Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unreadable Heritage Stones

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Are these stones engraved then painted? May have been answered but on tappytalk on iPhone it is a pain to search. Mr Insider doesn't seem to be too concerned

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Yes - engraved and then painted. Marvellously, if the blurb on Parkers is to be believed.

And no, he doesn't - nor does ANYONE at the Club, so far.

Early days yet. :)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The ay I read the reply Insider seems to suggest the traffic (pedestrians and vehicles) around that area on match days makes them dirty and thus harder to read. Has anyone who is unhappy with them on a matchday gone to the amex on a non-matchday to have a look? Is the problem still there?

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
The ay I read the reply Insider seems to suggest the traffic (pedestrians and vehicles) around that area on match days makes them dirty and thus harder to read. Has anyone who is unhappy with them on a matchday gone to the amex on a non-matchday to have a look? Is the problem still there?

I say mine two days ago and all seems fine.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
Agree that they are too dull and should be white as they would be much brighter but again with a bit of footfall or vehicles and rain they would be covered again. I have one in memory of my Dad, but it is there and we know where it is! Simple solution would have been to have it on a wall!

No gripes as you can't win them all!:cheers:

Last edited:

Aug 21, 2011

I have only ever looked at it on non match days, and when I first saw it before the season started it was still hard to read.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
"Sorry, but the stones are quite readable, having just been down to look myself. They may have been cleaned since you visited, but also you have to allow for the fact that people will walk on them, cars drive over them etc."

I would like to know if that is the position of the Club, or solely your opinion?

So....what do you think of that, folks?

Gary

Well I wasn't at all angry to start with but that's got my back up a bit. A lot of the stones are NOT quite readable at all, many look as though they've been there a hundred years already. Plonker.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
This is mine taken several weeks ago so could be worse by now. Not the worst but certainly not good enough at £99 + VAT! Which was a gift from my sister by the way...

111.JPG

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
i have just had another look at the flyer
the stone on the flyer looks very similar to garys above
apart from the dirty cement around it!
and i agree they didnt say that cars wouldnt drive over them
but
the writing on the flyer is a lot larger than on the stones
they misled us by advertising with "BE PART OF IT" over two lines
which is obviously a lot shorter than most or all of our inscriptions

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
If the response, as seems to be, suggests that a necessary consequence of match days at the Amex is the stones becoming dirty and that they are then cleaned and look better, that would seem to be a major error on the part of the club. In reality, these stones are going to be viewed largely, if not exclusively, on match days. The fact that they look wonderful on days when a tiny minority of those who purchased them get a chance to see them seems to me to be beside the point we're making. When the club advertised the stones they, and those buying, knew that they would primarily be viewed on match days. Indeed, you could make a reasonable case that many purchased on this very basis (i.e. a person would only purchase a stone if they were going to have a chance to see it and, working full time, that chance would arise only on match days). Therefore, the adverts professing to the superb quality of the stones INCLUDED a promise that that quality would exist on match days. Strikes me as a very simple matter of contract law.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
il pop up there today and see how better they look then if they have been "CLEANED", the insiders response is a joke.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes - engraved and then painted. Marvellously, if the blurb on Parkers is to be believed.

And no, he doesn't - nor does ANYONE at the Club, so far.

Early days yet. :)

Not exactly an easy thing to prove, short of descecrating the writing on somebody's stone, and probably churlish to even ask the question, but has anybody yet got any evidence of there being engraving under the writing? What lies beneath?

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
This thread is a wind up right? If not I dispare at some of our supporters.

'The writings not bright enough for me' you couldn't make it up:facepalm:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I am surprised by Insider's response. he's normally a good egg but this does seem to be an attempt to shrug off the concerns expressed by many. The questions raised by the OP seem to cover;

- quality compared to that which was advertised (answering 'I've been to have a look and they are readable' doesn't answer the question)

- The state they are in (answering well they are driven over) doesnt again answer the question).

- the location and the alive and kicking response (no attempt to answer this)

- failure to locate two or more items for the same family together (no answer)

- errors (no answer)

Then sending someone to customer services - the very department that has failed to reply to many people (and gave a bluff reply claiming people have liked them to the ONE person who I know of who has had a reply) is not a good next step

It does seem like we're in the amex equivalent of the Parrot Sletch from Mony Python where the club are trying to convince us that everything is alright when clearly it isn't Even SCCC went for a better quality of stone - most likely having seen what we ended up with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here