Top Gear's Clarkson suspended by BBC

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
The programmes in the studio do not interest me but I watched a few of the location ones , it seems to me they do not have much respect for the locals or their cultures and the important thing is to make the programme , I don't just blame the presenters but also the production team , and to say they had no idea about the Argentine number plate was absolutely ridiculous , I am sure if they finished filming without any hassle they would have mentioned it as an ending line .

Not really bothered either way if the show continues , Clarkson has become so stuck up his own arse over the last few years , Hammond has become arrogant but was ok to start with and May is the only decent one left (I hope he doesn't change with the celebrity status ) as I liked the other programmes he has done .

I know it is a popular programme so if you like it long may it continue , but I'm not bothered either way !

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If you let this punch you, YOU should be the one getting sacked.

image.jpg

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It's hard to call a side without knowing the facts - obviously throwing a punch (connecting or otherwise) shouldn't be condoned, but we don't know what spurred it on - if the producer was being deliberately provocative or insulting then some would argue that it is justified...but if it were because his chai latte was slightly too cold then it's ridiculous.

I don't mind Clarkson - I don't take much notice of his personal beliefs as i'm not as easily swayed like that, I've read a couple of his books and the're ok. It's entertainment and if they were to ditch Top Gear then that leaves one HELL of a big hole in their accounts to fill; there's few programmes on TV with as big a pull internationally as that.

I'm certainly not going to take sides or sign petitions based upon hearsay until facts have been published (if they ever do).

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Please let Top Gear go to Sky, then the Beeb can replace it with Mike Brewer and Edd China doing 'Wheeler Dealers', which is FAR more interesting.

In fact, if the guy hadn't died back in 2008, I'd have liked to have seen Boyd Coddington host the show. To have ANY credibilty a Top Gear host MUST have some mechanical nouse - Clarkson is just a clumsy wrench monkey.

Last edited:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
It's all-right Top Gear has just started on Dave.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I see an online petition is running to reinstate him, is there one to make his suspension permanent?

Reminds me of Stewart Lee's brilliant tirade against Top Gear, the Daily Mail of course missing the obvious satire...

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
The programmes in the studio do not interest me but I watched a few of the location ones , it seems to me they do not have much respect for the locals or their cultures and the important thing is to make the programme , I don't just blame the presenters but also the production team , and to say they had no idea about the Argentine number plate was absolutely ridiculous , I am sure if they finished filming without any hassle they would have mentioned it as an ending line .

Not really bothered either way if the show continues , Clarkson has become so stuck up his own arse over the last few years , Hammond has become arrogant but was ok to start with and May is the only decent one left (I hope he doesn't change with the celebrity status ) as I liked the other programmes he has done .

I know it is a popular programme so if you like it long may it continue , but I'm not bothered either way !

It's been a 'throwback' show for decades that should have disappeared along with the 20th Century and been replaced with a show presented by one hipster and two strong women talking about single speed bicycles and taking a road trip to continental Europe in search of duty free rolling tobacco, plus the pop outfit Everything Everything road testing a reasonably priced sit up and beg Pashley.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I find Clarkson boorish, racist, arrogant and a prat. I also find Top Gear hilariously funny, particulary the bits with Clarkson in it, and would be sorry if he went.

Its a slightly contradictory point of view, granted, but the funny bone likes what the funny bone likes.

Funny, I find him boorish, ravist, arrogant and a prat and I don't mind him for that - can be funny even if it's not PC. However, I can't stand Top Gear any more, just because everything us set up and fake. The fact that the show has writers says everything. For a supposedly factual show, it is anything but.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why start now?

The over-indulgence of Clarkson is the BBC equivalent of the Telegraph tensions between editorial and commercial interests, in which the commercial interests invariably win the day. Clarkson should have been sacked several times over by now.

Clarkson is a dinosaur, he lives up to that persona he's created, and is no doubt to a certain extent encouraged to by his employers. People love him or hate him, but as much as it may grate on some people, he's built a massively successful career out of it and a TV show that is a national and worldwide hit. He may be an oafish obnoxious arse who often oversteps the mark, but one thing he isn't is dull or bland, and christ knows there's enough of THOSE type of presenters infesting our screens these days. Would you prefer a legion of Philip Schofields presenting everything ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Funny, I find him boorish, ravist, arrogant and a prat and I don't mind him for that - can be funny even if it's not PC. However, I can't stand Top Gear any more, just because everything us set up and fake. The fact that the show has writers says everything. For a supposedly factual show, it is anything but.

I don't think Top Gear even pretends to be a factual show, hasn't done for years. Its all about cocking about.

Personally I still enjoy seeing the various locations, especially on the Speicials. But anyone tuning in to actually "learn" something is probably missing the point. The test drive reviews are absolutely worthless in a factual sense - how many of us are ever going to drive a Lambo flat-out into a hairpin curve and drift round it with the tyres screeching, whilst nodding sagely that Clarkson was indeed correct about there being "a hint of understeer" on the exit ? And does anyone really care that an Aston Martin Vantage is 0.4 seconds quicker round their track than an M5 ?

Its not about facts or reality, its scripted and fake. Its just a vaguely car-themed entertainment show, a bit of brainless Sunday night viewing for the drudgery of a Monday. Taken on those terms, I think its a pretty good watch most of the time.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.

And 'star in a reasonably priced car' is nothing but a plug fest for the celebs latest film/book/single/TV show/Kumquat shredder. It's not as if TV isn't stuffed full of chat shows already............

And as for brainless Sunday night viewing some of us remember something far more erudite in the same BBC2 prime-time slot, like Horizon, the Money Programme or Life on Earth.

