Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to give Walton first team action

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
1. Fulham didn't want Stockdale to go.

2. Walton is clearly NOT yet good enough. If he was in first team action, dropping crosses etc in the manner shown in the DS match highlights, he'd be utterly crucified on here.

I don't remember them pulling out any stops to keep him. I am sure if they had rated him enough he would have stayed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I take it the bulk of the Waltonistas have never seen him play, and are only going on his career movements and this summers paper talk.

Stockdale hasn't done a great deal wrong, all season, certainly not enough to warrant being dropped for a tall boy or Casper.

It would be brilliant if CW becomes the keeper we all want him to be, his chance will come with the Albion, but rushing him makes absolutely no sense.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
What utter rubbish a cross for a striker put near the 18 yd line a good cross you cant be serious. Had DS stayed on his line it would have barely reached him it was so weak. Had it been put to the penalty spot I would have agreed but not 17 yds out from the goal.

Any cross that can tempt a keeper out to the 18 yard line is a good cross. If it had been put to the penalty spot Stockdale would have got it.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Dunk clearly left it for Stockdale!
Completely agree
Stockdale made the call,
Completely agree again
why would dunk stand in the way making it harder for Stockdale and probably end up injured in the process.
Why would it have made it harder for Stockdale, he could have move so that the incoming forward had to go around him to reach the ball rather than have a free run at it and in this case beat Stockdale to it (who probably underestimated Jones's speed) Dunk should have shepherded the ball back, blocking the striker in the same way that defenders block runs when forwards are trying to get on the end of crosses / set pieces / throws, etc or when the defender is letting the ball run out of play for a throw or goal kick.

By blocking the easy route and making Jones go the long way round, it might have brought Stockdale the time he needed to make it to the ball first. But as i said, i'm not holding it against Dunk, and i don't want to be over critical of him here (probably never even crossed his mind as he thought STockdale would get there first) but there is always the chance that the ball acts weirdly when it bounced or it gets held up in the wind and drops a lot shorter than anticipated, leaving the GK in no mans land and the striker on the ball with the defender unable to react. - I always thought the rule was to see out the danger completely.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Any cross that can tempt a keeper out to the 18 yard line is a good cross. If it had been put to the penalty spot Stockdale would have got it.

That is the whole point, he should never have gone for it, understandably on the penalty spot yes but not near the edge of the area. I would think that Jones was only expecting to out jump Dunk but to include DS was a bonus for him.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
That is the whole point, he should never have gone for it, understandably on the penalty spot yes but not near the edge of the area. I would think that Jones was only expecting to out jump Dunk but to include DS was a bonus for him.

There are plenty of instances where keepers come off their line in similar circumstances to collect or punch the ball successfully. It is clear Stockdale misjudged it but on another day it may have been the right decision to come out. So to say never iwould also be wrong in similar floated ball scenarios. There are no fixed rules to this and it is down to split second decision making followed by hindsight.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
1. Fulham didn't want Stockdale to go.

/QUOTE]

Not sure that is true as Felix wanted to out both keepers as he said they werent good enough. The other angle is if it is true our offer was like Leicester and Ulloa to good to refuse which would suggest that we over valued him.

Looks as though they chose the wrong people to go...perhaps they should have got shot of Felix over the Summer instead..his own judgement seems questionable

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I agree with the old saying, "if your good enough, your old enough".....I'm not going to write Stockdale off just yet, although I think we have seen evidence why Fulham didn't want him around anymore. Any other position on the pitch and he would have surely been dropped or rested if you prefer. Give Walton a chance, you only gain experience by playing games at the end of the day.

So we will be resting/dropping Dunk for his error in the second half which almost led to a goal? i hope not!...thankfully Stockdale made a smart save

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Hush yourself. Those so-called 'saves' don't count.

I sincerely apologise, I should go back to the first Charlton goal and continue to use it as a stick with which to beat an obviously able goalkeeper.

I once said to MA about FDM and similar saves and the answer I got was " that is what he is paid to do if he couldnt do it he wouldnt be in the team so those saves are nothing special but expected"

Michel Kuipers, is the best goalkeeper to play for Brighton whilst I've been in the stands. Tomasz Kuszczak and, with time, David Stockdale, will be vying for second spot. It's going to take a considerable amount of time and brilliance for a goalkeeper to overtake him. He made routine saves, impossible saves and extravagant saves. He only ever once threatened to save a penalty (other than THAT shoot out), and he rarely let us down across three divisions and however many years. He was never arrogant, never above himself and always pleased to be here. You would expect goalkeepers to make saves, it's a responsible job in the team. Which is largely why people take it on and it takes a specific character to want to do the job.

FDM made many saves as good as that as did TK it was just a case of the keeper making himself big and the ball hitting him, which is what all goal keepers are taught at any level.

Michel made a large number of game defining saves. How many goalkeepers will win back to back titles with the same team? Stockdale's save was match defining on Tuesday, and that is what's been ignored because of the earlier error. And that isn't fair, and to suggest he's been a poor signing so far is not only inaccurate, but it's lazy. We have conceded more goals than we would have liked, and there have been questions over some of them from Stockdale's perspective. But the lack of goals scored is what is holding us back, not anything that Stockdale is doing at the back, or Greer (who has been back at the very top of his game this season). But these are the two people criticise frequently.

I'm going to write an article about Brighton and Hove Albion goalkeepers in a minute, this is a topic I've always been interested in.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I sincerely apologise, I should go back to the first Charlton goal and continue to use it as a stick with which to beat an obviously able goalkeeper.

Michel Kuipers, is the best goalkeeper to play for Brighton whilst I've been in the stands. Tomasz Kuszczak and, with time, David Stockdale, will be vying for second spot. It's going to take a considerable amount of time and brilliance for a goalkeeper to overtake him. He made routine saves, impossible saves and extravagant saves. He only ever once threatened to save a penalty (other than THAT shoot out), and he rarely let us down across three divisions and however many years. He was never arrogant, never above himself and always pleased to be here. You would expect goalkeepers to make saves, it's a responsible job in the team. Which is largely why people take it on and it takes a specific character to want to do the job.

Michel made a large number of game defining saves. How many goalkeepers will win back to back titles with the same team? Stockdale's save was match defining on Tuesday, and that is what's been ignored because of the earlier error. And that isn't fair, and to suggest he's been a poor signing so far is not only inaccurate, but it's lazy. We have conceded more goals than we would have liked, and there have been questions over some of them from Stockdale's perspective. But the lack of goals scored is what is holding us back, not anything that Stockdale is doing at the back, or Greer (who has been back at the very top of his game this season). But these are the two people criticise frequently.

I'm going to write an article about Brighton and Hove Albion goalkeepers in a minute, this is a topic I've always been interested in.

PIG was/is a fine goalie but despite tuesdays error i feel a heck of a lot more relaxed when the ball gets knocked into our box than i was with PIG..plus his distribution is far far better

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Completely agree
Completely agree again

Why would it have made it harder for Stockdale, he could have move so that the incoming forward had to go around him to reach the ball rather than have a free run at it and in this case beat Stockdale to it (who probably underestimated Jones's speed) Dunk should have shepherded the ball back, blocking the striker in the same way that defenders block runs when forwards are trying to get on the end of crosses / set pieces / throws, etc or when the defender is letting the ball run out of play for a throw or goal kick.

By blocking the easy route and making Jones go the long way round, it might have brought Stockdale the time he needed to make it to the ball first. But as i said, i'm not holding it against Dunk, and i don't want to be over critical of him here (probably never even crossed his mind as he thought STockdale would get there first) but there is always the chance that the ball acts weirdly when it bounced or it gets held up in the wind and drops a lot shorter than anticipated, leaving the GK in no mans land and the striker on the ball with the defender unable to react. - I always thought the rule was to see out the danger completely.
If a goalkeeper calls for the ball the defender will leave it for him just like Dunk did.
DS was at fault nobody else.
I do not know why DS had to come that far out to try and catch the ball anyway. Was the result down to the keeper? Partly but our failure to convert at least one of the other chances contributed to us not winning as well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've said it elsewhere but hey why should that stop me from repeating myself.

It's surprises me we haven't been relegated yet, what with out shitehouse team.

We have an error strewn goalie who MUST be dropped.
A poster boy in midfield who is appalling and has been for 3 seasons.
Another man-child in midfield who can't/won't pass.
A centre forward who's not as good as anybodies grandmothers, alive or dead.

A quarter of the team managed to stumble through a match on Tuesday widely recognised as the best team performance in over 3 years.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I take it the bulk of the Waltonistas have never seen him play, and are only going on his career movements and this summers paper talk.

Stockdale hasn't done a great deal wrong, all season, certainly not enough to warrant being dropped for a tall boy or Casper.

It would be brilliant if CW becomes the keeper we all want him to be, his chance will come with the Albion, but rushing him makes absolutely no sense.
Saw Walton play at Crawley and thought he was very good.

Would rather he was on the bench than Ankers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A bizarre clearance, some excellent attacking play, and a quality save.

I get the feeling we're just going to have to get used to the fact that that's a normal game for Stockdale.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here