Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We need to talk about Dale

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Clearly ( and unsurprisingly) there's a lot more going on than we're being told. There is no way that Stephens would have sat out these recent games for any of the reasons the club is giving us. He is either injured, or the club is awaiting an improved offer from somewhere. Personally I hope he stays as was one of our key players last season.

My take on this is we have probably said to burnley and stephens that we will sell but only when we have his replacement signed. Hence Stephens not playing at the moment. It would be madness to risk a 6/7 million asset. My only slight doubt is the excuse from hughton is so far fetched it might just be true.

If stephens goes then good luck to him. He has been great for us and if for personal and football reasons he wants to go ooop north thrn fair play. The world will keep spinning.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My take on this is we have probably said to burnley and stephens that we will sell but only when we have his replacement signed. Hence Stephens not playing at the moment. It would be madness to risk a 6/7 million asset. My only slight doubt is the excuse from hughton is so far fetched it might just be true.

If stephens goes then good luck to him. He has been great for us and if for personal and football reasons he wants to go ooop north thrn fair play. The world will keep spinning.

If I were CH I would have restd him tonight. Nothing to see about his future today . . . .

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Unless Burnley offer the rumoured price tag (£10m) then he isn't going anywhere. I say rumoured as no one actually know, that amount is taken from Stephens tweet about Pogba's value.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Couldn't be bothered to read through this thread so sorry if this has been mentioned but my wife was looking at twitter and found a tweet by Stephen's wife saying how she was looking forward to her kid starting school for the first time. Significant bit was the wife's a teacher and she recognised the kid's school uniform and the school is in Sussex. Quite a positive sign ! thought although money could still change their plans I guess!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Couldn't be bothered to read through this thread so sorry if this has been mentioned but my wife was looking at twitter and found a tweet by Stephen's wife saying how she was looking forward to her kid starting school for the first time. Significant bit was the wife's a teacher and she recognised the kid's school uniform and the school is in Sussex. Quite a positive sign ! thought although money could still change their plans I guess!

That sounds encouraging

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
Just checked some dates on my official club calendar and the main player featured for September just happens to be a certain Mr Stephens... This is definitely an omen but I can't decide whether the omen is good (and he's staying in September) or bad (that he's leaving in September). ???

Just checked some dates on my official club calendar and the main player featured for September just happens to be a certain Mr Stephens... This is definitely an omen but I can't decide whether the omen is good (and he's staying in September) or bad (that he's leaving in September). ???

If he leaves it will have to be August or January.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Albion boss Chris Hughton is weighing up whether to bring Dale Stephens back into the squad for Saturday's trip to Newcastle.

The midfielder targeted by Burnley has missed the last two matches to catch up on his fitness after injuries.

Hughton, keeping his cards close to his chest, told The Argus: "At the moment I'm making decisions on the squad. He is available. I've got to make a decision on that one."

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...t_midfielder_s_involvement_against_Newcastle/

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

The kid would have to be in school next week regardless of where they were anticipating being in a month's time. You register them years in advance in some cases! Even if he moves, it's unlikely the family would accompany him immediately until he's found a house (and of course a school), so I wouldn't read too much into that particular tweet.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Albion boss Chris Hughton is weighing up whether to bring Dale Stephens back into the squad for Saturday's trip to Newcastle.

The midfielder targeted by Burnley has missed the last two matches to catch up on his fitness after injuries.

Hughton, keeping his cards close to his chest, told The Argus: "At the moment I'm making decisions on the squad. He is available. I've got to make a decision on that one."

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...t_midfielder_s_involvement_against_Newcastle/

May be going but will not playing before the end of the window if he stays IMO.

Head somewhere else at the moment I imagine

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Highly unlikely. If he does, someone will have to help Stephens to put his toys back in the pram!! I think we are in for a busy last few days of August!

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
They also sad we agreed a 4 million deal for Duffy which was bull
Is it? You may have to eat those words in a couple of days!! And if he does sign, it won't be to replace Greer unfortunately!

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Even though CH has categorically stated they have been his choices to leave him out, and not the player's?
Okay then. And you know that for sure? And you believe everything you hear in a press conference? mmmm okay.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Okay then. And you know that for sure? And you believe everything you hear in a press conference? mmmm okay.

You seem rather ITK. I take it you will be on here feeling rather vindicated when we lose Stephens and Dunk, bring Duffy in and approach the season with 3 first team central midfielders and defenders in the first season where our Chairman has stated automatics are the aim.

Equally, I would hope you'd come on here and state your utter cluelessness if any, or none of these things transpire.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
You seem rather ITK. I take it you will be on here feeling rather vindicated when we lose Stephens and Dunk, bring Duffy in and approach the season with 3 first team central midfielders and defenders in the first season where our Chairman has stated automatics are the aim.

Equally, I would hope you'd come on here and state your utter cluelessness if any, or none of these things transpire.
Why would I be vindicated?? Why do you feel anyone needs to prove themselves to you?

I would be gutted to lose Dunk to one of the premierships relegation candidates, but can understand his reasons for wanting to leave. Stephens on the other hand, can ****ing do one, if what I hear is true. At least you can't accuse Dunk of having a hissy fit, although based on what happened last season, that might still be to come, but lets hope not.

And I think you'll find if Dunk and Stephens go, we will be signing more than ONE defender! I don't recall saying I expect us to approach the season with 3 CMs and 3 CDs?? If we sell these two, we are allowed to sign more players you know!

Last edited:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
So you know for sure that Duffy wouldnt be coming in to replace Greer then
From what I hear, if Duffy comes in, it will be to replace Dunk. I am dreading the announcement that Duffy's signed, unless it's 10:59:59 on Wednesday, and Dunk's still here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here