We need to talk about Dale

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Why would I be vindicated?? Why do you feel anyone needs to prove themselves to you?

I would be gutted to lose Dunk to one of the premierships relegation candidates, but can understand his reasons for wanting to leave. Stephens on the other hand, can ****ing do one, if what I hear is true. At least you can't accuse Dunk of having a hissy fit, although based on what happened last season, that might still be to come, but lets hope not.

There is obviously something going on re. Stephens, but I would wager serious money he has not had a 'hissy fit'.

Our manager, though his comments have been ambiguous at best, then goes on record saying the player has categorically not refused to play.

It just seems some fans get something in their head, and nothing will persuade them otherwise. Personally I see the situation as a 50/50.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
From what I hear, if Duffy comes in, it will be to replace Dunk. I am dreading the announcement that Duffy's signed, unless it's 10:59:59 on Wednesday, and Dunk's still here.

Hear from where? From what i've heard we want 4 solid centre backs. We have 3, 2 of which are coming back after injury with no guarantees there won't be a recurrence. Now you claim we're going to sell our only 100% fit CB, who so happens to be our best CB, 6 or fewer days before the window closes?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Club must think we are stupid.

If Stephens doesn't play Friday or against Newcastle on Saturday, he is offski. Don't know why they don't just say he is having a strop, ala Bridcutt

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

If Stephens doesn't play Friday or against Newcastle on Saturday, he is offski. Don't know why they don't just say he is having a strop, ala Bridcutt

Completely agree with this. I personally think they have agreed with the player and a club to sell him but will not do it until they have a replacement in. I just cant see the club not selling a player in the last year of his contract for 6/7 million if they know he wont sign a new contract.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I hope Dale is still here on 1st Sept but sadly I cant see it as likely with him not playing in the last couple of games. I guess Saturday will confirm that. Maybe we are waiting for inbound before agreeing the deal, I understand 6 million against nothing in a year. But adding to the required signings at this late stage when we still have big holes to fill isn't ideal.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I hope Dale is still here on 1st Sept but sadly I cant see it as likely with him not playing in the last couple of games. I guess Saturday will confirm that. Maybe we are waiting for inbound before agreeing the deal, I understand 6 million against nothing in a year. But adding to the required signings at this late stage when we still have big holes to fill isn't ideal.

I am sure the recruitment department are doing everything they can to fill the holes and would have been aware of the potential departure of DS.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Why do you think the club hasn't said 'His head's not in the right place'. They did with Bridcutt. It didn't harm his transfer or lower his fee.

Now, why has Chris Hughton categorically said, it was his decision not to play Dale, as he needed more fitness training, and that Dale hadn't refused to play?

We seem to be a club that tells the truth, so why lie now?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why do you think the club hasn't said 'His head's not in the right place'. They did with Bridcutt. It didn't harm his transfer or lower his fee.

Now, why has Chris Hughton categorically said, it was his decision not to play Dale, as he needed more fitness training, and that Dale hadn't refused to play?

Simple, the club learnt from the Bridcutt saga. They now say nothing except vague waffle and most of it is coming from CH. The only concrete comments came from Bloom who didn't dismiss selling him and said he couldn't force the player to sign.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Different managers, different policies? Maybe Charlie should never said that about Liam. He isn't exactly the sharpest tool.

How unfit is Dale? Can't even manage 45-60mins like BFG or March? There is plenty of games going on at the moment and he doesn't appear to even get on the bench. That clearly says he is off or refusing to play

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Simple, the club learnt from the Bridcutt saga. They now say nothing except vague waffle and most of it is coming from CH. The only concrete comments came from Bloom who didn't dismiss selling him and said he couldn't force the player to sign.

What did they learn from the Bridcutt saga? He was sold, which we knew, and admitting he was sulking didn't harm the price.

There certainly isn't vague waffle. I can categorically say he didn't refuse to play and needs extra fitness training
There's nothing vague about that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Different managers, different policies? Maybe Charlie should never said that about Liam. He isn't exactly the sharpest tool.

How unfit is Dale? Can't even manage 45-60mins like BFG or March? There is plenty of games going on at the moment and he doesn't appear to even get on the bench. That clearly says he is off or refusing to play

Charlie wasn't here then. It was Nathan Jones.

Dale got an injury at Crawley. I saw him with his knee strapped up, when the club had an open training day. He wasn't doing half the exercises the others were.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

Am i missing something. Why would he be playing friday?

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Even if he doesn't play against Newcastle I still feel there is a chance we could keep him. It's not a good sign granted but I have every faith the club are doing everything they can to keep him and add others. Watch this space.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Charlie wasn't here then. It was Nathan Jones.

Dale got an injury at Crawley. I saw him with his knee strapped up, when the club had an open training day. He wasn't doing half the exercises the others were.

My bad.

Still seems odd Stephens has gone from cameo appearance against Forest to now being to unfit to play in ANY team or game. And despite training last weekend and all week is still to unfit.

Can't be an injury as they would have said injury rather than unfit surely ?

Aug 23, 2011

Not necessarily. Hughton didn't play Dunk in august last year once the fulham speculation came in and in fact he didn't really play until late september as Hughton doesn't seem to like to mess with a winning team much.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Completely agree with this. I personally think they have agreed with the player and a club to sell him but will not do it until they have a replacement in. I just cant see the club not selling a player in the last year of his contract for 6/7 million if they know he wont sign a new contract.

This seems logical to me. Would prefer he was cosy here, but lose him next season for nothing...Noooooo!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My bad.

Still seems odd Stephens has gone from cameo appearance against Forest to now being to unfit to play in ANY team or game. And despite training last weekend and all week is still to unfit.

Can't be an injury as they would have said injury rather than unfit surely ?

As he was injured, he missed a lot of the pre-season games designed to get fit. He did come on against Forest but looked knackered.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not necessarily. Hughton didn't play Dunk in august last year once the fulham speculation came in and in fact he didn't really play until late september as Hughton doesn't seem to like to mess with a winning team much.

But 3 games this week, and he can't even get on the bench for any ?

Dunk, Knockaert both been subject to interest and bids and are very much involved ? What's different about the Stephens interest

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But 3 games this week, and he can't even get on the bench for any ?

Dunk, Knockaert both been subject to interest and bids and are very much involved ? What's different about the Stephens interest

There hasn't been any interest since 9th August at the earliest. That's when Andy Naylor said his counterpart in Burnley confirmed there was no fresh bid.
There's not a hint of anything since then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports