Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Decision - YES, but first prove there's nowhere else available

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Sheepcote Valley is a landfill site. It was filled in 2 years ago.

You cannot build on a landfill site for 40 years.

That means we can build there in 38?

Am i right?

Anyway, there are NO sustainable transport links.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Answer me this to clear my head as still confused:

WHERE does JP say that Falmer is YES *if* no other site is viable enough?

As i read it he's just asking about other sites and wants reports on them, nothing I have read as categorically (sp?) stated that we WILL get Falmer if all other sites are crap.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
CrabtreeBHA said:
Answer me this to clear my head as still confused:

WHERE does JP say that Falmer is YES *if* no other site is viable enough?

As i read it he's just asking about other sites and wants reports on them, nothing I have read as categorically (sp?) stated that we WILL get Falmer if all other sites are crap.

Because the only issue being looked at is whether there are any suitable alternative sites. This is one of the criteria for building in an AONB, that it is permissable if there are no alternative sites. Therefore, prove that the other sites aren't suitable and suddenly it is definitely acceptable to build at Falmer, the other criteria for building in an AONB already having been met, and so a "Yes" decision is made.

(I'm inferring that the other criteria have been met from the fact that they aren't being considered at the re-opening of the Inquiry)

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
ok thanks for explaining it. still not sure though!

Thinking about this, there were 3 possible outcomes this morning.
(1) No, turn the plans down. We might have gone for a judicial review, at best would have taken a year or so, although the most likely outcome would have been a LOT more money spent and we still lose.
(2) Yes, permission granted. In this case, an almost certain judicial review, especially as JP would have ignored two inspectors recommendation. Best outcome, it takes at least another year but we win, although it costs us loads more dosh. And we may still lose.
(3) The maybe decision we got. Worst case scenario somebody miraculously finds that we can build somewhere else, although most likely outcome is a 3-4 month delay followed by granting of permission for Falmer. No chance of a Judicial Review.
JP has done us a huge favour with this decision. Why? Not because he's a closet Seagull fan, it can ONLY be because of the lobbying everybodyt has done on his office - flowers, postcards, Valentine cards, letters, emails, whatever. To everybody who did anything, and that's just about everybody on here and loads of other people who never come anywhere near NSC, it's pat yourself on the back time, and you can tell your granchildren, I did my bit!

tigger

Jul 26, 2004
Eastbourne
I am pretty confident about this now, but I have a nagging worry about the cost of developing other sites. The ODPM letter says that the 7 sites will be assessed against various criteria including:

Is site acquisition a realistic proposition?

and

Can a stadium be built without incurring unaffordable development costs.

What does this mean? When does a site become unaffordable?

Just supposing the enquiry says that Toads Hole Valley is the site we must build the stadium. This site is in private hands and it would cost a fortune to purchase the site. Could we be landed with a site that ODPM considers viable, but which the club in reality could never afford?

Provided this decision is designed to stymie any possible judicial review then I welcome it and it should be a formality.

But it is well known why the alternative sites are not suitable. There has been one independent study already, and the enquiry heard all the arguments already. Basically because Hoile f***ked it up we have to extrend this farce even further.

Who the hell is going to pay for this new enquiry, will we be shelling out another few hundred grand we haven't got, just because a total ignoramus can't see black from white!!!!

We have done absolutely everything by the book, over a period of several years, yet a handful of miserable old sots and bat fanciers have been allowed to hold up proceedings with their ill thought out and factually incorrect arguements, what a load of tosh.

I hope Lord B is right and it is time to celebrate, everyone involved in the campaign is a credit to the club and the city, and hopefully the end is in sight. However it doesn't stop me being bitter about how we have been messed about.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
tigger said:

Just supposing the enquiry says that Toads Hole Valley is the site we must build the stadium. This site is in private hands and it would cost a fortune to purchase the site. Could we be landed with a site that ODPM considers viable, but which the club in reality could never afford?

exactly and then he says NO to Falmer, again we could say "well we simply cant afford it" and he says ok Falmer it is, or he says "tough titty!" and we are left stranded.....THAT is whats worrying me

May 21, 2004
Preston Park
The penultimate bullet point in the news release from the ODPM clearly states that no view will be formed on the recommended rejection of Falmer by the enquiry inspector, until the second inspector has reported on alternative sites.

How does this tie in with LB's detailed report that Falmer has passed 4 out of the five criteria for acceptance? Is the news release just a piece of misleading spin? It is so woolly that it seems to have been written specifically to make everyone think that they haven't lost.

I am only a novice on NSC - could someone tell me who LB is and how he has got hold of the inside. I would feel much better if I knew that his analysis was as authoritative as it sounds.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Gblocksouthstand said:

I am only a novice on NSC - could someone tell me who LB is and how he has got hold of the inside. I would feel much better if I knew that his analysis was as authoritative as it sounds.

Ed was a witness at the inquiry and was one of the 'interested parties' who recieved the decision letter this morning.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
I think you're looking at this with rose tinited spectacles. The DPM would not have done this if he didn't feel that there was an alternative out there, something that the nimby's have long been saying. This is not a yes vote, its an acknowledgement that the stadium must be built somewhere - we have won on that score - but we are no closer finding out where it'll be than we ever have.

kevinsmith

Jan 25, 2004
Portslade
BBC lunchtime news had an interview with Sir DK who explained as per previous posts.

Also showed about 10 Falmer NIMBYS drinking champers.

Talk about celebrating before the final result.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Miami Seagull said:
I think you're looking at this with rose tinited spectacles. The DPM would not have done this if he didn't feel that there was an alternative out there, something that the nimby's have long been saying. This is not a yes vote, its an acknowledgement that the stadium must be built somewhere - we have won on that score - but we are no closer finding out where it'll be than we ever have.

Three ways of looking at it.

1. Prescott thinks there are other sites
2. Prescott thinks he needs further evidence
3. Prescott thinks this will prevent a JR.

I think

smith's dreads

Dec 17, 2003
ODPM: "John Prescott would like further evidence that Falmer is the best option available"
sounds positive

Brighton’s plans for a new 23,000 all-seater stadium at Falmer are on hold after Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott re-opened the inquiry into possible sites for the club’s new ground.
The newly-promoted Championship club have been seeking planning permission for the proposed complex, which would give them the chance to increase revenue by cashing in on their fan-base.
A spokesperson for the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (ODPM) confirmed to PA Sport that other options are now being considered, but denied that the Falmer proposal had been shelved.
“Falmer hasn’t been ruled out, but we’ve decided to re-open the inquiry,” said the ODPM spokesperson.
“Before making the final decision John Prescott would like further evidence that Falmer is the best option available.
“He just wants to look at all of the options, and listen to all of the parties involved so he can cross-examine the situation.”
The Seagulls currently play at the Withdean athletics stadium, which holds just 7,000 supporters, and Brighton have been without a proper home since the Goldstone Ground closed seven years ago.
Some 30,000 of the club’s followers travelled to Cardiff to see Albion promoted in the Second Division play-off final against Bristol City in May.
The club’s fans, backed by the local council and a host of MPs, have been campaigning for the Falmer project to be given the go-ahead ever since Albion applied for planning permission back in 2001.
However the scheme also received opposition from environmentalists, and some residents in the Falmer area.
The ODPM have now said that the new inquiry will look at Brighton Station, Brighton Greyhound Stadium, Shoreham Harbour, Sheepcote Valley, Toad’s Hole Valley, Waterhall and the Withdean Stadium as other possible locations for the new stadium.

Steph

Jul 26, 2004
Bognor
The Falmer residents celebrating now reminds me of the Swindon celebrations with 2 minutes to go. I hope this goes as well for the Albion.

David Bellotti

Mar 9, 2004
Bath
There isn't. My good friend Bill bought up all the available land to build his marvelous Focus DIY stores. The rest was sold at a phenomenal profit to other developers and superstore owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here