Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I don’t think Toney had the best game yesterday, but I do think he’s a good player and exactly what we need. Fast, a bit of a unit, decent in the air, worries defenders, and, unlike Maupay, he can kick the ball in a straight line more often that not. The Brentford argument doesn’t hold water - Watkins has had a very good season. We just bought the wrong one.

Watkins has had a very good season, under a manager that he played for at Brentford, would he have had the same results at Brighton with a different system, different style of play, different manager and different team mates? We will never know, he has also missed some big chances this season, would his confidence have drained away like Maupays if he was constantly reminded about big chances missed and our poor scoring record?

Fwiw i agree with what the previous poster said about Brentford and Peterborough, they both play a different style to us and then to combine that with the step up, it's always going to be a risk. Similarly posters saying we should sign Edouard from Celtic, he's ok but he's not great, scores goals against much weaker defences than he would face here EVERY week, i would say he is championship standard at best. Moreles at Rangers has far more to his game than Edouard but is a complete lunatic on occasion, so wouldn't sign him either tbh.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
How about Danjuma from Bournemouth. They'll now have to consider selling some of their better players and this lad has had a break through season scoring 17 from a wide position. Looks the sort of player that Potter would like. Might cost a bit but we'll have money if we sell Yves.

I really like Matheus Pereira.

https://youtu.be/qk_JHKFLM1I

He is left footed which gives us something a little different (seeing March is normally stuck at wing back).

He scores goals which is refreshing.

He scores set-pieces which is something we must do better.

He’s also young, quick and skilful.

Let’s save him from Championship football.

Potter doesnt seem to like playing with traditional wingers so can either of these guys do the defensive stuff that Potter demands of his wing backs?.

If not I think he will be looking at offensive LB options. Is Omar Richards to Bayern a done deal?

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Watkins has had a very good season, under a manager that he played for at Brentford, would he have had the same results at Brighton with a different system, different style of play, different manager and different team mates? We will never know, he has also missed some big chances this season, would his confidence have drained away like Maupays if he was constantly reminded about big chances missed and our poor scoring record?

Fwiw i agree with what the previous poster said about Brentford and Peterborough, they both play a different style to us and then to combine that with the step up, it's always going to be a risk. Similarly posters saying we should sign Edouard from Celtic, he's ok but he's not great, scores goals against much weaker defences than he would face here EVERY week, i would say he is championship standard at best. Moreles at Rangers has far more to his game than Edouard but is a complete lunatic on occasion, so wouldn't sign him either tbh.

And there lies the risk with transfers, does the player suit our style? Does he have the correct mentality? Do his stats hold weight, or are we just seeing outlying numbers?

A cautionary tale for anyone getting giddy over a player with big numbers in a single season is Roque Santa Cruz, who scored bundles for Blackburn in the 07/08 season, only to revert to type thereafter.

Roque Santa Cruz.jpg

I worry that we bought Maupay off the back of a similar outlying season.

Last edited:

veuve

Jun 27, 2015

He is left footed which gives us something a little different (seeing March is normally stuck at wing back).

V good shout.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don’t think Toney had the best game yesterday, but I do think he’s a good player and exactly what we need. Fast, a bit of a unit, decent in the air, worries defenders, and, unlike Maupay, he can kick the ball in a straight line more often that not. The Brentford argument doesn’t hold water - Watkins has had a very good season. We just bought the wrong one.

Not convinced. He doesn't run much, unlike Maupay. He's a static sort of target man, and doesn't fit in with Potter's fluid approach. There's so much fuss about Toney, but I suspect he'll struggle at PL level. Also factor in that, if Brentford go up, he'll have the chance to prove me wrong; if they don't and Brentford sell, the price will be silly especially for a 25yo. Great penalty yesterday though and, granted, his record from the spot is excellent -- this is something that we might want to think about in terms of our signings this summer.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
And there lies the risk with transfers, does the player suit our style? Does he have the correct mentality? Do his stats hold weight, or are we just seeing outlying numbers?

A cautionary tale for anyone getting giddy over a player with big numbers in a single season is Roque Santa Cruz, who scored bundles for Blackburn in the 07/08 season, only to revert to type thereafter.

View attachment 137018

I worry that we bought Maupay off the back of a similar outlying season.

