Unreadable Heritage Stones

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Hi all!

Having received no response (so far) from either Ken Brown nor the Club itself, I have forwarded this email to Martin Perry. Unfortunately, he is away on leave until the 19th Sept, so I can only hope that a response from someone else will be forthcoming before that time.

Here is the e-mail - feel free to add comments/suggestions/criticisms. Thanks for all your help, folks!

To: ken.brown[MENTION=5978]bhafc[/MENTION].co.uk
Subject: Heritage Stones
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 09:52:28 +0000

Dear sir

I am writing to you in the hope that you will be able to respond to me personally, or pass me on to a colleague who is prepared to discuss the following issue. I have sent an e-mail to the Club over a week ago but have not received a response of any kind.

A few months ago, I (along with many others) were delighted to have the opportunity to 'Be a part of it', by ordering Heritage Stones (supplied by Parkers Building Supplies). Whilst reasonably expensive, I felt that it would be a fantastic way of displaying our love for the Club and a wonderful addition to the concourse.

To that effect, I purchased two stones - one for my elderly father and one for myself - and looked forward to seeing them upon completion. However, on viewing them for the first time and showing my father his (it was a birthday gift to a man who has been a lifelong supporter), the disappointment was extremely apparent. Neither of us could believe that they were so small, poorly constructed, badly inscribed and located. They certainly did not appear to be anywhere near as impressive as suggested on the website.

Whilst bemoaning their poor quality, I was struck by the number of similar comments I heard by other purchasers looking at their respective stones. With this in mind, I joined a Brighton and Hove Albion fans forum (North Stand Chat) with the sole purpose of expressing my disappointment and to see if others shared it.

I was amazed at the response and the sheer number of dissatisfied purchasers and so took it upon myself to gather details to pass on to the Club (and Parkers) in the hope that something would be done to rectify the situation. Please bear in mind that for most (if not all), it is not the cost that is the issue - although the 'bang for buck' is very poor - but the fact that a lot of these stones were bought as memorials for departed family members, gifts for lifelong fans and a genuine desire to, well, 'Be a part of it'.

In the few days since I started the thread ('Unreadable Heritage Stones'), I have received well over 200 messages of support, most of whom have purchased one or more stones. They are happy for me to pass on their names and their certificate numbers for the purposes of verification.

Bear in mind, this is the response from just the one forum and in just a few days, so it does indicate that there are an awful lot of unhappy people out there. This is such a pity, as we are all delighted with the new stadium - it is truly magnificent, and the team have responded in such scintillating style - that to be let down by something that should have been so easy to get right, takes the shine off somewhat.

I therefore ask you to peruse the comments made on the thread and I enclose the most recently updated list of purchasers, in the hope that either yourself or a colleague will be willing to enter into an informal dialogue as to what can be done to put things right. Clearly, we are all aware that this will not be high on the list of priorities and that any remedial works would have to wait until the end of the season, but it would be very much appreciated to have some indication of intent.

As a slight aside, there is also quite a strong feeling that the 'Falmer For All Campaign Team' and the 'Alive And Kicking' stones should (as was apparently promised), be placed in a position of prominence befitting their tireless efforts during the fight to get our Club back where it belongs.

Many thanks for your time in reading this, and I hope to receive a response as soon as is convenient, bearing in mind the lack of one so far from either the Club or Parkers themselves.

I can be contacted on the above e-mail address, or on 01273 XXXXXX, or by mail at:

Gary Green
XXXX
XXX XXXXXX XXXX
XXXX
East Sussex. XXX XXX

Kind regards

Gary Green

Here is the link to the thread on North Stand Chat and the current list of fans in support of the petition:

Unreadable Heritage Stones - Page 12

Username Cert. No.

