football teams - it really ought to be a big and populated enough county to support two, if not three or four football league clubs.

Crawley is not just Chelsea. In fact until Roman and Jose came along there weren't many Chelsea fans there. It was much more of a Spurs town. Of course, when they (Chelsea) started doing well, loads of JCLs, and yes now there's lots of Chelsea fans there.

But it's Spurs, Arsenal and West Ham too, a few Palace (and an even fewer Brighton.)

Remember it's a 'New Town' with most of the inhabitants (or at least their parents) having moved out of London.

As far as the Crawley team goes, it will be very interesting to see how they fare on crowds of 3,000 next season when they're not winning most games.

Not quite true, I've lived in Crawley most of my life and know loads of Albion fans, in fact there's quite a few that post on here.
I think the main reason people don't associate Crawley with the Albion is the fact that all the premiershit fans are much louder in voice than the Albion fans, but if you scratch away at the surface we are about. :albion2:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
The late Bruce Winfield funded last years promotion, this season his widow Silpa has carried on funding, although the money for transfers hasn't been as much this year, they are still paying very good wages.
As for buying better players than everyone else, isn't that what footballs about ? if you but worse players than everyone else you'd be a bit shit and get sacked !

When Bruce took over loads of questions were asked about the money, he always said it was "offshore investment" and was always secretive about where exactly

I'm sure the people that Crawley paid 50p in the pound were delighted (after Crawley initially offered 20p in the pound)

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
When Bruce took over loads of questions were asked about the money, he always said it was "offshore investment" and was always secretive about where exactly

I'm sure the people that Crawley paid 50p in the pound were delighted (after Crawley initially offered 20p in the pound)
Don't get me wrong, I dont agree with it !
As for what Bruce said, I don't know about any off shore investment, but I do know he & Silpa fronted up a lot of cash after the Majeeds f***ed off, he hated them with a passion and had nothing to do with them.
Bruce was my uncles best friend and after he died, Silpa promised she'd carry on funding the club.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley

The support is growing all the time, I reckon they have a hard core of approx 3200 homes fans and if they go up they can expect on average 1000 away fans visiting with some of the big clubs in league 1. If they go up and I fully expect them too, I think that home support will grow further to around 3700-4000, taking fans from Palace and Chelsea, in fact my boss is a Chelsea ST holder and has been twice this year, the rest of the time he has watched Crawley as he says its a better day out and proper football, not overpaid premiership idiots.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
You're not disagreeing with anything I have said though.

Manager is passionate, probably, I dont watch him enough to know, but he he was found guilty of tax fraud, and pulled a few scams in his time

The club is on the up, there is only one way to go if you have been in administration 2 or 3 times.

I never said anything on rivalry from them to us, i dont know if there is, they have been so far behind us to create any rivalry.

Anyone know where their money is coming from?

and on top of the other comments about where the money is coming from, dont forget the £2m they made last year in the FA Cup, Prize money for winning Blue Sq, £400k for Wes Thomas, £800 for Tubbs..........Nearly £500k from this years FA Cup.....thats all with out the investment from the owners.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Their behaviour in the cup game at Torquay last season is the main reason for my vitriol towards them. I was genuinely shocked when I tuned into Match of The Day and saw how they behaved for the entirety of that day.

Steve Evans is pure scum as well.

agreed as a person, but a very good manager.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Don't get me wrong, I dont agree with it !
As for what Bruce said, I don't know about any off shore investment, but I do know he & Silpa fronted up a lot of cash after the Majeeds f***ed off, he hated them with a passion and had nothing to do with them.
Bruce was my uncles best friend and after he died, Silpa promised she'd carry on funding the club.

I'm sure she was on the radio a few weeks ago saying that if the crowds didn't increase enough then Crawley would have to sell its more valuable players

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Crawley's home form has been incredible. Every time I've seen them this season they've won and looked very impressive. Selling Matt Tubbs for 800k was good business and making a healthy profit on him, I don't think it'll affect them and if/when they get promoted good luck to them.

A lot of Crawley fans are delighted that Brighton are doing well and getting the new stadium. I don't understand why so many people hate Crawley on here - Steve Evans is a cock granted and I don't trust him with all that money after ruining Boston United. It's great for the county of Sussex that we've got two league teams that are flourishing.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Me too, Albion first but I like to see all Sussex sides do well.

Yup, so do I. We get along to see Worthing now and again, and I generally look out for the Crawley score. The higher standard of football we can get played in the county, the better chance we have of youngsters coming through from the local area and filling our new Academy. :Albion:

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009

Such as doing what? ???

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I don't understand why there seems to be an assumption that a fan of one team would also support another, just because they are local. My support is 100% Albion and 0% interest in Crawley. Surely you can only truly support one team?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here