Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ways to cut costs at the Amex.

smiler

Jan 12, 2006
Shoreham by Sea
The obsession with stewards is ridiculous.

If they are paid £10 an hour, work a six hour shift, and are employed 30 times a year, then if we got rid of 50 of them it would save £90,000.

On a tour of the ground we were told that there are 2500 match day stewards
A 10% reduction is a significant sum of money by your calculation

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Tickets - for us bad fans who don't have ST's why cant we print tickets via e-mail - I can do this for events at the Assembly Hall in TW, including scannable bar code. Or encourage more of us casuals to have smart cards - I thought that was the original plan for all to have them.
Not just for home games, collect pre-ordered tickets for away games. It may be small but it's a case of saving across the board.

oxymoron

NSC Patron
Feb 25, 2011
Easy, do away with all concessionary tickets, young, elderly,students etc.. Make it a fixed price for all sections of the ground, bring the prices upto the level of those of us that are
subsidizing the rest of you, and then you can all be in our club 1901..???

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Wow. Did I inadvertently stumble onto a Tory forum?
All these suggestions seem to be "make people unemployed to save a few perecent of our net loss" or "bloody scroungers, everyone should just be as rich as me and pay more because I can afford it and I can't comprehend that some people have less money or more outgoings than me"

How about we get ourselves a chairman that is vastly experienced in both gambling and investments. You know, one that knows how to assess a risk. Perhaps from high stakes poker or from building multiple multi million pound businesses. Someone like that would surely be able to sort out our debts. I mean, if we DIDN'T have someone like that at the help, I imagine we'd need at least 3 threads on NSC debating pretty much the same damn thing.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Once you give perks to fans it hard to take them away our problem is the costs of stewarding and hiring the park and ride also the stewards do replace the high Police costs. I thing we need to keep improving on the field build our fan base and win back the fans which may spend money outside the ground maybe introduce food wagons outside which add to the fan experience when arriving. Just a few suggestion oh sort the milk out for the teas that really annoys me.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe reduce the size of the travel zone too (either have Hove for the west instead of Shoreham or exclude the Seaford line). Would mean the money paid to Southern would be reduced.

Maybe offer the option to voluntarily opt-out of all or part of the travel zone, or have a range of travel zone options. Large numbers of fans who commute already have rail season tickets that cover part of the travel zone route e.g. Haywards Heath to Brighton, so would only really have need of cover for the Brighton to Falmer travel zone. Worth a try?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Maybe offer the option to voluntarily opt-out of all or part of the travel zone, or have a range of travel zone options. Large numbers of fans who commute already have rail season tickets that cover part of the travel zone route e.g. Haywards Heath to Brighton, so would only really have need of cover for the Brighton to Falmer travel zone. Worth a try?

Good idea that. People from East of Lewes have to pay for a ticket to Lewes anyway and its only about 70p more to Falmer so it would be cheaper for them to not use it.

Then you have the couple of thousand who pay for a parking space who dont need it. Reckon about 5k would opt out myself, which would save the club a fair bit.

Would need to have new STs for those who remain in it though so people dont try and rip the system off. Would also have to be compulsory for match-by-match tickets.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
The obsession with stewards is ridiculous.

If they are paid £10 an hour, work a six hour shift, and are employed 30 times a year, then if we got rid of 50 of them it would save £90,000.

A lot of stewards are from agency's which cost a lot more.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Wow. Did I inadvertently stumble onto a Tory forum?
All these suggestions seem to be "make people unemployed to save a few perecent of our net loss" or "bloody scroungers, everyone should just be as rich as me and pay more because I can afford it and I can't comprehend that some people have less money or more outgoings than me"

How about we get ourselves a chairman that is vastly experienced in both gambling and investments. You know, one that knows how to assess a risk. Perhaps from high stakes poker or from building multiple multi million pound businesses. Someone like that would surely be able to sort out our debts. I mean, if we DIDN'T have someone like that at the help, I imagine we'd need at least 3 threads on NSC debating pretty much the same damn thing.

Thank f*** for that, I thought it was only me.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Good idea that. People from East of Lewes have to pay for a ticket to Lewes anyway and its only about 70p more to Falmer so it would be cheaper for them to not use it.

Then you have the couple of thousand who pay for a parking space who dont need it. Reckon about 5k would opt out myself, which would save the club a fair bit.

:thumbsup:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

That's basically what was tried last season and blatantly didn't work. As has been said throughout this thread, that would mean someone taking responsibility for checking tickets, and nobody is incentivised to do so.

BrightonPara

Apr 6, 2012
Hahaha neither the match day or day to day car parking stewards are paid £10 an hour!! I know it is at MOST £8 or on match days more if you are a supervisor or stand manager. And believe it or not the day to day ones are there for customer service, they had the choice of putting in signs but chose people because they wanted a more friendly approach. The guy who is in the gatehouse is as you come into the site is stadium security not a steward.

There are around 250-300 stewards who work inside the stadium on match days and another 150 who work at various locations outside the stadium with whom are out sauced (costing more depending on the company)..... So the quote of 2500 stewards is outrageous !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here