Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Most Picturesque Counties in England

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think Kent and IOW are overrated, Shropshire underrated and Sussex deserves to be in the Top 10 too.

For me it's a face-off between the Yorkshire Dales and Cornwall.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Derbyshire (peak District Buxton, Dovedale etc) must be up there surely?

Agree that Cornwall is luvverly and I like Glamorgan now that it is in England (10 miles from Dumbartonshire (also now in England)).

TNBA

TTF

I lived in Burbage Buxton, my house was built of the Derbyshire stone, like the walls around the fields would be about 120 years old now. Farmland behind as far as the eye could see.
My road was a dead end and straight onto Goyt Valley..........stunning scenery and walks as shown below.
http://www.walkthehills.co.uk/peak ...tor-cats-tor-windgather-rocks-taxal-moor.html

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I lived in Buxton for 6 years, lovely rugged countryside but being the highest town in England the weather is poor. The winters are long and cold, and it was in the record books for the cricket match Derbyshire being cancelled because of snow.....in JUNE. Some lovely village pubs around.
At the time i was there, Buxton (about a quarter of the population of Worthing) had 38 pubs, and with Labour, Cons, Liberal, Railway mens, and other clubs, plus hotels, had 62 licensed premises. A real ale paradise as well.

Leatherbriches

One of my favourite real ales of al time.

the name has a great taste developing in my mouth

TNBA

TTF

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
image.jpg

Lake Windermere from Orrest Head. Not bad,not bad at all. Loved my time there.

Sussex, come on, beautiful!

image.jpg

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
When I finally win Euro millions I will be able to afford my army of mercenaries who'll invade Lesser Sussex.
We'll then take over in the name of West Sussex.

For anyone unhappy with being ruled by the Western Overlords, my army will enclave Bexhill as the Peoples Republic of East Sussex.

We don't mind, your council's greener than ours. (at least they collect the rubbish and keep the place tidier.)

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Says it all guys

God gives all men all earth to love,
spacer.jpg
But since man’s heart is small,
Ordains for each one spot shall prove
spacer.jpg
Beloved over all.
Each to his choice, and I rejoice
spacer.jpg
The lot has fallen to me
In a fair ground—in a fair ground—
spacer.jpg
Yea, Sussex by the sea!

Sussex By R.Kipling

The full jobbie can be read here

Last edited:

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Sorry, it's a Daily Fail article and probably from a very small survey, in fact it's probably a thinly veiled advert, but what are your thoughts:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...amed-picturesque-county-England.html#comments

1. Cornwall 19.7%
2. Yorkshire 18.2%
3. Cumbria 11.5%
4. Devon 11%
5. Kent 4.6%
6. Derbyshire 4.5%
7. Northumberland 4.1%
8. Dorset 3.9%
9. Isle of Wight 3.2%
10. Gloucestershire 3.1%

For me, Cornwall is nowhere near as beautiful as Devon, with large swathes of it being bleak. And Sussex has a lot more to offer than Kent. I think our tourist board need to do a bit of work.

My top five (having visited all the counties of England), would be:

1. Cumbria (by a VERY long way)
2. North Yorkshire (Yorkshire is not a county)
3. Devon
4. Sussex (ok, not a county either)
5. Dorset.

Just seeing the thread title I said Cumbria. By a country mile in my experience.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Devon .... Lived here 7 years now and love the little village I live in, different views everyday , walk the dog and not see a soul for hours, great for outdoor sports and some cracking micro breweries down here
Just a bugger getting to Albion games !!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I cycled from Lands End to John O'Groats a few years back, and I have got to say, we live in a truly beautiful country. I was completely blown away by it - I have always headed south on holiday, which obviously means that I knew little of the North.

Devon, Gloucestershire, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Cumbria...all were gorgeous. And Scotland.

We basically headed up the west side of England, so missed the delights of Sussex, Dorset, Hampshire etc.

I wouldn't like to say one place is better than any other, all were special.

Oh, all right, Sussex wins.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Sorry, it's a Daily Fail article and probably from a very small survey, in fact it's probably a thinly veiled advert, but what are your thoughts:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...amed-picturesque-county-England.html#comments

1. Cornwall 19.7%
2. Yorkshire 18.2%
3. Cumbria 11.5%
4. Devon 11%
5. Kent 4.6%
6. Derbyshire 4.5%
7. Northumberland 4.1%
8. Dorset 3.9%
9. Isle of Wight 3.2%
10. Gloucestershire 3.1%

For me, Cornwall is nowhere near as beautiful as Devon, with large swathes of it being bleak. And Sussex has a lot more to offer than Kent. I think our tourist board need to do a bit of work.

My top five (having visited all the counties of England), would be:

1. Cumbria (by a VERY long way)
2. North Yorkshire (Yorkshire is not a county)
3. Devon
4. Sussex (ok, not a county either)
5. Dorset.

In your top 5, what do you mean by 4 ? The not a county either bit ?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Kent...I mean...there are some nice bits, but it's nowhere near the likes of Cumbria (well, the Lake District), Derbyshire, Cornwall and so on.

For starters, it has Gillingham, Sittingbourne, Dartford, Margate, the Isle of Sheppey, Dover and Thanet. That's far more horrendous towns than any county has a right to, surely?

I'm sure Canterbury and Whitstable are all very picturesque, but they and a few oast houses don't make up for that lot just listed, by a long shot.

Thought I'd tackle the Kent v Sussex thing here, but appreciate you aren't specifically comparing the 2 in your post above.

I'll see your list with Crawley, Bognor, Selsey, Lancing, Peacehaven and Newhaven and raise you Crowborough and Horley (Sussex town from 72-74).

Lived in Sussex for 30 years and Kent for last 10. On countryside and picture postcard villages the Garden of England wins I'm afraid. And to Canterbury and Whitstable I would add Tunbridge Wells, Sandwich and Broadstairs!

Take off those Sussex tinted specs people!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Thought I'd tackle the Kent v Sussex thing here, but appreciate you aren't specifically comparing the 2 in your post above.

I'll see your list with Crawley, Bognor, Selsey, Lancing, Peacehaven and Newhaven and raise you Crowborough and Horley (Sussex town from 72-74).

Lived in Sussex for 30 years and Kent for last 10. On countryside and picture postcard villages the Garden of England wins I'm afraid. And to Canterbury and Whitstable I would add Tunbridge Wells, Sandwich and Broadstairs!

Take off those Sussex tinted specs people!
None of the places you list that are bad in Sussex are anywhere near as dire as the horrible places in Kent.

In defence of Kent, I started at a hotel near Maidstone and Sevenoaks the other weekend and some of the small towns and villages up there were truly gorgeous.

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Northumbria
Norfolk
Sussex
West Yorkshire moors
Somerset

I've grown up mostly in West Yorkshire in Ilkley and spent many hours on the beautiful Ilkley moor, but North Yorkshire is my favourite part of the county...
I love Cumbria, Sussex, Derbyshire (used to cycle around the Peaks when I lived in Sheffield) and there are lovely parts of Shropshire too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here