Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Most Picturesque Counties in England

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Thought I'd tackle the Kent v Sussex thing here, but appreciate you aren't specifically comparing the 2 in your post above.

I'll see your list with Crawley, Bognor, Selsey, Lancing, Peacehaven and Newhaven and raise you Crowborough and Horley (Sussex town from 72-74).

Lived in Sussex for 30 years and Kent for last 10. On countryside and picture postcard villages the Garden of England wins I'm afraid. And to Canterbury and Whitstable I would add Tunbridge Wells, Sandwich and Broadstairs!

Take off those Sussex tinted specs people!

Newhaven ??? The town centre and industrial estates yes, but the surrounding countryside is nice.
Peacehaven, look either side of the housing, the coastline is nice and the countryside at the top of Peacehaven is stunning.

Jan 30, 2008
Newhaven ??? The town centre and industrial estates yes, but the surrounding countryside is nice.
Peacehaven, look either side of the housing, the coastline is nice and the countryside at the top of Peacehaven is stunning.
yep, that sewerage recycling plant aint bad mate :lolol:
regards
DR

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Thought I'd tackle the Kent v Sussex thing here, but appreciate you aren't specifically comparing the 2 in your post above.

I'll see your list with Crawley, Bognor, Selsey, Lancing, Peacehaven and Newhaven and raise you Crowborough and Horley (Sussex town from 72-74).

Lived in Sussex for 30 years and Kent for last 10. On countryside and picture postcard villages the Garden of England wins I'm afraid. And to Canterbury and Whitstable I would add Tunbridge Wells, Sandwich and Broadstairs!

Take off those Sussex tinted specs people!

I was born in Kent, so my spectacles are reasonably clear thanks :)

Whilst somewhere like Crawley is undoubtedly a bit of an eyesore, and Hastings has its moments, I'm really not sure either of them can hold a candle to Gillingham, Sittingbourne, Dover or Dartford in terms of being utter dumps.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Every county in our green and pleasant land has it's good points.So why in 10 years of working round the country did we always end up working in some of the roughest parts?:lolol::lolol:

Oct 25, 2003
Northumberland is rugged and beautiful - coastline fantastic with great walks and lovely small market towns and villages

and very much unvisited. I think the Northumberland national park has the lowest amount of visitors to it. The beaches tend to be empty as well (probably due to the weather). Alnmouth is one of my favourite villages in the UK- my gran lived in nearby Amble so I've visited that area a lot

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Having spent a couple of hours walking over the downs above Denton I'd say Sussex is picturesque enough for me. And it's no coincidence that the view form Seaford Head of the coastguard cottages , Cuckmere Haven an the Seven Sisters is on every Calender of the British Coast every year.

It is rather special isn't it !

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Kent...I mean...there are some nice bits, but it's nowhere near the likes of Cumbria (well, the Lake District), Derbyshire, Cornwall and so on.

For starters, it has Gillingham, Sittingbourne, Dartford, Margate, the Isle of Sheppey, Dover and Thanet. That's far more horrendous towns than any county has a right to, surely?

I'm sure Canterbury and Whitstable are all very picturesque, but they and a few oast houses don't make up for that lot just listed, by a long shot.

This all over. I grew up in (Royal) Tunbridge Wells, and it's really not as nice as people seem to believe it is. In actual fact the town centre itself is really quite scummy, especially the walk up the hill from the train station - what was a thriving shopping area has remained virtually derelict for nearly 10 years. There ARE some nice parts on the outskirts, but as a whole, the whole town seems to have an "Emperors new clothes" attitude.

Tonbridge on the other hand needs bombing into extinction. If you strip back all the charity shops, pound shops and bookies, it probably used to be a very nice town, with the castle on the river. Unfortunately it seems to have been invaded by chavs and scumbags. I went to school and college there, and over the 7 year period it just seemed to get dragged down, with one brutal building development after another.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Have unfortunately lived out of Sussex for almost two years. I had never felt homesick for a place like I do Sussex. Genuinely love and miss it and am relocating my business to Sussex by the end of year purely so I can live back in Brighton again. I genuinely feel my life is worse without Sussex in it.

The Lake District holds a very special place in my heart for various reasons, Cornwall is my second home but Sussex by The Sea does it for Nibble.

I've never seen evidence that there could be a business made out of being a pretentious luvvie?!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I've never seen evidence that there could be a business made out of being a pretentious luvvie?!

Well get your head out of your arse and look around a bit. You'll see all sorts.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
But the incinerator has allowed Beddingham landfill site to be shut down and re-landscaped - vastly improving the views down the Ouse Valley.

I can't see Beddingham from my house, but the incinerator has ruined the view from my house of the downs.

I'm sure the residents of Piddinghoe, Denton and South Heighton would rather not have to look at it every day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here