Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
While I'm relaxed this far out from the end of the window. Let's be clear what we currently have, Maupay who had a great 1st season and Connolly who scored 3 goals last season. You are then advocating we go with two attacking midfield players, one of whom cannot even hold down a place in the 18 much less the team? This is not a state of affairs that can be allowed if we are to stay up. I for one think we are at the beginning of a great new era, we have strengthened significantly defensively, the change to three at the back will suit us and gives us some good options but we just cannot rely on just two strikers for the season. The moment they decided to let Murray go the clock started ticking on the necessity of signing a replacement.

Maybe you missed the bit where i said we absolutely DO need another striker, i am definitely not advocating that at all, i'm just saying if we have to get by until October we can and i'd rather that than a panic buy and get it wrong as we did with Locadia and probably would have with Vincent Jannson had he not turned us down.

Oh and Ali J was part of a front 3 when he scored all those goals in Holland.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Maybe you missed the bit where i said we absolutely DO need another striker, i am definitely not advocating that at all, i'm just saying if we have to get by until October we can and i'd rather that than a panic buy and get it wrong as we did with Locadia and probably would have with Vincent Jannson had he not turned us down.

Oh and Ali J was part of a front 3 when he scored all those goals in Holland.

I did see it I just think we cannot wait that long. We can manage for a week or two of course but the games come thick and fast though in Sept Throw in possible quarantine and natural settling in etc etc and it needs to be sooner rather than later assuming its from abroad and I'm 99% sure it will be. Ali J did indeed play in a three in Holland but he's shown nothing so far to suggest he's good enough, although I don't think he has had a fair crack of the whip either.

No one wants a panic buy but I refuse to believe there was no plan B after Nunez but it needs to be moved forward ASAP even if that means paying a bit extra. Waiting to the end of the window could get us a better player but moving Murray on his shown our hand somewhat and if we are left without another forward we are in trouble...

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I did see it I just think we cannot wait that long. We can manage for a week or two of course but the games come thick and fast though in Sept Throw in possible quarantine and natural settling in etc etc and it needs to be sooner rather than later assuming its from abroad and I'm 99% sure it will be. Ali J did indeed play in a three in Holland but he's shown nothing so far to suggest he's good enough, although I don't think he has had a fair crack of the whip either.

No one wants a panic buy but I refuse to believe there was no plan B after Nunez but it needs to be moved forward ASAP even if that means paying a bit extra. Waiting to the end of the window could get us a better player but moving Murray on his shown our hand somewhat and if we are left without another forward we are in trouble...

I'm sure if we could get someone in this week we would, but the transfer market is still slow so far and we may be needing another club to sign a replacement before letting a striker join us.

The fact we didn't take the same approach with Muzza is probably out of respect for Glenn himself and partly because all the players i mentioned previously would possibly have been ahead of him anyway. I do feel we need a Murray type player, but sadly no longer Glenn himself.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
We really are lagging behind the curve again. We have manoeuvred ourself into a weak negotiation position, and it is not a good idea to leave it until after the season starts. 1 week left IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Hmmm dunno

Most teams have far more outs than ins.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1674059

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Yes I just meant with our striker options. Sorry, I should have said. Veltman [emoji736] Lallana [emoji736] Dunk [emoji736] White [emoji736] Striker [emoji1630]

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes I just meant with our striker options. Sorry, I should have said. Veltman [emoji736] Lallana [emoji736] Dunk [emoji736] White [emoji736] Striker [emoji1630]

Roll with it, what will be will be, save your anger for when the window closes, if we still haven’t signed anyone

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Roll with it, what will be will be, save your anger for when the window closes, if we still haven’t signed anyone

The common sense approach. Whatever we want we have zero influence on the process, havent got a scooby whats going on behind the scenes, so its just pointless to get too irate yet at this stage.