afters 0004
ALBION 28
Alex, Alex Dawson oo! oo! 0542
Alton Seagull
Another Berkshire Seagull 0858 & 0859
anotherbristolseagull 0989
astevens76 0579
bathseagull
BHAFC_Edward 1242
Billy Seagull 0952
birthofanorange 1580 & 1490
BlytheMeister
bobby smith 0254
bobzam
bomber130 1744
Braders 0283
brightonseagulls1
bristolseagull
byf
c-c-c-sider 1404
Caveman
chimneys 0924 & 1046
clapham_gull
corralt
CPO 0 3 BHA 0276
DannyHoof
Danny Hoof 1482
Dawn Korus 1638
Deadly Danson 0742
DIFFBROOK 1018
Ditchboy 0939
Ernest
ewe2
forumwayseagull
generationx
Giraffe 1531, 1532, 1533 & 1534
graham moseleys gloves
Harold 1008
hastings
Henfield One 0116 & 0117
herecomesaregular 1610
Hillian 1
Horses Arse 0330
Horsham by the Sea
HoveHorace
Jack Straw 0129 & 0131
Jameson
Johnny Fever
kingcole
Kneon Light
LadySeagull 1021
levski seagull 0108
Lindfield by the Pond 0505
loco61 0684
LondonBlue
Lord Bracknell (Regarding the Falmer For All Campaign Team Stone) 0218
m20gull 1486
magoo
Marcus
Mayfair Seagull 0833
Mo Gosfield
Moshe Gariani
Mrs Coach
Muttley 1729
newhaven gull
nomoremithras4me 1399
october76 1027
One Robbie Reinelt 0608
Paddy 1568
parf 0217
Paul1960 0465
Ponce Mohammed Buzzer 0008
pork pie
portlock seagull
PrestGull
PWA
rexwedge 1684
rocker959
ROSM 0900
saltdeanseagull1 0271
scarby 1122 & 1123
scooter1
Seagulls over Essex 0497
seagull stu 0294, 0295 & 0296
Sibroadway 1595
southasp 0048 & 0049
spig100963
SuperMario 0017
Surport Local Team
Sussex
SweBHAFC
sweetmods 0861 & 0862
TAG76
Thunder Bolt 0202
timco 0225
Titanic
Tony Meolas Loan Spell 1096
Toongull 1620
Twinkle Toes
Vega 0036
WATFORD zero 1428
wellquickwoody 1324
wendy's tackle 0089
Wilko 0127
Winker 1124
Wozza 0003

To all those who have added to the list subsequent to sending the e-mail, I shall update the list at the next stage.

Gary

Oh, there are several others who have been edited out of this list at their own request.

Last edited:

Bisto

Getting older everyday
Oct 25, 2010
Brighton
Good afternoon, everyone.

I am currently awaiting a response to an initial e-mail sent to both the club and Parkers. Once received, I shall forward the ever-lengthening list along with a selection of comments posted thus far.

Hopefully, there will be somebody in a position to enter into a dialogue regarding the level of dissatisfaction and to propose suggestions to greatly improve the appearance and location of the Heritage Stones.

Below is an updated list - please continue to add your comments and cert.no.'s where possible. As it stands, it would be very hard to ignore the numbers so far, but we could certainly use as many as possible. Thank you all for helping with this! :)

Add me 0073

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Good evening, fellow 'whingers' (according to 'Easy 10', anyway - I trust that was a tongue-in-cheek inclusion?)

Still no response from the Club in any way, shape or form - very bad on their part, I must say. I will wait until Martin Perry returns and has an opportunity to look into this and hopefully respond. Failing that, I shall be attempting to involve the media, if for no other reason than to elicit an acknowledgement or statement from the Club that they are treating this genuine complaint with the respect that it deserves.

Please continue to add your details to the list - apologies for those that have been omitted but I shall attend to that very soon.

And thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement and support - banging your head against a brick wall has never felt quite so painless. :)

Nice one!

Gary

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Do you think a more formal petition with people's proper names would help? Or wait to see what response you get first.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Hi there!

My take would be that should they ignore this, I see no reason why adding real names would help - the Club could choose to ignore those also. Having said that, I think it would be foolish not to explore all other avenues in order to receive a statement of some description.

Martin Perry is due to return on the 19th Sept, so it may be prudent to await a response (within a reasonable time-frame) from him, despite the complete lack of courtesy shown so far.

What is the general consensus?

Gary

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
How about direct action. Each person could dig their own up re-do the lettering and then place them in a new more suitable area.:jester::jester:

Hoops Seagull

Nov 17, 2008
Hi all!

Having received no response (so far) from either Ken Brown nor the Club itself, I have forwarded this email to Martin Perry. Unfortunately, he is away on leave until the 19th Sept, so I can only hope that a response from someone else will be forthcoming before that time.

Here is the e-mail - feel free to add comments/suggestions/criticisms. Thanks for all your help, folks!

