Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Most Picturesque Counties in England

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So you don't like the rest of Sussex, stunning white cliffs, seven sisters, Weald etc. I find that odd.
When I finally win Euro millions I will be able to afford my army of mercenaries who'll invade Lesser Sussex.
We'll then take over in the name of West Sussex.

For anyone unhappy with being ruled by the Western Overlords, my army will enclave Bexhill as the Peoples Republic of East Sussex.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The bit I don't understand is why schlep all the way down to the 18th century, sorry I mean Cornwall.
It's the arse end of nowhere.
One road in and that's full of caravans and campervan.
The natives still point at planes.
While the grockles are all so far up their own backsides it's like being in Brighton.

Save yourself 10 hours travelling and go to Dorset.
At least you can drink Palmers IPA.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I grew up on Portland and my gran still lives in Weymouth . Dorset has some stunning areas. West Bay for example.

If you ever get to Weymouth , for a truly stunning view head out of the town , away from portland on the coast road, go past Overcombe Corner and up the hill to The Spyglass pub, get yourself a pint of Cocky Hop and head to the back garden, go up to the fence and look right. It's a breathtaker.

Well said, will probably pop to West Bay for lunch tomorrow :)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The bit I don't understand is why schlep all the way down to the 18th century, sorry I mean Cornwall.
It's the arse end of nowhere.
One road in and that's full of caravans and campervan.
The natives still point at planes.
While the grockles are all so far up their own backsides it's like being in Brighton.

Save yourself 10 hours travelling and go to Dorset.
At least you can drink Palmers IPA.

Cornwall does have a magic of it's own and it is very different to Dorset, following your logic why bother leaving Sussex. but you are right, it doesn't half take some getting to. That's why I like it.

I live fairly near Penzance, I don't like the town that much. St Ives is nicer.

I like that it's way behind the times but it's also the poorest county in the UK.

Summer is amazing in Cornwall though winter can be Hellish.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'd replace Kent, Dorset and the Isle of Wight with Somerset, Wiltshire and Lancashire.

I have a biased towards northern counties generally.Yorkshire and Cumbria are rugged in their beauty. From the Midlands,Derbyshire and the Peak District are beautiful places too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Going to the in-laws in Okehampton, it's an ideal lunch spot. Fish straight off the boat.
Take your bike with you, hop out at Abbotsbury and cycle the coast road to West Bay.
You won't forget it.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Oh, Good thread Notters.

I shall have to give this some consideration and post back later. early doors, I would put parts of Gloucestershire (Cotswolds) right up there.
Agree that the Cotswolds are really beautiful place to stay or live.
We stayed in a National Trust 200 year old cottage in Snowshill last December, stunning views all round, even at night you could actually see stars, unlike the orange glow of London.
563_921_cottages_thumb_460x0,1.jpg

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Kent...I mean...there are some nice bits, but it's nowhere near the likes of Cumbria (well, the Lake District), Derbyshire, Cornwall and so on.

For starters, it has Gillingham, Sittingbourne, Dartford, Margate, the Isle of Sheppey, Dover and Thanet. That's far more horrendous towns than any county has a right to, surely?

I'm sure Canterbury and Whitstable are all very picturesque, but they and a few oast houses don't make up for that lot just listed, by a long shot.
You forgot Chatham ,that is a tip.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Take your bike with you, hop out at Abbotsbury and cycle the coast road to West Bay.
You won't forget it.

I was hoping to take my bike and head off up Dartmoor on Saturday, but I've not been on it for three weeks AND I seem to have buggered my ankle, so I should think I'd only be able to do 1/2 a mile. :( Hopefully in the summer!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cornwall does have a magic of it's own and it is very different to Dorset, following your logic why bother leaving WEST Sussex. but you are right, it doesn't half take some getting to. That's why I like it.

I live fairly near Penzance, I don't like the town that much. St Ives is nicer.

I like that it's way behind the times but it's also the poorest county in the UK.

Summer is amazing in Cornwall though winter can be Hellish.
Exactly.

Obviously I'm being somewhat glib.
Cornwall is lovely, if I lived in Menspantz I'd be constantly hankering to rekindle my childhood holidays and move to The Isles of Scilly.

But the Dorset coastline is so impressive and so much more accessible I find it hard to look beyond that.
Being a keen amateur geologist/fossil hunter obviously helps.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You forgot Chatham ,that is a tip.

Oh I'm sure there are many more. Mostly those ones looking across the river to the equally unpleasant parts of Essex.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Shropshire
Herefordshire
Gloucestershire
Worcestershire
Cornwall

In Wales
Pembrokeshire
Powys

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Sorry, it's a Daily Fail article and probably from a very small survey, in fact it's probably a thinly veiled advert, but what are your thoughts:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...amed-picturesque-county-England.html#comments

1. Cornwall 19.7%
2. Yorkshire 18.2%
3. Cumbria 11.5%
4. Devon 11%
5. Kent 4.6%
6. Derbyshire 4.5%
7. Northumberland 4.1%
8. Dorset 3.9%
9. Isle of Wight 3.2%
10. Gloucestershire 3.1%

For me, Cornwall is nowhere near as beautiful as Devon, with large swathes of it being bleak. And Sussex has a lot more to offer than Kent. I think our tourist board need to do a bit of work.

My top five (having visited all the counties of England), would be:

1. Cumbria (by a VERY long way)
2. North Yorkshire (Yorkshire is not a county)
3. Devon
4. Sussex (ok, not a county either)
5. Dorset.

I agree with you that Devon is prettier than Cornwall as you drive through them, the drive along the A30 through Cornwall can seem a bit grim at times.
But once you see the costal scenery of Cornwall there is no competition.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Exactly.

Obviously I'm being somewhat glib.
Cornwall is lovely, if I lived in Menspantz I'd be constantly hankering to rekindle my childhood holidays and move to The Isles of Scilly.

But the Dorset coastline is so impressive and so much more accessible I find it hard to look beyond that.
Being a keen amateur geologist/fossil hunter obviously helps.

Yes, agreed, used to find all kinds of ( common) fossils on the beaches, also some of the best fish and chips in the world in Dorset. Off there next week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here