Good point re. RSC, tbh i haen't lost faith in Maupay....... Yet. Imho he needs to be more instinctive, stop listening to the media and pay more attention to the people around him who obviously believe in him because they pick him every week.

It's been a common narrative this season, Brighton aren't clinical enough, and it is true, we all know that, but if you're the main guy responsible for sticking the ball in the net, it wouldn't be surprising to feel that pressure more than your team mates who are equally culpable, if Lallana, Gross, March etc. Had just been a little less wasteful then we wouldn't be having the same conversation about Maupay, the pressure wouldn't be as intense and i bet he would have scored some of the chances he missed.

He's still young too, my money would be on him getting better and better, but he needs to get his mojo back and learn the lessons from this season.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Good point re. RSC, tbh i haen't lost faith in Maupay....... Yet. Imho he needs to be more instinctive, stop listening to the media and pay more attention to the people around him who obviously believe in him because they pick him every week.

It's been a common narrative this season, Brighton aren't clinical enough, and it is true, we all know that, but if you're the main guy responsible for sticking the ball in the net, it wouldn't be surprising to feel that pressure more than your team mates who are equally culpable, if Lallana, Gross, March etc. Had just been a little less wasteful then we wouldn't be having the same conversation about Maupay, the pressure wouldn't be as intense and i bet he would have scored some of the chances he missed.

He's still young too, my money would be on him getting better and better, but he needs to get his mojo back and learn the lessons from this season.

He definatley has the talent, but his mentally is a concern. Last week he did a zoom interview on Sky and spoke about playing Fifa21, he actually said he will never be as good as the best gamers because he lacks mental toughness (or words to that effect).

This set alarm bells ringing.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea

I think you’re wrong on both tbh. A fast and strong striker who worries defences is the missing jigsaw piece and both of those fit the bill imo.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
He definatley has the talent, but his mentally is a concern. Last week he did a zoom interview on Sky and spoke about playing Fifa21, he actually said he will never be as good as the best gamers because he lacks mental toughness (or words to that effect).

This set alarm bells ringing.

Mental toughness to play fifa? Jeez, that must be why im crap at it :lolol: And there was me blaming the game itself for beig a cheating *******, hmmm maybe he has a point.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I've been banging on about DIKE at Barnsley but after watching him in the play off games it seems the centre backs sussed him out and got him rattled very easily and to be honest he was basically invisible both games.
But what do I know about football and maybe he could be the sort of player GP can get the best out of and I'm sure he has a £20m release clause from his club in USA

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Not convinced. He doesn't run much, unlike Maupay. He's a static sort of target man, and doesn't fit in with Potter's fluid approach. There's so much fuss about Toney, but I suspect he'll struggle at PL level. Also factor in that, if Brentford go up, he'll have the chance to prove me wrong; if they don't and Brentford sell, the price will be silly especially for a 25yo. Great penalty yesterday though and, granted, his record from the spot is excellent -- this is something that we might want to think about in terms of our signings this summer.

Someone who plays between the posts and focuses on getting in the box is exactly what we need. Potter’s done a good job without one, but that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t want one.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Personally I’d like to see Ryan Sessegnon, who would be cheaper and would give us national balance with Lamptey on the other wing. He can defend as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
Terem Moffi could be another CF option. Big, strong, quick centre forward. His link up play looks good as well. Only 21. Scored 14 goals this season in Ligue 1 (his first season for Lorient).

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Personally I’d like to see Ryan Sessegnon, who would be cheaper and would give us national balance with Lamptey on the other wing. He can defend as well

Quite different players I think? I agree Sessegnon would be good, but I suspect a new regime at Spurs is designed to bring through young players (unlike Mourinho’s famous reluctance to), so doubt he’s going anywhere

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Very good player, unfortunately I think he is going somewhere higher up the food chain. But would like a similar player, right now there's no option to Trossard.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I think you’re wrong on both tbh. A fast and strong striker who worries defences is the missing jigsaw piece and both of those fit the bill imo.

This

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Personally I’d like to see Ryan Sessegnon, who would be cheaper and would give us national balance with Lamptey on the other wing. He can defend as well.

Certainly wouldn't mind gtting Sessegnon - but would he really be cheaper? West Brom presumably will need to sell a few, so the price could be reasonable - as opposed to a youngster who Spurs paid £25M for two years ago who still only just turned 21 a few days ago.
What price tag would you put on each player?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here