Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top Gear's Clarkson suspended by BBC

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
This won't do the Clarkson brand ANY harm. There's an unspoken kudos attached to a man decking another man. Not saying I agree with it, I don't, but it is there.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This won't do the Clarkson brand ANY harm. There's an unspoken kudos attached to a man decking another man. Not saying I agree with it, I don't, but it is there.

When you say 'decking' another man, there is nothing to actually say that the dust up featured anything quite so dramatic, otherwise it would likely be a police matter for assault.

No, far from this masculine impression of one man hitting another man in some sort of honour, this is more likely a boozed up Clarkson, taking a swing, most likely missing and probably falling into a table....

I can't imagine there is much in the way of kudos.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Nice bit of libel there.

"Geoffrey Boycott says he is saddened that a conviction for assaulting a former lover has apparently stopped him being awarded a knighthood, claiming he is being blocked by 'something he didn't do'."

Key word there = conviction.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
If Clarkson were that objectionable, 350m people worldwide would not watch his show. Perhaps this is actually what this is all about - have the ratings for this series gone down at all I wonder?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He was convicted, I believe.

By a French court that required the burden of proof from the accused to prove their innocence, rather than our own system of the burden of proof being required to prove guilt.

Feel free to test the libel in the UK courts against a French conviction that a UK court would have been unlikely to have upheld. Not something I'd be willing to risk personally...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
When you say 'decking' another man, there is nothing to actually say that the dust up featured anything quite so dramatic, otherwise it would likely be a police matter for assault.

No, far from this masculine impression of one man hitting another man in some sort of honour, this is more likely a boozed up Clarkson, taking a swing, most likely missing and probably falling into a table....

I can't imagine there is much in the way of kudos.

I would imagine you are probably correct.

Edit: good description of what likely happened by the way!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
"Geoffrey Boycott says he is saddened that a conviction for assaulting a former lover has apparently stopped him being awarded a knighthood, claiming he is being blocked by 'something he didn't do'."

Key word there = conviction.

If you're willing to test a foreign courts conviction against our own rule of law, then please feel free to continue.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you're willing to test a foreign courts conviction against our own rule of law, then please feel free to continue.

I'm working on the basis that Boycott probably won't want to take me to court over this. I may be wrong about that.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Flattered that JC would like to have "Where Eagles Dare" shown in place of Top Gear.

An Iranian interviewed last night who "dubs" JC on Iranian TV said he would also lose his job if JC was sacked. I think JC is admired in foreign parts as "Macho". This spat won't do any harm unless the producer wore lavender gloves. Prezza hardly suffered eh?

Be far more damaging if the Hamster was shown to be JC's or May's love-bunny.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If Clarkson were that objectionable, 350m people worldwide would not watch his show. Perhaps this is actually what this is all about - have the ratings for this series gone down at all I wonder?

Different people find different people objectionable for different reasons. We are all different.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
By a French court that required the burden of proof from the accused to prove their innocence, rather than our own system of the burden of proof being required to prove guilt.

Feel free to test the libel in the UK courts against a French conviction that a UK court would have been unlikely to have upheld. Not something I'd be willing to risk personally...
It remains a fact that he was convicted (OK, by a French court, but he was still convicted). Difficult to see how a fact could be deemed to be libel.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It remains a fact that he was convicted (OK, by a French court, but he was still convicted). Difficult to see how a fact could be deemed to be libel.

In principle, GB could take a libel action and prove in a UK court that his French conviction was unsafe, and therefore someone saying 'he kicks the sh*t out of women' could be successfully prosecuted for defamation.

He wouldn't need to prove his innocence, only that his guilt is sufficiently doubtful under UK law as opposed to the rule of law of which he was convicted.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
what i find most odd is why the people who hate Top Gear and Clarkson don't you just switch off your television set and go out and do something less boring instead.
or is the lure to watch it and sneer at "posh "(as one poster put it) people who like cars too great.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Either way,it's got him 20 pages here,extrapolate that across the internet, he's not done too bad out of it already exposure wise.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
The bottom line is that to a very sizeable minority Jeremy Clarkson is the king and Katie Hopkins is the queen. They are the articulators of unPC views in a very PC Britain, and the fact 200,000 people have called for Clarkson's reinstatement in just 15 hours says a lot

The parting of the ways between the Beeb and Clarkson seems to be a case of 'when', not 'if'. Yet he won't be able to get away with his behaviour on ITV or Sky either.

And what about Geoffrey Boycott? He's on the Beeb and kicked the sh1t out of his female partner, so surely if violence is out he should go too?

Boycott WAS sacked from Sky, BBC TV and the Sun following his conviction, only being reintroduced after his recovery from cancer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here