To: ken.brown[MENTION=5978]bhafc[/MENTION].co.uk
Subject: Heritage Stones
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 09:52:28 +0000

Dear sir

I am writing to you in the hope that you will be able to respond to me personally, or pass me on to a colleague who is prepared to discuss the following issue. I have sent an e-mail to the Club over a week ago but have not received a response of any kind.

A few months ago, I (along with many others) were delighted to have the opportunity to 'Be a part of it', by ordering Heritage Stones (supplied by Parkers Building Supplies). Whilst reasonably expensive, I felt that it would be a fantastic way of displaying our love for the Club and a wonderful addition to the concourse.

To that effect, I purchased two stones - one for my elderly father and one for myself - and looked forward to seeing them upon completion. However, on viewing them for the first time and showing my father his (it was a birthday gift to a man who has been a lifelong supporter), the disappointment was extremely apparent. Neither of us could believe that they were so small, poorly constructed, badly inscribed and located. They certainly did not appear to be anywhere near as impressive as suggested on the website.

Whilst bemoaning their poor quality, I was struck by the number of similar comments I heard by other purchasers looking at their respective stones. With this in mind, I joined a Brighton and Hove Albion fans forum (North Stand Chat) with the sole purpose of expressing my disappointment and to see if others shared it.

I was amazed at the response and the sheer number of dissatisfied purchasers and so took it upon myself to gather details to pass on to the Club (and Parkers) in the hope that something would be done to rectify the situation. Please bear in mind that for most (if not all), it is not the cost that is the issue - although the 'bang for buck' is very poor - but the fact that a lot of these stones were bought as memorials for departed family members, gifts for lifelong fans and a genuine desire to, well, 'Be a part of it'.

In the few days since I started the thread ('Unreadable Heritage Stones'), I have received well over 200 messages of support, most of whom have purchased one or more stones. They are happy for me to pass on their names and their certificate numbers for the purposes of verification.

Bear in mind, this is the response from just the one forum and in just a few days, so it does indicate that there are an awful lot of unhappy people out there. This is such a pity, as we are all delighted with the new stadium - it is truly magnificent, and the team have responded in such scintillating style - that to be let down by something that should have been so easy to get right, takes the shine off somewhat.

I therefore ask you to peruse the comments made on the thread and I enclose the most recently updated list of purchasers, in the hope that either yourself or a colleague will be willing to enter into an informal dialogue as to what can be done to put things right. Clearly, we are all aware that this will not be high on the list of priorities and that any remedial works would have to wait until the end of the season, but it would be very much appreciated to have some indication of intent.

As a slight aside, there is also quite a strong feeling that the 'Falmer For All Campaign Team' and the 'Alive And Kicking' stones should (as was apparently promised), be placed in a position of prominence befitting their tireless efforts during the fight to get our Club back where it belongs.

Many thanks for your time in reading this, and I hope to receive a response as soon as is convenient, bearing in mind the lack of one so far from either the Club or Parkers themselves.

I can be contacted on the above e-mail address, or on 01273 XXXXXX, or by mail at:

Gary Green
XXXX
XXX XXXXXX XXXX
XXXX
East Sussex. XXX XXX

Kind regards

Gary Green

Here is the link to the thread on North Stand Chat and the current list of fans in support of the petition:

Unreadable Heritage Stones - Page 12

Username Cert. No.

