• #TeamGetYourSeatOutOfMyFace

Votes: 110 81.5%

• Total voters

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
She's being a bit inconsiderate for fully reclining when he can't
He's being a dick for what he's doing - ask her nicely, if no joy call the cabin crew
During mealtimes - absolutely 100% not, twattish thing to do
Other times - check first perhaps...........or at least warn the person behind.

There's also the 'domino effec't - if the person in front of you does it, then you've almost got no choice but to do it yourself due to the lack of space. Maybe the cabin crew need to do an announcement 'on the count of three, would the plebs in economy please recline their seats' (or design them so that they get auto-reclined ?). I think a lot of the newer planes don't have a recline option anyway ?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don't bother on short hall, there really is no need.

Long hall where people need to sleep is different, but I'd usually ask the person behind and put it up automatically at meal times.

I've paid for my seat so I'll do what I like isn't an attitude I'm comfortable with. Everyone has paid for their seat!

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
#TeamGetYourSeatOutOfMyFace

As a frequent flyer it's my pet hate, sociopathic fellow passengers who want to end up in your lap, especially on short haul flights.

I have a very effective plan of action for this. It embarrasses the hell out of Mrs Shingle, but it's got to be done. Passenger in front tries to recline seat, I press firmly on seat to equal pressure as he's trying to recline, after a while as passenger in front can't see whats being done he ends up thinking his seat is faulty and gives up. It works every time.

There is a caveat to this however. If it's an overnight flight and the person behind me has reclined then I don't mind if person in front reclines as I can always recline to equal things up.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I usually fly long haul and at night so I recline. The person behind can also recline if they wish.
By the way I do ask the person behind and has never been an issue

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
IMHO both parties in this FRACAS are idiots. Hipster just wants to treat a public space as an extension of his home/office. Woman just wants to recline that oh so important six inches for no good reason at all. Hell Is Other People aye? But in the end the solution lies with the airline. No recline, one less source of in-flight conflict. Might be wrong here, but believe that Easyjet have already implented the no recline policy. Ryanair on the other hand have probably introduced a £4.99 recline option.

Quite.

If someone reclines in front of me I just suck it up, because recline is what the seats do.

I tend to gently recline my own seat a tad, checking to make sure this is OK, only if I fancy a kip. I am a giver not a taker :lolol:

My big hate, though, is kids who repeatedly kick the back of my seat. If it happens I do have a word with the parent.

Personally the thought of a long haul flight for a family holiday is a thought I never have. Work flights (on my own) are unavoidable but the risk of confrontation can be mitigated by careful booking and seat selection. I'd rather drive the family somewhere - nice week in north Devon planned this year. :thumbsup:

Bloke in the vid needs to learn a bit of self-control.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Could the same not be said about using the TV screen? Would it be reasonable to ask the person next to you to turn it off because you want to get some sleep but you are finding the light distracting? Or has that person paid for the seat and is thus entitled to full use of its facilities?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I fly a lot and I can tell you recliners can almost always be filed under "pretty ****ing useless at life".

It's always them who causes a scene on boarding the plane by having issues putting their luggage in the overhead bin. It's always them who is painfully slow disembarking the plane, usually having issues taking their luggage out of the overhead bin.

I suspect they are the same planks who find it a huge challenge to navigate swiftly through airport security.

Bell cheeses the lot of them.

Yup, this. Losers can't get enough of standing up and fannying around with their stuff in the overhead lockers. In my ideal world, you'd pay for stuff to go in the overhead lockers and stuff in the hold would go free. Would put a stop to this bell cheesy behaviour overnight

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Could the same not be said about using the TV screen? Would it be reasonable to ask the person next to you to turn it off because you want to get some sleep but you are finding the light distracting? Or has that person paid for the seat and is thus entitled to full use of its facilities?

Not even remotely the same thing. Very different if you are 6 foot 5 and your legs are being squashed by some inconsiderate person to having a bit of light shining for which you can wear a blindfold if it's that much of an issue.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Quite.

If someone reclines in front of me I just suck it up, because recline is what the seats do.

I tend to gently recline my own seat a tad, checking to make sure this is OK, only if I fancy a kip. I am a giver not a taker :lolol:

My big hate, though, is kids who repeatedly kick the back of my seat. If it happens I do have a word with the parent.

Personally the thought of a long haul flight for a family holiday is a thought I never have. Work flights (on my own) are unavoidable but the risk of confrontation can be mitigated by careful booking and seat selection. I'd rather drive the family somewhere - nice week in north Devon planned this year. :thumbsup:

Bloke in the vid needs to learn a bit of self-control.

Thankfully with long haul economy in my experience, eg to Florida and Colorado, you get several extra inches of legroom over for example EasyJet short haul. It makes a huge difference.

EasyJet 29”
Virgin Atlantic 31”, but they’re refitting their Dreamliners fleet to give 34”.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Just give it a good dunt every few mins if the recliner trying to sleep. Usually works.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Yup, this. Losers can't get enough of standing up and fannying around with their stuff in the overhead lockers. In my ideal world, you'd pay for stuff to go in the overhead lockers and stuff in the hold would go free. Would put a stop to this bell cheesy behaviour overnight

The moving of luggage meant for the hold into the overhead bins has destroyed short haul travel more than anything else.

People will say “oh well I need to get off quickly and can’t afford to lose my bags”. That’s garbage no one brings their suitcase on board for London to singapore, but under three hours and people are suddenly have no time to spare. It’s wierd and trying to get back some control.

The overhead bins were designed for a bottle of Gordon’s duty free and handbags, not a weeks worth of luggage.

Sure the ‘yes but i am a special case’ people will insist that it’s vital they leave the aircraft and airport in 30 seconds flat, but no ones in that much of a hurry. If you travel 1500 miles in three hours and you need to be 10 minutes quicker at the airport, you don’t really understand anything.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Beardy Boy is being a total knobhead there, especially doing that to a woman - which is as cowardly as it is tosserish.

If I'd seen that I'd have quietly had a word and explained that he'd better not keep doing that, or I'd be knocking him out in the arrivals lounge on behalf of the woman.

However, on balance I can see why he's hacked off. He's against a wall so cannot recline himself. Annoying. As said previously, I always ask the person behind if they'd mind if I recline. I've yet to meet someone who has said no. She could have done that...

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

United long haul are now asking people to be considerate to others around them about the type of content they are watching, which struck me as incredibly civilized bearing in mind how air travel has gone the other way generally as a trend.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Maybe it's just me but I've developed these things over my eyes called lids. I can even close them which blocks out any light.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Ever been in a seat with a little shit sat behind kicking the back of your seat?

Can’t wait to retire then get to travel outside school holidays!!!!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I thought this was going to be about OAP chairs

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Flight time was 1 hr 54 mins so that's probably only about 60 mins when you are allowed to recline.

Looking through her twitter feed its seems she has been off work, had to visit a doctor, had x-rays and had horrible headaches because of the incident - seems like a typical yank to me, SUE everybody for $$$$$$$$$$ and why does she need to include the Daily Mail in her tweet, media whore as well

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ever been in a seat with a little shit sat behind kicking the back of your seat?

Can’t wait to retire then get to travel outside school holidays!!!!

I once asked a woman with two children who kept going in front of her and jumping up and down banging the back of my seat to stop them doing that. She looked at me like I had two heads and told me I wouldn’t understand as I’d obviously never had kids. I restrained my self from telling her I’d had two kids and would never have let them do the same. Waste of time. They did stop because of the “grumpy nasty man” sitting in front of them though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here