• #TeamRecliner

Votes: 25 18.5%
  • #TeamGetYourSeatOutOfMyFace

Votes: 110 81.5%

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The moving of luggage meant for the hold into the overhead bins has destroyed short haul travel more than anything else.

People will say “oh well I need to get off quickly and can’t afford to lose my bags”. That’s garbage no one brings their suitcase on board for London to singapore, but under three hours and people are suddenly have no time to spare. It’s wierd and trying to get back some control.

The overhead bins were designed for a bottle of Gordon’s duty free and handbags, not a weeks worth of luggage.

Sure the ‘yes but i am a special case’ people will insist that it’s vital they leave the aircraft and airport in 30 seconds flat, but no ones in that much of a hurry. If you travel 1500 miles in three hours and you need to be 10 minutes quicker at the airport, you don’t really understand anything.

It’s got worse since airlines started charging for hold baggage

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Of course I could but :

a. I didn't want to.

b. The person behind might have not wanted me to.

Thankfully my discomfort was resolved by the cabin crew. Reclining is no better than those fat people that think it's OK for their rolls of fat to invade your seat on planes or trains. You want extra space or indeed, need it, then bloody well pay for it or go on a diet.

This!

You get charged extra for overweight luggage but they pay the same as everyone else.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I do a lot of internal flights in the States for work and pleasure. If you're in business class it's obviously not a problem, but even in coach I've never found this an issue - Americans always seem very polite and considerate about such things (I know most Brits are as well) and the person in front always seems to ask if it's OK to recline. It just seems common sense, flying has become more and more stressful because of all the regulations, and this just makes life on a plane better.

I appreciate this was on a flight in the US (but the woman was a Steelers fan which tells me everything I need to know about her!)

If you do want to be a real bellend you can buy these gizmos in the States called knee defenders which prevent the seat in front from reclining - but that just seems to be declaring all out war.

knee defenders.jpg

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The moving of luggage meant for the hold into the overhead bins has destroyed short haul travel more than anything else.

People will say “oh well I need to get off quickly and can’t afford to lose my bags”. That’s garbage no one brings their suitcase on board for London to singapore, but under three hours and people are suddenly have no time to spare. It’s wierd and trying to get back some control.

The overhead bins were designed for a bottle of Gordon’s duty free and handbags, not a weeks worth of luggage.

Sure the ‘yes but i am a special case’ people will insist that it’s vital they leave the aircraft and airport in 30 seconds flat, but no ones in that much of a hurry. If you travel 1500 miles in three hours and you need to be 10 minutes quicker at the airport, you don’t really understand anything.

You can always tell the infrequent flyers. A microsecond after the seat belt sign goes off, they’re up. Rummaging around trying to find something they should’ve got out when they first sat down.

And then repeat 200 times.

Regular flyers generally just get their stuff out straight away and relax reading a book or watching downloads. I do anyway [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
It’s got worse since airlines started charging for hold baggage

They always charged for hold luggage in reality - what happened was they unbundled the costs to reduce baggage handling costs by disincentivsing people. The gross cost for baggage handling was previously built into everyone’s fare. The idea that checked bags are an additional cost in real terms is false. Fares got cheaper as they reduced ground costs by making you pay the luggage cost element of your ticket separately, correctly working on the assumption people would swerve it if it was optional, and it was extra revenue from people that did pay - the real money is in the savings on the ground, not the punters 25 quid bag fee.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You can always tell the infrequent flyers. A microsecond after the seat belt sign goes off, they’re up. Rummaging around trying to find something they should’ve got out when they first sat down.

And then repeat 200 times.

Regular flyers generally just get their stuff out straight away and relax reading a book or watching downloads. I do anyway [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We always laugh at the sound of belts being surreptitiously unbuckled as soon as the plane has safely landed and is taxiing.

If we see them, they’re normally the ‘winners’ who get the best pitch at the luggage carousel.

