Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The worst violence you have witnessed at a Brighton game ?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Do you remember the Blades fan goading the Brighton with the corner flag?
He apparently wrote a book about football violence and that game is mentioned.

I wonder if the Rev knows who the Brighton fan was who picked up the flag and was pictured in the argus ?

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
Do you remember the Blades fan goading the Brighton with the corner flag?
He apparently wrote a book about football violence and that game is mentioned.

I was in the East stand that day, i had taken a girlfriend to her very first match. As the final whistle blew, a Blades fan fired a flare at the West stand, and they all piled over the fence onto the pitch. All the OB had gone outside the ground to stop any trouble there but it all happened inside. My girlfriend said "isn't that your mate there", i turned around to see one of my mates battering a Sheffield fan on the pitch, which i thought was weird because he had been banned for life from the ground the week before.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
and oxford still hold a grudge to this day...

plenty of trouble in ajax last nite,over 100 arrests,more today,plus polish and belgium lads going to cause trouble in town centre :rolleyes:

Jan 30, 2008
at the goldstone,spurs 78 must take some beating,although chelsea,millwall & west ham all tried

on the road,chesterfield last game of the season late 70's and palace up until they got relegated from the old div 1

personally,got a shoeing at stamford bridge v. palace 2nd replay

also turned over at oldham & wolves oddly enough (well,maybe not wolves)

at highbury too for the fa cup game early 80's,very poor turn out that day and yet a week earlier at ipswich there was every man and his dog

close shaves at bolton,sunderland,liverpool and cardiff weren't too friendly either

my brother got a good kicking at everton too
Arsenal in the 80's was a bit dodgey to say the least and they had a good firm then , no real segregation in the clock end just a line of OB , remember having a piss at half time and got the old push in the back trick, expected a clump but it never came, never used arsenal tube station, always went back to Highbury and islington .

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
early 70's don't think so?

Absolutely the early 70's. Maybe they weren't in the top division but they were higher than us. Terry Paine was still playing for them and I'm sure it finished 1-1. Some Saints monkey was about to swing a lump of wood at me when two OB grabbed each of his outstretched arms and lifted him up in the air and took him away

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
And how could I leave out the battles against Brentford in our promotion year of 89. Went to Griffin park twice that season. Beat them in the league and cup ( Gary Nelson scoring a thunderbolt after taking it round about 5 players) trouble and running battles all the way back to Brentford station. Train getting smashed up, glass from striplights in my hair and O.B pulling Brighton fans off the train and setting the dogs on us.

Sent by Derek Acorah via the spirit world.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Absolutely the early 70's. Maybe they weren't in the top division but they were higher than us. Terry Paine was still playing for them and I'm sure it finished 1-1. Some Saints monkey was about to swing a lump of wood at me when two OB grabbed each of his outstretched arms and lifted him up in the air and took him away

We didn't play Southampton between 1962 and 1977 in the league.

There were pre-season 'friendlies' in 1967 (0-2), 1970 (0-1) and 1972 (0-0)

Watching football in the 1970s was f***ing shit when you think about it. Now, on the way to and from Falmer you can have a civilised conversation with an away fan on the train. Back then, you were likely to get bottled and the trips back from away games on the Seagulls Special sometimes included the bonus of no windows.

At home, the Spurs game in 1978 was definitely the worst. It kicked off all over the ground.

Mental.

horsham seagull

Mar 29, 2008
Yep remember that one - weren't there something like 50 Brighton arrested that day. I remember that making the front page of the argus!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
the saints game was the same season as spurs 77-78,they put up temporary scaffolding of sorts to keep southampton from the fence,but they just dismantled it and threw it in the north stand

north stand actually ran back around 20 feet,loads of southampton up for it that day,remember it well,it was the first time i'd seen them and was intrigued to see what sort of a mob they would bring,f***ing hell,soon found out

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Some friends of mine and I got into Portman Rd, Ipswich before the game, knicked a corner flag and stuffed it in the boot. Halfway back we were stopped in Dartford by a M/C cop who asked if he could look in the boot. When he opened it, the post went "Boing" nearly hitting him in the mush. We were arrested and latter cautioned.
I seem to remember the flag was valued at £1.89. Late 70's I believe.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
For me, Spurs 1978.

Even though I was a young gobby teenager, I still made about 100 of the Spurs bastards run.

MInd you, I'm bloody glad they didn't catch me.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Judging by some of the threads on here it would appear that last night's behaviour by Millwall fans was amongst the worse you have ever seen?
Obviously a lot worse has been observed over the years, so in your opinions what is the worst violence you have ever seen at a Brighton match ?

For me it has to be the visit of Chelsea in September 83.

Millwall were pussys compared to the games in the eighties, i can remember west ham at home half time in the North stand out came the claret and blue hats and scarfes then all of hell broke lose.Some tried to get onto the pitch by climbing the fence some fought back the OB just pushed them back in and did nothing,then the running battles after the game,happy days but best left in the past.Was anyone else on here in the north for that game:D:albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2:.I reckon Tony was there

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Not old enough to remember the seventies or eighties violence.

I would say Cardiff City at the Goldstone in March 1997 after we beat them 2-0. They were everywhere and just laying into anybody they thought would fight back in the park and outside the north stand. I got a smack in the face and the Soul Crew were f***ing lunatics. Proper firm though; no little chavs that would shit it.

was watching game from the gardens overlooking east terrace that banned fans were allowed to use during war yrs. some of us made the mistake of chanting the score at cardiff in south seats. they immediately caught us by eye, got up with about 20 to go, left the ground and then chased us out of gardens! silly cos I don't remember think we were welcomed back!. They were def everywhere that night.

Worst for me was Canvey Island away when it just went off afters at road junction, although it was lots if missiles. Face to face was after Oxford 94 when crowd behind south east corner went mental. I remember someone punching police officer square in face outside the church. Crazy. Kicked off out of nothing too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here