Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to give Walton first team action

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Haven't seen the vid yet but trust me, some defender WILL indeed feel my wrath when I see who the feck jumped out of the way for the goal. Yeah, that's told you.
Ince was subbed off pretty much straight away.

I doubt he'll get a rollocking, (I'd like to think he's beating himself up enough) but I bet my house on the fact he won't do it again.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
If a goalkeeper calls for the ball the defender will leave it for him just like Dunk did.
DS was at fault nobody else.
I do not know why DS had to come that far out to try and catch the ball anyway. Was the result down to the keeper? Partly but our failure to convert at least one of the other chances contributed to us not winning as well.

What i am suggesting would have make it easier for Stockdale and not harder. Yes he clearly had called for it, but had Dunk not backed right away from the flight of the ball, would Jones have got there first.

The point i was making (probably easier to demonstrate rather than describe in writing) was that if a keeper had called for the ball when it was going towards him within the area and with a forward about, the defender would still put himself between the opponent and the ball to give the keeper more time to get to the ball byshepherding it back to the keeper. In this case, Dunk could have done a similar thing here and make it hard for the forward to get to the ball and by doing it, he would have brought more time for Stockdale to get to the ball first. By moving away completely, did Dunk give the extra space which allowed Jones to get there first which he wouldn't have done otherwise.

(Yes this is being over critical and i am not blaming Dunk in any way for the goal, merely pointing out something extra that he could have still have done to help our keeper out.) And there have been plenty of examples where a keeper has shouted for the ball but the defender has still decided it was better to clear it themselves rather than rely on the keeper (and not just for the Albion) Maybe Dunk wasn't that aware of Jones's location and risk his speed posed otherwise he may have done what i had posted above

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that Stockdale did ok today and wouldnt blame him for the goal as I am not sure of the person responsible. During the 1st half we could clearly see how he lined up his wall but the wall let him down for the goal. Not sure iof he lined it up wriong but I doubt that. I think that it is more likely that either the wall moved or probably Watford moved the ball as we could see a gaping hole near the post before they took the kick and that is exactly where it went.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I thought that Stockdale did ok today and wouldnt blame him for the goal as I am not sure of the person responsible. During the 1st half we could clearly see how he lined up his wall but the wall let him down for the goal. Not sure iof he lined it up wriong but I doubt that. I think that it is more likely that either the wall moved or probably Watford moved the ball as we could see a gaping hole near the post before they took the kick and that is exactly where it went.

That's easy to answer: Either a) Bruno for the needless foul on the edge of the box but mainly b) Ince for his inexplicable split from the wall, which meant the ball went through.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Fouls happen esdpercially with the foolm with the whistle todayu so blame should not be placed on Bruno but I didnt realise it was Ince trhat left the wall as I said before it was taken I could see a gap nwear the post that I amsure DS wouldnbt have left. I am more inclined to think Watford moved the ball after the wall was lined up and the ref didnt notice it.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Absolutely shocking from Stockdale today, the first one he should have got to the ball before the striker squared it, so hesitant & an unforgivable lack of commitment and the second not seen a replay of it yet but looked like he got beat at the near post.

Not good enough.

Dec 29, 2011
Absolutely shocking from Stockdale today, the first one he should have got to the ball before the striker squared it, unforgivable lack of commitment and the second not seen a replay of it yet but looked like he got beat at the near post.

Not good enough.

Second one he made the save, but the striker followed up to slot it home. We should really be questioning the tactics and formation rather than the keeper. For the second goal Bennett was no-where to be seen and they strolled down our wing and picked out the pass.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I got 18 thumbs down just for saying he has the makings of our worst 1st choice keeper in my lifetime. He is still not doing it for me but no doubt he will continue to be given the opportunity to prove me wrong.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
He was lucky not to give a penalty away in the first few minutes - it looked like a pen

Very lucky I thought the penalty been given and Stockdale was guilty for both goals he has cost us so many points this season so far its time to give Walton a go.

Last edited:

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Very lucky I thought the penalty bean given and Stockdale was guilty for both goals he has cost us so many points this season so far its time to give Walton a go.

Looking at him he is not brave enough. Should have thrown himself at the players feet for the first one before the ball was crossed and even worse for the second couldn't control a powderpuff shot and then bottled the block on the followup. He also got lucky with Dunks backheader in the second half almost pulled out of the dive and then got lucky when the ball broke kindly for him to pick the ball up. Time to give Walton some game time as he has proved with the DS that he his brave enough to throw himself in where it hurts.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Second one he made the save, but the striker followed up to slot it home. We should really be questioning the tactics and formation rather than the keeper. For the second goal Bennett was no-where to be seen and they strolled down our wing and picked out the pass.

Bang on, why is the left back on the half way line when their right winger is putting the ball in net. Not blaming Bennett really, clearly the way he has been asked to play.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I cant remember the last time I was so excited about a player joining then being so dissapointed after seeing him.

He looks awful.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
StocKdale is not up to it. Not feeling comfortable with him between the sticks. Maybe Walton's time has come?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Middlesborough don't know how to play football.

Who ever heard of a goal coming from:-

A quick break down the wing.
Followed by a accurate pass into feet.
Behind the defence.
In front of the keeper.
Requiring nothing of the striker other than score.

Muggy northern monkeys no idea how to play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here