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
Like Harry Wilson's Tackle (post #46) I also get very pissed off with people, not just kids, kicking the back of my seat. I have found one generally effective way of getting them to stop. I get up, go to the kicker and say something along the lines of " This flight lasts x hours. When we get halfway, I want you to swap seats with me and I will spend the rest of flight kicking YOU in the kidneys." It usually works and I have not yet been punched in the face.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They always charged for hold luggage in reality - what happened was they unbundled the costs to reduce baggage handling costs by disincentivsing people. The gross cost for baggage handling was previously built into everyone’s fare. The idea that checked bags are an additional cost in real terms is false. Fares got cheaper as they reduced ground costs by making you pay the luggage cost element of your ticket separately, correctly working on the assumption people would swerve it if it was optional, and it was extra revenue from people that did pay - the real money is in the savings on the ground, not the punters 25 quid bag fee.

The lengths and inconvenience people will go to avoid paying £25 is surprising and results in a bun fight with the luggage in overhead lockers. Then you have the ones who slip their hand
baggage into the club class lockers as they board!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Ever been in a seat with a little shit sat behind kicking the back of your seat?

Can’t wait to retire then get to travel outside school holidays!!!!

Dave your kids are grown up why do you need to wait to retire to travel outside of school holidays, last time I checked you weren’t a teacher although on reflection is your wife?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If I want somebody to have oral sex with me in a crowded plane, in public, then they can ask, and I'll think about it. Otherwise get your face out of my crotch.

Some nutcase tried to start a fight on a crowded Easyjet once when his wife tried to recline their seat into me, and I refused to let them by pressing back hard with my knees on the back of the chair.

She was a definite n.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Dave your kids are grown up why do you need to wait to retire to travel outside of school holidays, last time I checked you weren’t a teacher although on reflection is your wife?

Yes she is a teaching assistant!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I do a lot of internal flights in the States for work and pleasure. If you're in business class it's obviously not a problem, but even in coach I've never found this an issue - Americans always seem very polite and considerate about such things (I know most Brits are as well) and the person in front always seems to ask if it's OK to recline. It just seems common sense, flying has become more and more stressful because of all the regulations, and this just makes life on a plane better.

I appreciate this was on a flight in the US (but the woman was a Steelers fan which tells me everything I need to know about her!)

If you do want to be a real bellend you can buy these gizmos in the States called knee defenders which prevent the seat in front from reclining - but that just seems to be declaring all out war.

View attachment 120367

Not being American what is " in coach" and what is about a "Steelers fan" that identifies the're traits?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
We always laugh at the sound of belts being surreptitiously unbuckled as soon as the plane has safely landed and is taxiing.

If we see them, they’re normally the ‘winners’ who get the best pitch at the luggage carousel.

Or people standing up with their head kinked against the roof when the plane stops.

Its going going to take at least 15 minutes to open the doors and the people in front of you to get off. So just sit down - you're not going anywhere.....

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The lengths and inconvenience people will go to avoid paying £25 is surprising and results in a bun fight with the luggage in overhead lockers. Then you have the ones who slip their hand
baggage into the club class lockers as they board!

The you have the cool dudes who sit looking superior when you're queueing to go through the passport check when you get on.

Except they are the ones who have nowhere to put their bags

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Or people standing up with their head kinked against the roof when the plane stops.

Its going going to take at least 15 minutes to open the doors and the people in front of you to get off. So just sit down - you're not going anywhere.....

We’d just taken off from Gatwick last Boxing Day and some passengers unbuckled and starting making their way to the loos. We were still ascending at a steep pitch, barely over those first Sussex villages.

They got a sharp telling off over the PA from cabin crew.

There are infinite ways to be a burke.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Couldn’t they have had an argument about their respective carbon footprints instead? The stewardess should have made them both get out and take a boat the rest of the way.

#FlyLESS

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
#teamrecliners are all, obviously, vertically challenged, as they have no concept of how a normal person, over 6ft tall, suffers when a selfish midget decides to lay back, in your lap, just so they can stick their little legs out.

Not all vertically challenged are #teamrecliners . I am vertically challenged and class myself as normal even though I am short.

I accept it must be worse for tall people when a #teamrcliner is in front of them than it is for me it is still unpleasant.

If I wouldn't like it, then I wouldn't do it to someone else.

So I am definately #teamgetyourseatoutofmyface

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here