Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Most Picturesque Counties in England

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I agree with Cornwall being on the list - I used to spend a lot of time in Mevagissey as a child as my grandparents used to live there - got a soft spot for that part of the world, however backwards it is.

IOW has some pretty places, but i'd not live there - the roads are shocking and some of the facilities even worse.

And to wade into the West/East argument...I'm a Westie born and raised.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
1. Sussex. Although I have only lived in the east of the county, my parents are from both east and west. Living away in exile up north for 14 years only reinforced my love of sea, down and weald. It is really, as Kipling said, a fair ground. (I imagine he was talking about the entire county!)

2. Devon. Almost as wild as Cornwall, greater feeling of expanse and also much much greener.

3. Shropshire. Tons of fantastic walks, relatively remote for England and lovely towns like Shrewsbury and Ludlow.

4. Dorset. Almost twee, beautiful rolling hills, great beaches, fossils and the wonderful Abbotsbury subtropical gardens.

5. Cumberland. So beautiful, so sparsely populated but like Cornwall suffers from terrible road congestion. It has a similar wet climate to Cornwall but is several degrees colder. And it is almost Scotland.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Have unfortunately lived out of Sussex for almost two years. I had never felt homesick for a place like I do Sussex. Genuinely love and miss it and am relocating my business to Sussex by the end of year purely so I can live back in Brighton again. I genuinely feel my life is worse without Sussex in it.

The Lake District holds a very special place in my heart for various reasons, Cornwall is my second home but Sussex by The Sea does it for Nibble.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Oh I'm sure there are many more. Mostly those ones looking across the river to the equally unpleasant parts of Essex.

Thanks for reminding me about this, I have three days next week working at Cliffe on the Isle of Grain and will be spending my evenings in a Premier Inn in Rochester! My lovely view of the Medway will be only slightly obscured by the Kentish Chavs queuing up for the drive-in McDonalds before they scatter the packaging hither and yon across the Hotel Car Park.

The Garden of England indeed...... :lolol:

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Having spent a couple of hours walking over the downs above Denton I'd say Sussex is picturesque enough for me. And it's no coincidence that the view form Seaford Head of the coastguard cottages , Cuckmere Haven an the Seven Sisters is on every Calender of the British Coast every year.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Oh, Good thread Notters.

I shall have to give this some consideration and post back later. early doors, I would put parts of Gloucestershire (Cotswolds) right up there.

Agreed. Inspired thread notters. Cumbria is basically scotland though, much as I love it, the borders or the lakes are not england in the purest sense. The lakes are unlike anywhere else in England apart from the Pennines, England as a whole does not do dramatic. That's for the celts.

Have to say, Sussex has everything. The downs, seven sisters, the channel, it's not dramatic or spectacular but you don't need mountains or all that rubbish.

Outside of Sussex, I love East Anglia and to be county specific especially the Suffolk coast. Thats England to me. Flat, unremarkable but somehow face punchingly beautiful.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Some views from my land in Cornwall, bit rugged for some , and for me between Sep and March but it has a beauty.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Having spent a couple of hours walking over the downs above Denton I'd say Sussex is picturesque enough for me. And it's no coincidence that the view form Seaford Head of the coastguard cottages , Cuckmere Haven an the Seven Sisters is on every Calender of the British Coast every year.

Driving from seaford to Eastbourne will do me. I don't need the Grand Canyon or the Himalayas. My favourite drive in the world.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
1. Sussex. Although I have only lived in the east of the county, my parents are from both east and west. Living away in exile up north for 14 years only reinforced my love of sea, down and weald. It is really, as Kipling said, a fair ground. (I imagine he was talking about the entire county!)

2. Devon. Almost as wild as Cornwall, greater feeling of expanse and also much much greener.

3. Shropshire. Tons of fantastic walks, relatively remote for England and lovely towns like Shrewsbury and Ludlow.

4. Dorset. Almost twee, beautiful rolling hills, great beaches, fossils and the wonderful Abbotsbury subtropical gardens.

5. Cumberland. So beautiful, so sparsely populated but like Cornwall suffers from terrible road congestion. It has a similar wet climate to Cornwall but is several degrees colder. And it is almost Scotland.

Kipling wore two hats, it's always annoyed me he tarted himself between the Kent borders and proper Sussex, rottingdean.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Derbyshire (peak District Buxton, Dovedale etc) must be up there surely?

Agree that Cornwall is luvverly and I like Glamorgan now that it is in England (10 miles from Dumbartonshire (also now in England)).

TNBA

TTF

I lived in Buxton for 6 years, lovely rugged countryside but being the highest town in England the weather is poor. The winters are long and cold, and it was in the record books for the cricket match Derbyshire being cancelled because of snow.....in JUNE. Some lovely village pubs around.
At the time i was there, Buxton (about a quarter of the population of Worthing) had 38 pubs, and with Labour, Cons, Liberal, Railway mens, and other clubs, plus hotels, had 62 licensed premises. A real ale paradise as well.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I'd replace Kent, Dorset and the Isle of Wight with Somerset, Wiltshire and Lancashire.

I have a biased towards northern counties generally.Yorkshire and Cumbria are rugged in their beauty. From the Midlands,Derbyshire and the Peak District are beautiful places too.

No, no, no !

Somerset is an absolute dump, and readers should never plan to come here because it is totally ugly, what with its border to border slums and relics of a failed industrial past.. No, clever readers should instead go to the West Midlands, or the............north. Also avoid Shropshire at all costs, and Dorset is equally naff.

There. You have been warned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here