[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
A leopard doesn’t change his spots, once fit Andone will be out on loan again. Potter lost interest in him after no time at all.

you say that but he was good in turkey till injured. did great and was rated highly in spain. times a good healer imho and if Andone gets fit, shows a touch of humility and knuckles down......... I actually think we may just see him again.

Hes good enough and him/maupay work well together. Potter can put his masters degrees to use. Andone's skills as a footballer are not to be sniffed at

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
For me, the whole Andone episode is the one blip I’ve seen in GP’s tenure.

No question Potter has been fantastic for our club, the way he’s changed our play, added more tactical flexibility and technical improvements.

But Andone was a really (legit) good player for us. I genuinely thought we’d caught a real gem. Potter seemed to rate him, he started him a few times. But that red card, for whatever reason GP has zero forgiveness for.

I would have thought a psychological man like GP with his degree in emotional intelligence would be all over a project like Andone. There’s a cracking player there if he can control and harness his emotions.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Missed some very presentable ones as well. I actually do expect more than 10, yes.

For a team like us 14 - 16 is a good effort, that's why I said promising, he needs a decent partner and also needs to commit to his runs more.

Tough crowd. I think your expectations are unrealistic.

Maupay has been an exceptional signing for us I think. Perfectly suits our play, both footed, heads, dribbles, rarely injured and a big character. Worth every penny.

If he carried on his progress with us we’ll do well to keep him.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Just reading through and I share BW2,s frustrations regarding a striker as it’s an obvious weakness in the squad as a whole.

My personal frustration is the fact that we never appear to be “active” in the process of obtaining a player via the written press, unlike other clubs, but I accept although frustrating that this isn’t a bad thing. The club has a history of doing things low key which is sensible however as a fan, I am making an assumption that we are doing things behind the scenes, where equally there is every chance we are not or not to the best of our ability.

Being linked to a known player before transaction is nice however can also be counterproductive in obtaining value for money.

The other point I will make is there’s a lot said on here about the no resale value of players who are aged 28 or above. Although I agree that the resale value will be affected, I don’t see it being a reason not to transact on the basis if the player is a success, let’s say £25 million fee and 70k staying up with pay for this outlay over the 3 years.

I don’t expect us as a club to start living way beyond our means however we do need to start competing financially (with appropriate clauses and bonuses for protection) with clubs finishing in 8th to 16th to grow. Sure it heightens the risk but it can be rewarding based on performance related bonuses and relegation impacted pay on a sliding scale

Out of interest have we in recent years ever signed somebody and announced it on a weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Tough crowd. I think your expectations are unrealistic.

Maupay has been an exceptional signing for us I think. Perfectly suits our play, both footed, heads, dribbles, rarely injured and a big character. Worth every penny.

If he carried on his progress with us we’ll do well to keep him.

Depends what you aspire to.

If our goal is to be a top 10 team, then he will need to step up, as will the midfield.
If 8 out of the top 10 teams has a forward with at least 13/14 or above, there’s your answer.

Murray got 13 the season before and arguably we were a lot less offensive.

If I recall in our first spell Robinson got near 20; Ritchie scored around 14.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
But I keep saying there is an imperative to get a striker in BEFORE the season starts. It is not impossible and should be factored in as a justifiable criticism of the army of recruiters we have. Laughably, we currently have more recruitment heads than strikers (not my point, stolen from elsewhere), and it is beyond belief that a club that aspires to be top 10 is in our current position.

Last night you were going to ‘tone it down’. We’re very quickly back to ‘laughable’ and beyond belief’ I see. Thank Christ you’re not in charge of recruitment- we’d be flinging huge piles of cash in all directions to but anyone.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I expect us to lose, would take a draw right now. a win would be fantastic, unless that lulls people into a false sense of security that we can get by with what we have.

With Chelsea and Man U home and a tricky away tie to an improving Newcastle, there is a secondary risk in the striker recruitment dept. If we can assume most of the british based talent like Watkins/Wilson will be mopped up, not sure foreign players (who wont know much about brighton) who look at the table and see us down there with a couple of points at best are going to be falling over themselves to join. Its easier to sell the vision of top 10, than the reality of another relegation scrap.

Of course our start isnt the easiest, but being bottom 6 at end of September (a possibility) does make the task of decent striker recruitment, a tad tougher.

This. And I made this point about timing of the striker acquisition previously.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This. And I made this point about timing of the striker acquisition previously.

I would guess most fans would much prefer we had in a potentially prolific striker. Doesnt mean the club isnt trying to do just that though or should be blamed vociferously for the fact it hasn't happened yet in the absense of any proof. We have 38 games - a month of this window, plus Jan window. Its not ideal, but its not anywhere near yet a doomsday scenario, a reason to panic or excuse to slate the recruitment team (when none of us have the first clue at whats going on).

If we're broadly the same come October 6th, I'll be venting, but getting good quality and capable strikers is not like buying apples in the supermarket. its tough

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Depends what you aspire to.

If our goal is to be a top 10 team, then he will need to step up, as will the midfield.
If 8 out of the top 10 teams has a forward with at least 13/14 or above, there’s your answer.

Murray got 13 the season before and arguably we were a lot less offensive.

If I recall in our first spell Robinson got near 20; Ritchie scored around 14.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m willing to go out on a limb that Maupay will beat his goals tally this season.

If we‘re to be a top 10 team we also need our midfield to step up big time.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Not including untried youngsters, we currently have two very promising strikers who now have a year at this level behind them, another guy who won the golden boot in Holland and a Belgian international who can play up front if needed. We absolutely do need another striker imho, but it's not as desperate as some may think, if we have to wait until October to get the right guy in (who may be no more than back up or a different option anyway) then so be it.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I’m willing to go out on a limb that Maupay will beat his goals tally this season.

If we‘re to be a top 10 team we also need our midfield to step up big time.

Agree to both. They both need to.

Maupay’s, IMO will be reliant on who we sign.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Not including untried youngsters, we currently have two very promising strikers who now have a year at this level behind them, another guy who won the golden boot in Holland and a Belgian international who can play up front if needed. We absolutely do need another striker imho, but it's not as desperate as some may think, if we have to wait until October to get the right guy in (who may be no more than back up or a different option anyway) then so be it.

Good in theory but GP won’t play AJ (unfortunately).

There’s no getting around it. We need more options up front. I still have faith something’s already done. The Murray deal suggests that imo.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

No question Potter has been fantastic for our club, the way he’s changed our play, added more tactical flexibility and technical improvements.

But Andone was a really (legit) good player for us. I genuinely thought we’d caught a real gem. Potter seemed to rate him, he started him a few times. But that red card, for whatever reason GP has zero forgiveness for.

I would have thought a psychological man like GP with his degree in emotional intelligence would be all over a project like Andone. There’s a cracking player there if he can control and harness his emotions.

I agree that it's very frustrating in that I believe we have 'one' in Andone and finding 'one' can be difficult. However, I guess it's not about what he can do with a project like Andone. It's more the effect that may have on the other 24 projects he has on the go in the meanwhile.

But I certainly agree there's an opportunity there.

Last edited:

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

While I'm relaxed this far out from the end of the window. Let's be clear what we currently have, Maupay who had a great 1st season and Connolly who scored 3 goals last season. You are then advocating we go with two attacking midfield players, one of whom cannot even hold down a place in the 18 much less the team? This is not a state of affairs that can be allowed if we are to stay up. I for one think we are at the beginning of a great new era, we have strengthened significantly defensively, the change to three at the back will suit us and gives us some good options but we just cannot rely on just two strikers for the season. The moment they decided to let Murray go the clock started ticking on the necessity of signing a replacement.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...

I think Andone was already angling to leave prior to GP as frustrated by opportunities under CH. As per Murray, better to be honest about playing time and solve that problem via loan than have unhappy players around. I dont see it as a failure. I see it as practical leadership.

GP Always talks about "the group" which tells me everything I need to know about his management and emotional intelligence.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Good in theory but GP won’t play AJ (unfortunately).

There’s no getting around it. We need more options up front. I still have faith something’s already done. The Murray deal suggests that imo.

Maybe he will, maybe he wont, but he did play up front against Chelsea last week which suggests Potter is at least considering it, he didn't bring on Gyokeres though.

I wish i had your confidence in a done deal, i'd be pleasantly surprised personally.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Isn't Andone out until January at the earliest anyway. With all the players leaving or going out on loan I would hope the club have at least 2 incoming to bolster the squad

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

I think the red card was just the tip of the iceberg and however good he was you can’t have a bad egg in the camp when you are trying to build a togetherness under the new manager

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports