Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top Gear's Clarkson suspended by BBC

Blokey blokes and wife beating are out the window these days EPG. The metrosexual man, who knows nothing about cars, makes dinner and does the washing up are thankfully our future.
I give up!!'! the real man is dead, long live the metro hipster men with feelings and face cream! What a state us men are in😭

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Top Gear may well be back but just not in the guise we know it. Jonathan Ross got himself into a lot of hot water over "Sachsgate" and left. He's now back on BBC R2 covering the only idiot left on R2 in the afternoons.

I wouldn't say punching someone could necessarily be a sackable offence. There are lots of avenues to be considered. We don't know if this producer antagonised Clarkson to the point of snapping or not do we?

I regularly have "heated" arguments with my boss, and people have had to separate us. If he hit me, I'd hit him back. And vice versa. After the incident everything would be swept under our imaginary carpet to fester until the next one.

But we're both good at what we do so tolerate each other's existence. And to a certain extent need each other to do what we do.

I have a feeling that the Beeb has decided on this via a "PC" method rather than a benefit of the good.

If the producer was that pissed off he would have reported it. Clarkson probably thought the best course of action would be to nip the case in the bud but the directives and policies they have have put the noose around his neck.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The only saving graces in all this for Clarkson are that he's attempted to apologise to Oisin and that he himself reported the incident to the BBC. Of course, he's still done something wrong but it seems like he's owned it at least.

Shame, I really enjoy Top Gear. Can't imagine him being off air for long. Sky will come in with a massive offer for him, probably May and Hammond as well, and he'll be on telly in time for Christmas.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Top Gear may well be back but just not in the guise we know it. Jonathan Ross got himself into a lot of hot water over "Sachsgate" and left. He's now back on BBC R2 covering the only idiot left on R2 in the afternoons.

I wouldn't say punching someone could necessarily be a sackable offence. There are lots of avenues to be considered. We don't know if this producer antagonised Clarkson to the point of snapping or not do we?

I regularly have "heated" arguments with my boss, and people have had to separate us. If he hit me, I'd hit him back. And vice versa. After the incident everything would be swept under our imaginary carpet to fester until the next one.

But we're both good at what we do so tolerate each other's existence. And to a certain extent need each other to do what we do.

I have a feeling that the Beeb has decided on this via a "PC" method rather than a benefit of the good.

If the producer was that pissed off he would have reported it. Clarkson probably thought the best course of action would be to nip the case in the bud but the directives and policies they have have put the noose around his neck.

Strange post, I can think of very very few instances where an assault would not result in an immediate sacking. This is not an example of 'PC gone mad'.

With respect to why he didn't report it, see my earlier link in post 376 or similar, that may help.......

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Not everyone has equal relationships hence the need for policies to stop abuse. I dont know the details of the Clarkson thing and netiher does anyone on here. But i dont support someone at work thumping one of their team.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
That was in the 1970's when there weren't as many options. Clarkson will have offers from ITV, Sky and other television production companies within days.

The interesting thing if Clarkson ends up on a commercial broadcaster (which he will in time) there will be far less tolerance to his behaviour than on the Beeb where he seems to have got away with things for years. If he'd been on Sky or ITV he would have been sacked long ago. Just look how quick Sky fired Key's and Gray.

So its likely Clarkson will probably never quite be the same again

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i agree they had to let him go, but find it a bit worrying you are assuming there must have been an assault. the manner this episode concludes suggests there wasn't, or else they are sending out the message they'll just brush assault under the carpet. i dont believe that would be the case with the beeb. basically anything other than reporting to police (can they do that on the victims behalf?) and dismissal for gross misconduct is a bad story from them if an assault did occur.

The BBC have said stated there was a physical attack. If there wasn't then I presume Clarkson, and his lawyers, are in for an absolute total field-day now suing the corporation......eh?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The interesting thing if Clarkson ends up on a commercial broadcaster (which he will in time) there will be far less tolerance to his behaviour than on the Beeb where he seems to have got away with things for years. If he'd been on Sky or ITV he would have been sacked long ago. Just look how quick Sky fired Key's and Gray.

If he's "never quite" a complete total cock and bell-end then this is a good thing surely?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The guy he hit does have a really annoying face......

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

Yep, they only put up with nineteen years of obnoxious behaviour from that pair of sexist dinosaurs.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Also from the BBC website

North Yorkshire police have asked to see the BBC's internal report, saying it will be "assessed appropriately and action will be taken... where necessary".

Also from the BBC website

North Yorkshire police have asked to see the BBC's internal report, saying it will be "assessed appropriately and action will be taken... where necessary".
Oh please, don't give the police another celebrity case. They will be appealing for other potential victims of Clarkson to come forward.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I think in the vast majority of cases punching someone would result in the sack. There would have to be extreme mitigating circumstances for it not to do so.

Given that the producer was subjected to a 20 minute torrent of 4 letter word abuse before he was hit, was afraid from what Clarkson was saying that he had actually been fired and then took himself to hospital with a split lip, I think that speaks volumes about Clarkson being basically a thug and a bully.

And to boot he is a mate of our beloved Prime Minister, who really should have kept quiet about the whole affair, unless he is trying to attract the votes of the mindless morons who have been writing threatening letters and making death threats to the aforementioned producer to the extent that he has gone in to hiding.

I would be very interested to have some sort of insight in to Jeremy Clarkson's state of mind at the moment. I would imagine there is some sort of regret in there somewhere, and some sort of realisation that he has been a bit of an ar$e.

Dandyman

In London village.
What a load of rubbish have they run out of people to question about ancient sex offences?

I'm sure the female population of NSC are very grateful never to have drunk in any pub where you were the Landlord.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Nothing to do with that as the police would be better employed chasing current criminals IMHO.

Just for your information numerous females told me that my pub was the only one they felt happy to meet their partners in rather than wait outside as they felt 100% safe and knew I wouldnt allow them to be hassled by unwanted admirers. Perhaps others should have followed suit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here