afters 0004
ALBION 28
Alex, Alex Dawson oo! oo! 0542
Alton Seagull
Another Berkshire Seagull 0858 & 0859
anotherbristolseagull 0989
astevens76 0579
bathseagull
BHAFC_Edward 1242
Billy Seagull 0952
birthofanorange 1580 & 1490
BlytheMeister
bobby smith 0254
bobzam
bomber130 1744
Braders 0283
brightonseagulls1
bristolseagull
byf
c-c-c-sider 1404
Caveman
chimneys 0924 & 1046
clapham_gull
corralt
CPO 0 3 BHA 0276
DannyHoof
Danny Hoof 1482
Dawn Korus 1638
Deadly Danson 0742
DIFFBROOK 1018
Ditchboy 0939
Ernest
ewe2
forumwayseagull
generationx
Giraffe 1531, 1532, 1533 & 1534
graham moseleys gloves
Harold 1008
hastings
Henfield One 0116 & 0117
herecomesaregular 1610
Hillian 1
Horses Arse 0330
Horsham by the Sea
HoveHorace
Jack Straw 0129 & 0131
Jameson
Johnny Fever
kingcole
Kneon Light
LadySeagull 1021
levski seagull 0108
Lindfield by the Pond 0505
loco61 0684
LondonBlue
Lord Bracknell (Regarding the Falmer For All Campaign Team Stone) 0218
m20gull 1486
magoo
Marcus
Mayfair Seagull 0833
Mo Gosfield
Moshe Gariani
Mrs Coach
Muttley 1729
newhaven gull
nomoremithras4me 1399
october76 1027
One Robbie Reinelt 0608
Paddy 1568
parf 0217
Paul1960 0465
Ponce Mohammed Buzzer 0008
pork pie
portlock seagull
PrestGull
PWA
rexwedge 1684
rocker959
ROSM 0900
saltdeanseagull1 0271
scarby 1122 & 1123
scooter1
Seagulls over Essex 0497
seagull stu 0294, 0295 & 0296
Sibroadway 1595
southasp 0048 & 0049
spig100963
SuperMario 0017
Surport Local Team
Sussex
SweBHAFC
sweetmods 0861 & 0862
TAG76
Thunder Bolt 0202
timco 0225
Titanic
Tony Meolas Loan Spell 1096
Toongull 1620
Twinkle Toes
Vega 0036
WATFORD zero 1428
wellquickwoody 1324
wendy's tackle 0089
Wilko 0127
Winker 1124
Wozza 0003

To all those who have added to the list subsequent to sending the e-mail, I shall update the list at the next stage.

Gary

Oh, there are several others who have been edited out of this list at their own request.

Please can you add our family's too

Cert numbers 0352, 0814,1307 and 1306.

Thanks for your work in contacting the club on this matter

levski seagull

Jul 7, 2003
brighton
hi gary, thanks for all your hard work regarding this, my stone is dedicated to my mum who passed away a couple of years ago, i would like to show it to my dad but i know if he saw it he would take the piss out of it. I thought i would feel so proud seeing the stones outside such a wonderful stadium but instead i feel ashamed, how can this be right??? Thanks again....jeff

seagullsoveroxon

Jun 19, 2011
We as a family bought our father a stone for christmas and was looking forward to seeing it at our first game against Doncaster and both my father and myself were very disappointed with the quality and position of all the stones ! Many were miscoloured ,unreadable and a bit of a letdown ! My cert number is 0133 . KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GARY !

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
I have no real problem with the location or size of the stones. I knew they would be fairly small. It's just the quality of the workmanship that is a let down. But at less than a fiver supplied and engraved what can you expect lol.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Very nearly purchased one, but glad I didn't. The word Heritage seems to have been completely ignored in the designing of them.

The typeface is awful, narrow sans-serif fonts don't exact scream 'Heritage'. The faded electric blue paint doesn't either.

Interesting that Parker seem to feel differently about the quality of their products:
Brick Engraving

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Well done for all your work on this.

I have two stones, one as a memorial for my father who took me to my first ever Albion game in the late 50s, and one as a result of my Alive and Kicking donation.

Have to agree with all of your comments. Don't have the certificate numbers and not sure where to locate them.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Thanks for the current additions to the list - I shall be sending an updated one to the Club....just in case they inadvertantly missed the first one!

@ goldstone: Are your certificate numbers not shown on the grid?

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Apologies for the double post, but I have just received this reply on the 'Ask The Club' forum. Strangely, it won't let me post a reply there so I thought it best to put it up on here:

Insider
Guy 'Tank' Butters

vCash
Mentioned
6 Post(s)
Tagged
0 Thread(s)

"Sorry, but the stones are quite readable, having just been down to look myself. They may have been cleaned since you visited, but also you have to allow for the fact that people will walk on them, cars drive over them etc."

I would like to know if that is the position of the Club, or solely your opinion?

So....what do you think of that, folks?

Gary

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Apologies for the double post, but I have just received this reply on the 'Ask The Club' forum. Strangely, it won't let me post a reply there so I thought it best to put it up on here:

Insider
Guy 'Tank' Butters

vCash
Mentioned
6 Post(s)
Tagged
0 Thread(s)

"Sorry, but the stones are quite readable, having just been down to look myself. They may have been cleaned since you visited, but also you have to allow for the fact that people will walk on them, cars drive over them etc."

I would like to know if that is the position of the Club, or solely your opinion?

So....what do you think of that, folks?

Gary

Not mentioned in the sales patter I would imagine...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports