Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Decision - YES, but first prove there's nowhere else available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legend

Prince Of Darkness
Jul 5, 2003
Lancing
Just got home from work. No access to Internet and had been told that Prescott had said no. This seems like good news to me.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
if sheepcoate valley is a landfill site then not only can we not build on it for 40 yrs. but it is also liable to colapse and release of toxic gases etc.

is there likely to be any other site that we could have overlooked and not listed somewhere previous on this thread?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I've been away for a couple of days, have I missed much????

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The one worrying thought that I have is that all of the TV news bulletins have shown Falmer residents celebrating 'a victory' and DK saying it is only an amber light but the attitude on here is that it is now a virtual certainty that we will get either Falmer or some other site if considered more appropriate. Could somebody please explain this to me a mere simpleton!

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Thank you Lord B! I'm in France at the moment, and heard from a friend that it wsa a maybe. Then I went on the BBC site, thankfully didn't see any of these pictures of NIMBYs celebrating because I think I would have broken something. So from what I see, this decision does actually now seem like good news. It's now up to all of us to make one final great colossal push to demonstrate once and for all that Falmer is the only viable site (for which the Labour Party Conference is going to be a great oportunity). It's also not much, but I'm gonna be on work experience at the Crawley Observer the week beginning 23rd August so if there's anything people can suggest that I could do to help us in any tiny way ,please email/PM me. I'm afraid I won't be able to reply immediately as I'm not likely to be able to come back here for a couple of weeks, but any ideas/info, ANYTHING might help.

Remember everyone, we have fought long and hard to save this club through thick and thin, KEEP THE FAITH and if we all do our bit we WILL win!

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
BensGrandad said:
The one worrying thought that I have is that all of the TV news bulletins have shown Falmer residents celebrating 'a victory' and DK saying it is only an amber light but the attitude on here is that it is now a virtual certainty that we will get either Falmer or some other site if considered more appropriate. Could somebody please explain this to me a mere simpleton!

Well, if another site is shown by a public inquiry to be better than Falmer (which already has planning permission don't forget) what possible reason could there be for denying planning permission for a stadium on that alternative site?

maidstoneseagull

Jul 21, 2004
Maidstone
I think this is just adding to the frustrating wait more than anything else. The reopening of the inquiry will rule out the other sites once and for all and Falmer will be given the go ahead.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Curious Orange said:
Well, if another site is shown by a public inquiry to be better than Falmer (which already has planning permission don't forget) what possible reason could there be for denying planning permission for a stadium on that alternative site?

So what have the NIMBYs of Falmer got to celebrate as they have been shown to be doing on both BBC and ITV local news? Why has DK opted for an approach saying we have 'an amber light' which suggests that all is not as well as we had hoped.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
kevinbha said:
I dont think we have 'planning permission'at Falmer yet my friend.

The planning permission hasn't been approved as yet, you are quite correct. Approved by the ODPM that is, Brighton & Hove City Council on the other hand....

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Sheepcote Valley is not only landfill but they have discovered unexploded wartime munitions that were buried there at the end of the war.

Could lend a whole new meaning to 'his explosive kick ended in a bombing goal'

Giant Seagull

That was textbook
Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Funny how the some nimbys were recomending waterhall, when it itself is due to be in the South downs national park, they dont seem to care less about that, but pull out the AONB bollox time after time when it comes to falmer

mitch

Oct 16, 2003
still confused slightly so the enquiry reopens and only has one remit which is to look at the suitability of the other sites.so do we ie the club now have to prove that they are not or the opponents have to prove they are better?
what worries me now is that two inspectors have turned falmer down even though the club did its best to prove it was the one and only site.i know planning inspectors are poor misguided fools but this must count for something.
and you hear the pr and spin from the supporters of falmer you think good but at the end of the day he could still say no.
or as mr coyler puts it football clubs get regulated every year and it does not effect the national game so saying if we went out of business so what.
all in all we really have to put a lot of faith in dpm to ignore two planning inspectors who have no local knowledge or any intrest in football.

Last edited:

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
Cadiz Seagull said:
JP has done us a huge favour with this decision. Why? Not because he's a closet Seagull fan, it can ONLY be because of the lobbying everybodyt has done on his office - flowers, postcards, Valentine cards, letters, emails, whatever. To everybody who did anything, and that's just about everybody on here and loads of other people who never come anywhere near NSC, it's pat yourself on the back time, and you can tell your granchildren, I did my bit!

Absolutely agree. You simply cannot underestimate the impact of the humourous, witty campaign that Albion supporters have wagered over the past year or so.

Prescott is on record as saying he has been affected by the response - the Valentines card was particularly successful.

The one key thing - imho - is the fact that this has all been done in a non-confrontational manner... i.e. totally against the negativity that football fans sometimes get tarred with.

He's done us a big favour today, but we still have a little bit more work to do at the Conference.

Forget thoughts of eggs and aggressive protesting - let's come up with something to rival the Valentines Card and flowers ... maybe good old Brighton Rock! - and keep on the right side of him ... he's stuck his neck right out in opposing two inspectors reports - I think he wants this stadium as much as we do !!!!!

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
i cant make my mind up if this is good news or not?

ok he hasnt said no but he's hardly said yes either,where does it say that all other requirements have been met?hopefully the optimisum on here will prove to be valid but and as long as it's proved again that falmer is the only site he does give us the big yes and save another inquiry after but like others i can't help but have this niggling feeling that he's just hoping for an easier trip to brighton for the party conference

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
Cadiz Seagull said:
JP has done us a huge favour with this decision. Why? Not because he's a closet Seagull fan, it can ONLY be because of the lobbying everybodyt has done on his office - flowers, postcards, Valentine cards, letters, emails, whatever. To everybody who did anything, and that's just about everybody on here and loads of other people who never come anywhere near NSC, it's pat yourself on the back time, and you can tell your granchildren, I did my bit!

Absolutely agree. You simply cannot underestimate the impact of the humourous, witty campaign that Albion supporters have wagered over the past year or so.

Prescott is on record as saying he has been affected by the response - the Valentines card was particularly successful.

The one key thing - imho - is the fact that this has all been done in a non-confrontational manner... i.e. totally against the negativity that football fans sometimes get tarred with.

He's done us a big favour today, but we still have a little bit more work to do at the Conference.

Forget thoughts of eggs and aggressive protesting - let's come up with something to rival the Valentines Card and flowers ... maybe good old Brighton Rock! - and keep on the right side of him ... he's stuck his neck right out in opposing two inspectors reports - I think he wants this stadium as much as we do !!!!!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Robert Lester Zamora said:

Poor old Brighton rock. Do you really think giving JP a Palace fan will have any effect? More likely to put him off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here