Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

** Update: Will Buckley moves to Sunderland confirmed, three-year deal **

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Maybe this is just normal. I mean are any of us used to or have any knowledge of what it is like to a have more than just one asset in our team that other clubs want to buy? I would guess you would have to go back to the 80s to have a squad like that playing for us and then there was hardly any money in the game compared to now.
If we are doing well in the Championship it seems that we will always have seasons like this where the best players get cherry picked off by bigger clubs. Maybe we just need to accept it, take the money and look forward to building another good squad over the next few seasons like we did when we arrived at the Amex.

How derby have managed to hang onto and improved there squad

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Buckley doesn't have the pace he did before. And a Buckley that can't knock it into space behind a full back & leave him for dust is frankly not as valuable, useful or exciting.

Provided we add a replacement I'll be delighted.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
I feel strangely optimistic today. Purely because things can only get better right?!

Absolutely right, it cannot get any worse as we dont have any players left that are worth anywhere close to a decent sum of money - all our key players have been sold and replaced with nothing so far, are people really confident we will get in better quality than what we lost?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Slightly surprised we are agreeing a cash deal.
Thought we might look at a player exchange to avoid paying £150k sell-on to Watford. Sunderland have plenty of quality and a big enough squad.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I'm getting rather tired now, like it or not Buckley was/is one of our last remaining players who can change games by himself & looking at the squad now I'd say he is probably the best player we have left. Im a very positive fan I never post negative drivel on here but I'm definitely getting worried now, we appear to be losing all our best players and not actually replacing them! I know there is still time left in the window but leaving it late we are going to be priced out of moves & clubs aren't going to want to sell players unless we offer stupid money as they have no time to replace them... It's a vicious circle.

So yes, even me the eternal optimistic is getting worried now... I can't ignore the fact we are losing all of our best players and replacing them with worse players or nobody at all. 2.5M really isn't a lot of money for a player like Buckley anyway, injury prone or not.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Buckley can't be replaced. I have waited 50 years for a good winger with pace.

1. We don't appear to be playing wingers any more
2. We haven't seen him be really pacy for around 18 months now
3. He's always injured. When he's not injured he's playing at about 70% becuase he's so scared of the hamstring going twang again. A Buckley at full pelt is a fine player. A Buckley at half pace isn't worth a place even in our depleted first team.
4. The frustratingly inconsistent Lua Lua's been a better bet than Buckley for 18 months. Lua Lua a'int been that good.

If Orlandi was released due to being injury prone then £2.5m for Buckley looks like pretty good business to me on the proviso that the money is reinvested in the team. We can't afford to carry sicknotes. Our medical team have had a lot of time to sort out Buckley's problem and they haven't. Perhaps Sunderland will get the best out of him, I'm not sure they will though.

Last edited:

Midfield Minton

Dec 18, 2013
1. We don't appear to be playing wingers any more
2. We haven't seen him be really pacy for around 18 months now
3. He's always injured. When he's not injured he's playing at about 70% becuase he's so scared of the hamstring going twang again. A Buckley at full pelt is a fine player. A Buckley at half pace isn't worth a place even our depleted first team.
4. The frustratingly inconsistent Lua Lua's been a better bet than Buckley for 18 months. Lua Lua a'int been that good.

If Orlandi was released due to being injury prone then £2.5m for Buckley looks like pretty good business to me on the proviso that the money is reinvested in the team. We can't afford to carry sicknotes. Our medical team have had a lot of time to sort out Buckley's problem and they haven't. Perhaps Sunderland will get the best out of him, I'm not sure they will though.

If it appears we are not playing winger then we are set for a season of no plan b or c,this is my way of playing and even if I don't have the players too do it I will continue anyway

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
If it appears we are not playing winger then we are set for a season of no plan b or c,this is my way of playing and even if I don't have the players too do it I will continue anyway

We've had 5 years of that.... I'm used to it. Poyet was the most stubborn man imaginable with regards to changing his game plan, Oscar although fairly successful just ground teams down with his tactics and it wasn't exactly pretty, I actually thought the style for the first 45 on Saturday was a massive improvement on last season, just ruined by sub standard players & the red card.

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
We've had 5 years of that.... I'm used to it. Poyet was the most stubborn man imaginable with regards to changing his game plan, Oscar although fairly successful just ground teams down with his tactics and it wasn't exactly pretty, I actually thought the style for the first 45 on Saturday was a massive improvement on last season, just ruined by sub standard players & the red card.

completely agree

Midfield Minton

Dec 18, 2013
Leicester wa probably the most tempo and attacking flair seen last season by Albion.but as you say the quality for that has gone

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Agreed

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
vy2uty2e.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
, I actually thought the style for the first 45 on Saturday was a massive improvement on last season, just ruined by sub standard players & the red card.

Must disagree as last season although not as good as under Gus was far better in terms of possession and skill than any game so far this season. If we could combine possession with a quick change to attack all would be well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here