Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

** Update: Will Buckley moves to Sunderland confirmed, three-year deal **

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I always remember the words of Micky Adams at a Fans Forum c. 2001: "Don't sell a player unless you have a replacement already lined up".

Dodgy hamstrings or not, this sale makes no sense. We've already got £12million in the bank from players sales, so don't need to sell. Or is there something we haven't been told?
Perhaps the player just fancies playing in the top division? May be a good reason for some.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Gutted. What a player. Really trying to remain positive. He wouldn't have fitted into Sami's formation. But this had better be part of a huge masterplan to revolutionise the team.

If that is the case then you can say that about LuaLua and possibly March. I doubt that's the case.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If that is the case then you can say that about LuaLua and possibly March. I doubt that's the case.

March is seen as a cm now I think.

Lua lua been played there to .

Would t surprise me if that is the thinking ,

All ok if we spend big on 2 amazing wing backs

Stinks all this

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Perhaps the player just fancies playing in the top division? May be a good reason for some.

He signed a four and a half year deal in Jan 13, so he still has 3 years of it to run. Back then we were riding high under Gus.

There is no way Sami would be happy to see the back of a young, creative player like Buckley. Gus has proved he is a decent manager and if he thinks he can do a job in the Prem then there's really no question when fully fit he can tear up this division. Indeed, any manager worth his salt would want to try and work the magic to get the best out of him because he is a game-changer. This is why Poyet has bought him.

It's ironic that we were told our previous poor training ground was a contributory factor to his dodgy hamstrings, yet the moment we move into a state of the art training facility tailor-made to get him to his physical best he's off.

Quite honestly I don't know what the ****s going on at the club. The only way they can make this move palatable to me is to replace him with Elliott Bennett.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Buckley can't be replaced. I have waited 50 years for a good winger with pace.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Given Buckley's injury record I can see why we have taken the money, but this squad is now woefully short in terms of personnel. I think we are all in dire need of a pick me up as regards transfer news.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Buckley can't be replaced. I have waited 50 years for a good winger with pace.

Elliot Bennett was as quick, if not quicker. He also got far more assists than Buckley.

In fact I recall Bennett could have pursued a career as a sprinter?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
For those of you thinking this isn't good, how would you feel if we were signing Will Buckley? Knowing what we do today about him, knowing that on his day he is capable of ripping even the best defences in this division apart, but that those days are few and far between. Knowing that he may spend up to a 3rd of the season out injured and another 3rd getting back to fitness. Would you be happy for Brighton to spend 2.5 million on this lad? Or would you be saying we can do better?

Thanks for the memories Will. Hope your injury record seriously improves and you go on to be a world beater.
Good point:thumbsup:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Of course we will miss Will. But if a player wants to leave to move to the Premiership it is not easy to keep him.

Thanks for the memories - and I hope it all goes well for the lad.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
What the actual **** is going on at the Albion? Something seriously wrong in house at the moment.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I've always the ultimate optimist, but now my faith is beginning to wobble a bit. Perhaps it's reading all the negativity on here, not sure but now our squad has been ripped to pieces since January I'm beginning to panic.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Good luck Will. Another one deserting what appears to be a sinking ship.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
If we signed Bennett I would forget about any problems we have had so far this transfer window

We won't sign Bennett. He started for Norwich, and they may well lose Redmond still.

I'd be more than happy for us to bid for Anthony Pilkington though, surplus to requirements and has scored goals at every club he's played for.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Much like the Bridcutt deal I feel we've undersold. Oh well.

I wonder what the plan is? Did we push the boat out going for promotion the first few seasons and now are reeling in the spending, happy to tread water until the academy starts paying off?

Or i this some part of a masterplan where we have a tough first season under FFP only to emerge next season in a really strong position? Kind of like Hamilton going to Mercedes.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
We won't sign Bennett. He started for Norwich, and they may well lose Redmond still.

I'd be more than happy for us to bid for Anthony Pilkington though, surplus to requirements and has scored goals at every club he's played for.

Pilkington signed for Cardiff today...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here