The worst violence you have witnessed at a Brighton game ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Spurs 78 game was off the chart. I was in the West stand looking at the North and it was just going off all over the place.
Bloody scary scenes

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Most of that was before my time, the worst I have seen at a game was the end of the last match of the season against Sheffield United

That was a good one - some decent photos about of that one too! Kicked off in Brighton town centre that night - unfortunately I ended up battered, robbed, minus teeth and wandering around town with concussion muttering 'I'm the Incredible Hulk' due to shirt being ripped off my back and just sleeves left!! Came to in A&E next morning - happy days!!!

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Also, as RoR has alluded to, and many may not realise, is that in the late 70s and early 80s many of the bigger teams firms would bring dozens down on the Friday night and it would always end up kicking off up and down Queens Road, West Street and the surrounding areas from early evening into the early hours!! Man Utd, Millwall, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Pompey, Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield clubs etc etc and more all fancied the idea of an evening out by the seaside prior to the match and this at various times led to confrontations involving stabbings, Alsatian dogs, petrol-bombs and more!!!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
130 arrested (90 friday night) spurs fans locked in subway bottom of west street overnight:lol: 1 spurs fan stabbed,north stand taken, fans on pitch,south stand intact.:hilton:

I would normally have been in the North Stand, but luckily that day was my annual turn to use the company season ticket in the South Stand. Phew!

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Quite an educational thread, this. Can't believe there are some among us who yearn for the old days of running battles, knifings and all the rest when you read about the misery it created for the victims.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

possibly, I can remember being in the North and hoping to get on the pitch as it was tradition for the last game but the Sheffield fans started climbing over the away fence onto the pitch as well so I stayed where I was. I can also remember one of their fans waving the corner flag above their head like they were braveheart.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Spurs 78 game was off the chart. I was in the West stand looking at the North and it was just going off all over the place.
Bloody scary scenes

this

birmingham city at home and Wolves and liverpool at Hove Station

west ham in the 70's as always the worst experience. Worst bunch of animals I have ever seen in 36 years of supporting brighton

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
Well I can't believe for one minute Tuesday night was anywhere near as bad as the violence at many matches during the late seventies and early eighties. Spurs spring to mind in 78 when violence in the ground spilled over on to the pitch causing a delay in the game. Against Arsenal in 79/80 in the cup when their meatheads turned up in the Northstand resplendent in their donkey jackets and caused mayhem with Brighton fans escaping by climbing over the cage fencing. And finally Chelsea in the Eighties where there was a massive pitch invasion. Virtually every game there were fights on the terraces and walking across Hove Park, you viewed every away fan with suspicion. On Tuesday, we walked through the Millwall fans at the end on our way to the P & R and whilst there was a bit of an intimidating atmosphere, 30 years ago you would'nt even contemplate mingling with them.

I was in the North Stand that night and it was a bit hairy!

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Bloody scary scenes

I was actually in the North stand & it was a bit hairy for a while. I ended up over towards the west side but refused to give in to the thugs & stayed in to watch the rest of the match, bit stupid really. North stand smelt like a public toilet by the end, disgusting.
It was before we had fencing so people climbed over the wall & walked round the side of the pitch to escape the violence. Really made me mad, on the news & in the papers 'Brighton fans invade the pitch', what utter tosh & guess what, we then had to put up fencing.

Birmingham bad too, idiots let their fans out early so they went round to the west gate & started lobbing stones over the gate on to Brighton fans in the standing section at the end of the west stand.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Spurs 78 by far the worst, not only fights in Brighton but in other towns. The thing about that game was that alot of Brighton fans who knew Spurs fans were told that they planned to start trouble in the north stand and the police were useless on the day. Does anyone remember the away game v Spurs earlier in the same season when after the game the Brighton fans were attacked on the tube train to Victoria, now that was scary.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
oh yes

next comes Millwall in 75/6 ish when they came down in surgical masks...won 3-2 I remember and they were in the bit under the west stand. That was my first experience of being really petrified walking down New Town Road.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Judging by some of the threads on here it would appear that last night's behaviour by Millwall fans was amongst the worse you have ever seen?
Obviously a lot worse has been observed over the years, so in your opinions what is the worst violence you have ever seen at a Brighton match ?

For me it has to be the visit of Chelsea in September 83.

same here - was ten at the time and was crapping myself...

Manure always used to be pretty bad in the ground

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Quite an educational thread, this. Can't believe there are some among us who yearn for the old days of running battles, knifings and all the rest when you read about the misery it created for the victims.

Don't think anybody is wanting a return to those days, just pointing out that Tuesday's incidents were nothing compared to years gone by.

Jan 30, 2008
Birmingham was tasty with the Zulus , been documented around the Ground / station , but remember getting the bus back into churchill square after the game and while going along church street see a gathering on the pavement, hoped off the bus only to find some brumies down a side alley, didn't go to well for them. scummers/Gooners in Fa cup worth a mention /man city were good on two occasions, came onto the east terrace on one occasion don't know why it didn't go big time but they just came down the front and let it be known without any real intent , forest were nasty along with Everton/liverpool.

northampton on the friday night game and oxford in the fa cup, both brought game firms

Last edited:

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
Millwall away in mid seventies. We went 1-0 up and they started climbing into the seats and attacking Albion fans (including elderly ones!) . Had to be a bit light footed that day.

Worst violence seen was at Chelsea vs Leeds early 70's. People laying bleeding in the streets etc.

pompeydel

May 27, 2004
West Sussex
Spurs 78, isn't that the game when the OB marched the majority of the away fans from the ground down along the seafront and up West Street/ Queens road to the station. Seem to remember a few bottles etc being thrown in West Street.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports