Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time for Jake to say adios

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I quite agree that it's time for Jake to say adios. In this multi-cultural society, there's untold benefits to be gained from learning a second language.

That's exactly the sort of post this thread deserves :thumbsup:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
personally don't see him as the answer to the right wing problem and can't see him being picked to play up front ahead of Forster, Revell, Savage et al. Seems to be lacking confidence which will be difficult to replace without a run in the team just can't see how he is going to get that run to start with

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
personally don't see him as the answer to the right wing problem and can't see him being picked to play up front ahead of Forster, Revell, Savage et al. Seems to be lacking confidence which will be difficult to replace without a run in the team just can't see how he is going to get that run to start with
He offers something different up front to anyone else, I think he could do well on the wing but I don't think the position is really that important. On form he's showed he can play up front. And judging by the early signs he doesn't seem any more consistent out wide.

:shrug:

kjgoodall

Jan 5, 2006
I think some are being slightly unfair to someone who in effect is still a young lad learning his trade. To put it into perspective, he was being played out of position against premiership and International defenders, alongside other lower league players. I know he hasnt been the sucess that a young Wayne Rooney has been, but then niether has the team as a whole. He may or not make it long term, but give the lad and the other youngsters a chance at least.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Dougdeep told me he wasn't going, byf is in Madeira and Shrodingers Toad may have still been in Poland but that was an educated guess (he may be home at the moment)
None of those posters seem to realise that Jake isn't actually playing up front but as a winger.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Ah right, fair enough. I don't know Dougdeep (hence he never told me he wasn't going!), and I have no idea where the other two are located! I think everyone should judge Robinson from scratch this season. I'm not sure if people would agree with me, but in my opinion he has shown that he is not up to it against professsional defenders as an out and out striker. He does show flashes of skill and creativity though, so I reckon it's time for a fresh start out wide.

He has played 4 (maybe more I haven't checked every pre season friendly line up) games in the last fortnight on the right wing. He looked very good against Fulham and didn't disgrace himself yesterday against Reading.

He has played 4 (maybe more I haven't checked every pre season friendly line up) games in the last fortnight on the right wing. He looked very good against Fulham and didn't disgrace himself yesterday against Reading.

But, since he's some Brighton 'supporters' favourite to bemoan right now, they are going to keep on picking on Jake.

It was Tony Towner in the seventies, a VERY decent player, but fairly short, and local.
It didn't matter what he did, some 'fans' shouted crap at him.
They did the same to Leon, while MaGOON and the rest of the team decided it was better to show him who was boss, even at the cost of games, goals and points.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
But, since he's some Brighton 'supporters' favourite to bemoan right now, they are going to keep on picking on Jake.

It was Tony Towner in the seventies, a VERY decent player, but fairly short, and local.
It didn't matter what he did, some 'fans' shouted crap at him.
They did the same to Leon, while MaGOON and the rest of the team decided it was better to show him who was boss, even at the cost of games, goals and points.

You're right about Tony Towner but there again he wasn't an ego maniac with a Napoleon complex. Seem to recall he lasted rather longer at Wolves than some others did at their next club as well.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
None of our wingers had great games against Reading Cox did not either but nobody has slated him yet! Robinson has played four games in what is not his natural position but in those games has given more than enough glimpses that he can do a job out there at this level. If he can work on his crosses then he has all the attributes of a quality winger.

What were some expecting after 4 games Christiano Ronaldo??!! As for getting rid of him great idea and lets replace him with one of those other top wingers we have been turning away from the club for all of these years!!

:shootself

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
None of our wingers had great games against Reading Cox did not either but nobody has slated him yet! Robinson has played four games in what is not his natural position but in those games has given more than enough glimpses that he can do a job out there at this level. If he can work on his crosses then he has all the attributes of a quality winger.

What were some expecting after 4 games Christiano Ronaldo??!! As for getting rid of him great idea and lets replace him with one of those other top wingers we have been turning away from the club for all of these years!!

:shootself

:clap::clap:

Doesn't a winger have to be able to cross the ball?

You see some really talented, ball-skilled players, who have trouble crossing.
Lennon at Tottenham and England is a prime example - great 'ground control' on the ball, can nutmeg and send defenders dizzy - but can't get the final ball in and often ends up losing it - and there goes a whole attacking move.

Another example of such a styled player, is Wright-Philips. However, he does often get a telling ball across, does escape his marker, and manages to maximize his ball-control to compensate for size/lack of pace.

It's hard to put a finger on either of those players, as to where their natural position is. Neither are tall enough to be the best centre-forward, can't really receive crosses in the box - yet have striker's abilities on the ground.

Graeme Le Saux and Alan Ball were great wingers, yet small lads. Paul Scholes isn't particularly tall, but his knack for finding space to poach loose balls or collect a pass on the edge of the box is exemplary.

What I'm saying is, Jake Robinson?.... "could do a job".
In my opinion it's up to Dean Wilkins to see his strengths as ones to play to. I always repeat this same mantra; If our side play to their STRENGTHS, rather than throw wonderful tactics will-nilly at them, we can steamroller over most of our division.
That's what McGhee did NOT seem to understand, and let's hope Dean Wilkins DOES get the picture.

Strange as it may sound - IF Wilkins is doing his job properly, it is ALWAYS HIS FAULT if we lose!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here