If we want ' cocking about ' on a Sunday evening then why not bring back ' It's a knockout ' - oh I forgot, that's exactly what Hammond does on ' Total Wipeout '.

Last edited:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Because he's a racist, but afraid to admit it? Because he thinks dead prostitutes are funny? Because he thinks that everyone that isn't a middle class white male is beneath him and worthy only ridicule, because he's chums with Dave. Fascinating, really? I'd have though blindingly obvious would be more appropriate.

It really does. Yes I take your point about perspective - people use "disgraceful" to describe a poor Albion performance, afterall.

But let's be clear about this. That Falklands numberplate was needlessly provocative. And to see them all cowering behind the safety of an Argentine police convoy and then insisting it was all a misunderstanding and that they hadn't realised was utterly embarrassing and yes, disgusting.

Not so brave it seems, when confronted by Argentine war veterans and their relatives, some of whom needlessly lost their teenage sons on the whim of a military junta. I'm fairly sure a fairly poor country like Argentina would rather not spend money having to protect gobshite simpletons from the UK acting like colonials on their patch.

So yes, disgusting in my opinion. No better than the idiots luzzing plastic chairs in Belgium singing Bomber Harris and No Surrender songs.

Switching off isn't an option for me, I never switch it on. I don't like loud mouthed bullies, who are that far up their own backsides they assume they are unaccountable. I further suggest if you don't like people's opinions of 'Top Gear' or Clarkson in particular don't read this f**king thread.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I don't like his particular style or brand of humour but it's a bloody hard task to stay in entertainment for as long as he has and to be as successful as he has, most who achieve that are typecast and in order to keep working , play up to that image. It gets them work. I imagine if you play that part for long enough you probably take it too far. Another example is Danny Dyer, from some of his earlier films and theatre work you can tell he is a good actor, then he had to be the cockney geezer in order to keep getting the work. Fair play to them both I say just a shame some are too ignorant to know when to calm it down. Even if they wanted to, can you imagine what the BBC would have said if Clarkson had gone to them and said he wanted got tone down his presenting style.. Uh no, you'll stay as you are under contract and the way it is makes us millions. The production companies have to take some responsibility for their presenters/actors actions.

Last edited:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
The way that Clarkson was joking with Hammond and May last night on Twitter, seems he isnt massively concerned about this, James May seemed to suggest this has been blown out of proportion too.

Its been reported that the incident happened last week, then why was it only reported yesterday ? If I was assaulted at work, I would report it immediately, whether that be to my management or the police - but this hasnt happened. There is a lot, lot more to this than we know. Wouldnt be surprised if he just raised a hand and the producer is blowing it all up - that happens often in society these days.

The BBC really must try to sort the investigation quickly, this publicity cant be good for them. They need to either stick with him or get rid ASAP - simple as that.

Regarding Argentina - it was a REAL number plate. DVLA records prove that the car held that number plate way before Top Gear got it.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The way that Clarkson was joking with Hammond and May last night on Twitter, seems he isnt massively concerned about this, James May seemed to suggest this has been blown out of proportion too.

Its been reported that the incident happened last week, then why was it only reported yesterday ? If I was assaulted at work, I would report it immediately, whether that be to my management or the police - but this hasnt happened. There is a lot, lot more to this than we know. Wouldnt be surprised if he just raised a hand and the producer is blowing it all up - that happens often in society these days.

The BBC really must try to sort the investigation quickly, this publicity cant be good for them. They need to either stick with him or get rid ASAP - simple as that.

Regarding Argentina - it was a REAL number plate. DVLA records prove that the car held that number plate way before Top Gear got it.

No one knows exactly what happened unless they were in that room at the time, my opinion is that, if Clarkson did actually throw a punch which landed then he would have been sacked right away, maybe the director provoked Clarkson in such a way that 'justified' a response like that, either way if the BBC did get rid of him then they would lose a lot of money

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
An online petition calling for the BBC to "reinstate" Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson has been signed by more than 350,000 people.

Asked about the Clarkson incident, co-presenter James May told BBC News: "I think he's been involved in a bit of a dust-up and I don't think it's that serious." He said he had not been present.

Earlier on Wednesday, Clarkson's retweeted a message to his 4.5m Twitter followers from a Top Gear viewer which read: "How can BBC not show the remaining episodes of Top Gear, can't this be resolved without making the fans suffer?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31832698

I don't think Top Gear even pretends to be a factual show, hasn't done for years. Its all about cocking about.

Personally I still enjoy seeing the various locations, especially on the Speicials. But anyone tuning in to actually "learn" something is probably missing the point. The test drive reviews are absolutely worthless in a factual sense - how many of us are ever going to drive a Lambo flat-out into a hairpin curve and drift round it with the tyres screeching, whilst nodding sagely that Clarkson was indeed correct about there being "a hint of understeer" on the exit ? And does anyone really care that an Aston Martin Vantage is 0.4 seconds quicker round their track than an M5 ?

Its not about facts or reality, its scripted and fake. Its just a vaguely car-themed entertainment show, a bit of brainless Sunday night viewing for the drudgery of a Monday. Taken on those terms, I think its a pretty good watch most of the time.

Very, very much this.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The bottom line is that to a very sizeable minority Jeremy Clarkson is the king and Katie Hopkins is the queen. They are the articulators of unPC views in a very PC Britain, and the fact 200,000 people have called for Clarkson's reinstatement in just 15 hours says a lot

The parting of the ways between the Beeb and Clarkson seems to be a case of 'when', not 'if'. Yet he won't be able to get away with his behaviour on ITV or Sky either.

And what about Geoffrey Boycott? He's on the Beeb and kicked the sh1t out of his female partner, so surely if violence is out he should go too?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports