Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to give Walton first team action

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stockdale also saved when one on one with Ismael Miller against Blackpool after Bruno's slip, had he not saved that effort we'd have lost that game 1-0.

Hush yourself. Those so-called 'saves' don't count.

I once said to MA about FDM and similar saves and the answer I got was " that is what he is paid to do if he couldnt do it he wouldnt be in the team so those saves are nothing special but expected"

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Howler, but...

He has definitely steadily improved.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I once said to MA about FDM and similar saves and the answer I got was " that is what he is paid to do if he couldnt do it he wouldnt be in the team so those saves are nothing special but expected"

There is absolutely no chance that Adams was talking about a save like Stockdale's from Pilkington on Tuesday, when he made that comment. Unless he had completely lost the plot.

Actually hang on - was this conversation during Adams' SECOND spell...?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've yet to see an Albion keeper as poor as Nicky Rust after he came back from injury and neither do I want to. Truly dire and useless. I believe he conceded about 8 on his debut for whatever team was mug enough to sign him after we got shot.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
In the time that he was No1 I would suggest that TK made less mistakes and cost us less goals than Stockdale has in the 2 months he has been No 1. I would also suggest that TK in a comparative time earnt us more points with his shot stopping, than the present No 1.

It is time for Anti Niemi to earn his corn and sort out our goalkeeper problem failing which it will be a long hard struggle this season.

What about your mate CMS earning some bloody corn?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
All keepers make mistakes.

Stockdale is superior to TK in virtually every area - in distribution and dealing with crosses there's no comparison. However, shot stopping and concentration are massively important attributes, one to watch but we need to give him a little more time before writing him off.

It doesn't help his case when the keeper in the other net has a game like that.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As much as it was a mistake by Stockdale, it was a perfect cross, put in a dangerous area with a great finish from Jones.
What utter rubbish a cross for a striker put near the 18 yd line a good cross you cant be serious. Had DS stayed on his line it would have barely reached him it was so weak. Had it been put to the penalty spot I would have agreed but not 17 yds out from the goal.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stockdale also saved when one on one with Ismael Miller against Blackpool after Bruno's slip, had he not saved that effort we'd have lost that game 1-0.

There is absolutely no chance that Adams was talking about a save like Stockdale's from Pilkington on Tuesday, when he made that comment. Unless he had completely lost the plot.

Actually hang on - was this conversation during Adams' SECOND spell...?

FDM made many saves as good as that as did TK it was just a case of the keeper making himself big and the ball hitting him, which is what all goal keepers are taught at any level.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
As much as it was a mistake by Stockdale, it was a perfect cross, put in a dangerous area with a great finish from Jones.

I still think Dunk could have made sure he was between the ball and the striker and not moving out the way away to give Stockdale and as an unwitting result Jones a clear run at the ball to beat Stockdale there. But he is still young and learning and it would be harsh to be over critical of this.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I still think Dunk could have made sure he was between the ball and the striker and not moving out the way away to give Stockdale and as an unwitting result Jones a clear run at the ball to beat Stockdale there. But he is still young and learning and it would be harsh to be over critical of this.

Dunk clearly left it for Stockdale! Stockdale made the call, why would dunk stand in the way making it harder for Stockdale and probably end up injured in the process.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I agree with the old saying, "if your good enough, your old enough".....I'm not going to write Stockdale off just yet, although I think we have seen evidence why Fulham didn't want him around anymore. Any other position on the pitch and he would have surely been dropped or rested if you prefer. Give Walton a chance, you only gain experience by playing games at the end of the day.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
His distribution is amazing. It's like having an extra attacker, he gets us further forward, quicker, than most of our outfield players do at times.
Perhaps that's because he's realised that unlike the rest of the team he doesn't have the option to play it sideways or back.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I agree with the old saying, "if your good enough, your old enough".....I'm not going to write Stockdale off just yet, although I think we have seen evidence why Fulham didn't want him around anymore. Any other position on the pitch and he would have surely been dropped or rested if you prefer. Give Walton a chance, you only gain experience by playing games at the end of the day.

1. Fulham didn't want Stockdale to go.

2. Walton is clearly NOT yet good enough. If he was in first team action, dropping crosses etc in the manner shown in the DS match highlights, he'd be utterly crucified on here.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

100% this. A goalkeeper is paid to make saves, it's part of the job description. Yet some see it as a bonus. Just like a striker is paid to score goals, but we won't go there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here