We're either going to soon be happy, soon be indifferent and debating it to death, or partaking in a mass collective bed wetting on Oct 6th after the window SLAMS SHUT.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
While I'm relaxed this far out from the end of the window. Let's be clear what we currently have, Maupay who had a great 1st season and Connolly who scored 3 goals last season. You are then advocating we go with two attacking midfield players, one of whom cannot even hold down a place in the 18 much less the team? This is not a state of affairs that can be allowed if we are to stay up. I for one think we are at the beginning of a great new era, we have strengthened significantly defensively, the change to three at the back will suit us and gives us some good options but we just cannot rely on just two strikers for the season. The moment they decided to let Murray go the clock started ticking on the necessity of signing a replacement.

Unfortunately Glenn did not show any likelihood of scoring or contributing towards a goal. His best days are behind him so it would have been much more likely that we would change formation or draft in a midfielder/U23 striker to the forward line than have Glenn in the team. Whilst I agree we need to sign a striker I don’t think there is any connection with the decision to allow Glenn to extend his career in the Championship.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Unfortunately Glenn did not show any likelihood of scoring or contributing towards a goal. His best days are behind him so it would have been much more likely that we would change formation or draft in a midfielder/U23 striker to the forward line than have Glenn in the team. Whilst I agree we need to sign a striker I don’t think there is any connection with the decision to allow Glenn to extend his career in the Championship.

To be fair Glenn's contribution last season was negligible he didn't get a lot of chances and he did at least offer an option. Pushing a midfielder forward or changing to one up front are not viable options when chasing a game particularly? We cannot go into the season with two strikers. Three is pushing our luck with the programme of games this season. Losing him does have the advantage of freeing up wages and a squad place but it does necessitate the need to get another striker in. It's madness to suggest we could go through a season with two.

Fortunately, I cannot imagine a scenario where that happens and I am sure they are working hard to get a replacement but its obvious to all that we do need one...

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Maybe he will, maybe he wont, but he did play up front against Chelsea last week which suggests Potter is at least considering it, he didn't bring on Gyokeres though.

I wish i had your confidence in a done deal, i'd be pleasantly surprised personally.

I don't think we have a done deal personally. Argus confirmed we were still in advanced talks with Almeria re Nunez a week ago, and if it's true we had in a 25 million'ish bid, I doubt we have gone from that to another decent priced option, all signed and sealed a week later.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Glenn played 786 minutes for us in the 19/20 PL season, scoring 1 and assisting 1.

In the 9 games after lockdown he played a total of 85 minutes.

'Losing him' does not significantly impact our attacking threat.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
If after the clip tweeted by the club today we don’t have a new striker announced then this is up there with Leeds telling their fans not to go to bed as more news coming then they announced two players were leaving.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I don't think we have a done deal personally. Argus confirmed we were still in advanced talks with Almeria re Nunez a week ago, and if it's true we had in a 25 million'ish bid, I doubt we have gone from that to another decent priced option, all signed and sealed a week later.

Whoever they've moved on to as primary target post-Nunez they won't have started from scratch. They'll have been doing negotiations in parallel on a number of potential deals. As such, I actually wouldn't be that surprised if we'd signed Target B just a week after Target A was deemed unavailable. Also wouldn't be surprised if at the point of signing Target B they'd've had Target C close to being ready as well.

Having said that, I'm not as confident that we've already got someone signed, or are close to it. If we had someone signed, they'd be announced as such already. If we're close to it ... well, it's been too long since Murray was announced as going out on loan. I suspect the reality is that Murray's contract extension was as cover in case of relegation, but having stayed up he was never in our plans for the season ahead and this loan was purely and simply to give him the chance to play, cover some/all of his contract costs, and free up a squad place *if* we can sign some of our targets.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If after the clip tweeted by the club today we don’t have a new striker announced then this is up there with Leeds telling their fans not to go to bed as more news coming then they announced two players were leaving.

What clip? See nowt on twitter that could be deduced as a potential incoming?

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton

What clip? Billy Reid saying we need to score more goals? I wouldn't take that as some sort of secret wink that we're about to announce a new striker. It's just our assistant manager stating the bleeding obvious.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Yeah that clip. I would find it very odd for them to say something like that and not have an announcement lined up. I might be wrong but it seems an odd clip to use otherwise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here