Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We need to talk about Dale

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
In 'Football shorts' in todays Daily MALE 'Dale Stephens has told Chris Hughton he wants to leave Brighton amid interest from Burnley AND Crystal Palace' , ruined by breakfast reading that

Why is Ernest reading the Daily Mail is more to the point ?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I would guess at neither. TB and CH dont want to lose him and if he is still here on 1st September they will sit down and discuss the way forward in more detail I would guess and reach a solution agreeable to all parties.

I agree..................I still don't think we will sell him. I am not privy to any recent goings on but I know for sure that CH does not want to let him go and when he wants to hang on to a player he usually can do. He did it with Wes Hoolihan at Norwich when Villa were after him.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm not sure I follow. An employee can walk away from their contract only if the contract says they can, for example, if certain conditions are met. Otherwise, a contract is legally binding. If I resign from my job and I have a three month notice period, then I am obliged to work out that period. Are we saying that DS's contract has conditions that have been fulfilled (eg if an EPL club makes an offer of greater than £x million, the club are obliged to accept this)?

No I'm not saying the club are obliged to do anything.
If Stephens wants to leave he can put in a transfer request which will be considered by the club.
If the club want to sell then Stephens has to agree personal terms with the buying club.

Both scenarios are catered for within a contract.

Alternatively he can run down his contract and walk away.

My comments are a response to the post which stated Stephens owed the club more and He was a prick and could do one

I can see nothing in the current situation that warrants that point of view.
Every employee has the rights to consider their options at any point within a contract.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
If I were a nothern lad, born and bred but currently working down south and a firm came along and offered to double my salary to move back north within the security of a long term contract I might find it difficult to say no, irrespective of my feelings for the company I worked for. That said, two other factors which I would take into account would be my wife's opinion and whether the northern company making the offer were successful, well led and a good organisation to work for.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I have said before that I think CH is being hung out to dry here, we need to hear from Bloom or Barber on this situation

Maybe they've got better things to do than allay the concerns of ridiculously needy fans. Regardless of what was said it would confirm have a problem on the playing staff of the magnitude that the owner and chief exec have to get involved. Also Dale Stephens hasn't said a word in public so why should we start, we'd just be asking for it.

Just because we are fans doesn't give us the right to full disclosure from the club. I don't doubt Dale would be tempted by a move to the Premier League. I don't doubt we are trying to keep him. What more do we actually need to know?

You've got 8 days to wait out. Calm down & read a book or something.

IF DS were to go (and it's a big IF) there is already a list of potential replacements scouted as contingency.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
two other factors which I would take into account would be my wife's opinion and whether the northern company making the offer were successful, well led and a good organisation to work for.

Unfortunately for us

His wife will prb go where the money is
and
Yes they are having been in the prem numerous times of late. The remind me of how WBA used to be before they got established

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Unfortunately for us

His wife will prb go where the money is
and
Yes they are having been in the prem numerous times of late. The remind me of how WBA used to be before they got established

Er .. this is their second time no? Unless you're including the early 70's.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe they've got better things to do than allay the concerns of ridiculously needy fans. Regardless of what was said it would confirm have a problem on the playing staff of the magnitude that the owner and chief exec have to get involved. Also Dale Stephens hasn't said a word in public so why should we start, we'd just be asking for it.

Just because we are fans doesn't give us the right to full disclosure from the club. I don't doubt Dale would be tempted by a move to the Premier League. I don't doubt we are trying to keep him. What more do we actually need to know?

IF DS were to go (and it's a big IF) there is already a list of potential replacements scouted as contingency.

Fair enough we'll just have to leave CH to make more and more hard to believe comments as to why Stephens can't even make the squad anymore.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Far too sensible... not even a flounce. You have no place on this board, with your "rational" replies! Be gone.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Agree 98%

My 2% is that we may not have enough time to get these replacements in by the end of the window. If we had then we probably would have sold Dale when the bid hit £7m. As we cant get them till Jan and a whole lot of fitba would have been played by then.

But agree about the needy fans bit.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Agree 98%

My 2% is that we may not have enough time to get these replacements in by the end of the window. If we had then we probably would have sold Dale when the bid hit £7m. As we cant get them till Jan and a whole lot of fitba would have been played by then.

Which is why I'm starting to get a bit more confident. Every day Burnley don't pull the trigger on whatever fee it is we will sell at, his price tag is increasing.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Agree 98%

Dale would not be going out without someone else coming in. That's just how we roll these days. My gut instinct says he is staying.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If I were a nothern lad, born and bred but currently working down south and a firm came along and offered to double my salary to move back north within the security of a long term contract I might find it difficult to say no, irrespective of my feelings for the company I worked for. That said, two other factors which I would take into account would be my wife's opinion and whether the northern company making the offer were successful, well led and a good organisation to work for.

With a 40% relegation clause, I would stay put and take the 40% promotion bonuses.Negotiate at the end of the season.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Clearly ( and unsurprisingly) there's a lot more going on than we're being told. There is no way that Stephens would have sat out these recent games for any of the reasons the club is giving us. He is either injured, or the club is awaiting an improved offer from somewhere. Personally I hope he stays as was one of our key players last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here