Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The worst violence you have witnessed at a Brighton game ?

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
Judging by some of the threads on here it would appear that last night's behaviour by Millwall fans was amongst the worse you have ever seen?
Obviously a lot worse has been observed over the years, so in your opinions what is the worst violence you have ever seen at a Brighton match ?

For me it has to be the visit of Chelsea in September 83.

Brighton & Oxford at Oxford about 20 years ago. Head of the River pub. Chairs Bottles people hospitalised. Not nice.

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
Seen loads unfortunately, again Millwall spring to mind at the old den play off game, we beat them to play Notts county at wembley and their fans went f***ing mental. Glasses thrown and I was punched at Pompey the year Redknapp was in charge and they went to the prem. Canvey island cup game afterwards when apparently loads of west ham kicked off with us big style. But I vividly remember ( because it was so up close and personal) was coming back from a league game at chelsea's. Stamford bridge late 80's. We lost, and coming back to Sussex there were still loads of Chelsea on the train. I wandered into the buffet carriage and it was what i can only describe as a Mexican stand off between Brighton and Chelsea fans. I walked out of the carriage shitting myself. It seemed my shutting the door was a catalyst for a rumble. Because the door flew open and the whole carriage was a sea of flailing arms and legs in the biggest fight in a confined space you can imagine. It's still ingrained in my memory, especially the poor guy who has a broken coke can repeatedly gouged into his face. The train was stopped and Chelsea fans booted off. Just horrible

Sent by Derek Acorah via the spirit world.

Shit, forgot about that - I was on that train - mayhem.

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
On a personal level I was thoroughly beaten up and (according to witnesses) repeatedly kicked in the face whilst unconscious on the floor fellow by Brighton "fans" in September 1994 when I had left a wedding to see us draw with Oxford. I was wearing a half decent suit and I remember clear as day (as I tried to run for the shelter of "The Exchange") "SUIT ****, SUIT **** .... KILL HIM, KILL HIM KILL HIM" .... not nice

If you were wearing a suit, it was probably the denizens of The Exchange that attacked you!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
at the goldstone,spurs 78 must take some beating,although chelsea,millwall & west ham all tried

on the road,chesterfield last game of the season late 70's and palace up until they got relegated from the old div 1

personally,got a shoeing at stamford bridge v. palace 2nd replay

also turned over at oldham & wolves oddly enough (well,maybe not wolves)

at highbury too for the fa cup game early 80's,very poor turn out that day and yet a week earlier at ipswich there was every man and his dog

close shaves at bolton,sunderland,liverpool and cardiff weren't too friendly either

my brother got a good kicking at everton too

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Not really violence as such ( tho spurs in 78 was probably the worst and most scary experience of hooliganism as they tried to break down the gates to a packed east terrace....)

but after the World Cup semi final in Turin in 1990. we were all kept in til about midnight after the game to avoid trouble, athen all herded onto buses that took us straight into the centre of Turin around the railway station................... where all the Germans had gathered and were waiting for us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tear gas, baton charges, dogs, horses, scared italian police with guns rapidly losing control............................

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Not really violence as such ( tho spurs in 78 was probably the worst and most scary experience of hooliganism as they tried to break down the gates to a packed east terrace....)

but after the World Cup semi final in Turin in 1990. we were all kept in til about midnight after the game to avoid trouble, athen all herded onto buses that took us straight into the centre of Turin around the railway station................... where all the Germans had gathered and were waiting for us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tear gas, baton charges, dogs, horses, scared italian police with guns rapidly losing control............................

I was in Turin that night too - now if you want to talk about England away....

Turin (v Belgium) in the Euros in I think 1980 Teargas, players off the pitch etc...
Katowise(sp) v Poland in 1989 WC Qualifier
Spain in 82 - first game v France in Bilbao

and a bit of handbags in Belgium in Euro 2000 - funny watching the water cannon in action!

Durlston

"Southgate, you're the one!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Not old enough to remember the seventies or eighties violence.

I would say Cardiff City at the Goldstone in March 1997 after we beat them 2-0. They were everywhere and just laying into anybody they thought would fight back in the park and outside the north stand. I got a smack in the face and the Soul Crew were f***ing lunatics. Proper firm though; no little chavs that would shit it.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Just a note about the 70's match v Millwall, we won after being 0-2 down, that was the infamous F-Troop with the masks and yes they were in the front of the West Stand at the south end. The police used their dogs on long leads and let them bite anyone who tried to cause troble.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Nobody mentioned a Southampton game in the early 70's. Can't remember the occasion but it must have been a cup game as they were in the top division. They moved in to take the North Stand with planks of wood being wielded and fights throughout the whole stand

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I`m sure there are a few accounts of the battle on the tea hut roof during the Spurs game somewhere on here. Now that was a scrap and a half. (north west) Just one battle in a war that day though.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Any of us in the North Stand in the 70s remember the drill. An infiltration at the NE corner followed by the younger Albion fans (14-16 years) bolting across the terrace followed by rival fans until sheer people volume combined with running into the older, nuttier Albion lads got the real punch ups started. The bigger the club and firm, the farther they got across the North until they met resistance. It was bloody war zone stuff and utterly frightening but strangely exciting. When you're in the wonderful surroundings of The Amex, even the curious presence of some throwback Neanderthals from Millwall doesn't make it anything like the complete madness of football violence in the 70s.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Most of that was before my time, the worst I have seen at a game was the end of the last match of the season against Sheffield United
Do you remember the Blades fan goading the Brighton with the corner flag?
He apparently wrote a book about football violence and that game is mentioned.

:moo:

Attachments

• sheff 2.jpg
    sheff 2.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 254

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here