The Decision - YES, but first prove there's nowhere else available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
London Irish said:
I'm sorry, but this is one of the great myths of our time. The stadium issue is important to us, but insignificant to anyone outside Brighton. New Labour have got ten million more worries on their plate than a local planning issue which can't in any way conceivably hurt them at a national level. Caplin is gone anyway on the current expected Tory-Labour swing, so we're talking two seats at most, and I think Lepper is too safe to be affected by any protests, Turner has the only marginal.

I wasn't saying that labour would be worried in the slightest about losing seats in brighton, just that a NO or NO STATEMENT, could of caused a lot of angry fans to converge on the conference causing mayem. me included.

More from the BBC web site:

Sites to be considered in the fresh inquiry have been listed as Brighton Station; Brighton Greyhound Stadium; Shoreham Harbour; Sheepcote Valley; Toad's Hole Valley; Waterhall; and the Withdean Stadium.

The chosen site will have to be in the Brighton and Hove area and be a realistic proposition for acquisition, according to criteria set out by Mr Prescott's office.

Sites will also be judged in terms of size, development costs, safety and planning issues, transport links, and environmental and visual impact.

The fresh inquiry will also leave options open for considering other suitable sites.

Now that my blood pressure (and language) has returned to something resemebling normality.........

Can someone (lord B?) explain why we have to re-eaximine the viability of sites that we rejected as unsuitable FIVE years ago after exhaustive anaylsis (so we were told) and whose prospects have moved on (brighton Station being a prime example). I though we'd done all this prior to the referendum (when we were still paying at Gillingham!!!!!!).

if all this does is do away with the poyntial judicial review then fair enoughm but we've already proved this point, as ODPM accepted when they calledin the Falmer plans for the public enquiry. Or am I being dense................
:lolol: :rolleyes:

XoooX

Jul 27, 2004
I think a concerted 'Alternative Site NO' campaign is a great idea. We've done the Falmer YES campaign to death and Prescott has already delivered his 'Yes but' decision so highlighting the 101 reasons why all of the other sites are unsuitable or more importantly, less suitable than Falmer, should be our main focus now.

This is a victory, we just need to conduct a mopping up campaign now! :clap2:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Storer68 said:
More from the BBC web site:

Sites to be considered in the fresh inquiry have been listed as Brighton Station; Brighton Greyhound Stadium; Shoreham Harbour; Sheepcote Valley; Toad's Hole Valley; Waterhall; and the Withdean Stadium.

The chosen site will have to be in the Brighton and Hove area and be a realistic proposition for acquisition, according to criteria set out by Mr Prescott's office.

Sites will also be judged in terms of size, development costs, safety and planning issues, transport links, and environmental and visual impact.

The fresh inquiry will also leave options open for considering other suitable sites.

Now that my blood pressure (and language) has returned to something resemebling normality.........

Can someone (lord B?) explain why we have to re-eaximine the viability of sites that we rejected as unsuitable FIVE years ago after exhaustive anaylsis (so we were told) and whose prospects have moved on (brighton Station being a prime example). I though we'd done all this prior to the referendum (when we were still paying at Gillingham!!!!!!).

if all this does is do away with the poyntial judicial review then fair enoughm but we've already proved this point, as ODPM accepted when they calledin the Falmer plans for the public enquiry. Or am I being dense................
:lolol: :rolleyes:

THE REASON HE HAS DONE IT THIS WAY IS SO THAT THE NIMBYS CANNOT CHALLENGE THE NEXT DECISION THEREFORE SAVING US TIME AND MONEY.
IF HE HAD SAID YES THEN THE NIMBYS COULD HAVE CHALLENGED. BY DOING THIS HE IS RULING OUT A JUDICIAL REVIEW ALTOGETHER.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
jimmyseagull said:
I Agree, but it all must be peaceful any sign of bad behavior will obviously go against us

Best you stay at home then!

I'm still not clear on WHO needs to prove there is or isn't any other alternative site. Them or us?

Last edited:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
So really, If there could have been an appeal or judicial review if Prescott had said a straight YES, without going into what the inspector said, then surely this is the Best News we could have hoped for, isn't it?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Captain Sensible said:
So really, If there could have been an appeal or judicial review if Prescott had said a straight YES, without going into what the inspector said, then surely this is the Best News we could have hoped for, isn't it?

That is exactly correct.

Time to celebrate me thinks.

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
XoooX said:
I think a concerted 'Alternative Site NO' campaign is a great idea. We've done the Falmer YES campaign to death and Prescott has already delivered his 'Yes but' decision so highlighting the 101 reasons why all of the other sites are unsuitable or more importantly, less suitable than Falmer, should be our main focus now.

This is a victory, we just need to conduct a mopping up campaign now! :clap2:

The next stage of the campaign will be to look for inventive ways to get across the "One Site in Brighton" message.

Chappers my dear old thing.

Thanks for that. My point was that we've already done this, so why do we have to waste time AND money going back over these arguments.

Oh, and CALM DOWN dear, its only a messageboard

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Storer68 said:

Thanks for that. My point was that we've already done this, so why do we have to waste time AND money going back over these arguments.

As i understand it:

In the original enquiry the Club put foreward the "other sites are not viable" case as a seperate area that had nothing to do with the actual proper enquiry. Meaning that if Prescott said Yes then Falmer NIMBYS/Lewes Council could use that as the Judicial Review option, but by now making it part of the enquiry it means they cannot use that option and will save Prescott time and effort going through a year long review - when the new enquiry would take half that if not less.

that right Lord B?

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
Well, we all know that : WATERHALL/SHEEPCOTE VALLEY/TOADS HOLE VALLEY/SHOREHAM HARBOUR/WITHDEAN/THE STATION CARPARK/CORAL STADIUM are not viable.

So Nimby's, batten down your hatches, secure the pond(life), say farewell to your Swan.

The Seagulls are circling. It is only a matter of time before we swoop - it's gonna happen guys.

:salute:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
We've f***ing won. I can't believe it. We're getting a new stadium!

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Harveys_Hammers

Jul 26, 2004
Guildford
Right now you lot do the right thing....

Get pissed....:lolol:
Well done....:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Anyway back to somthing more important we've signed Rebrov subject to a work permit...:D :clap2:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Storer68 said:

But I'm saying that it's saving us TIME and MONEY by avoiding a judicial review, as Ed says, he is screwing the NIMBYs over, nothing more.

Trish

Jul 5, 2003
Thanks for your explanation Lord B.
I was devastated to receive messages this morning saying "no" but I'm feeling much happier now.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Robert Lester Zamora said:
The next stage of the campaign will be to look for inventive ways to get across the "One Site in Brighton" message.

NSC is nowt if not inventive! And then there's always postcards...

nuclear1.jpg

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
ripper said:
I was assuming that we wouldn't find out yet anyway. Surely Dick Knight and Martin Perry have a huge stack of evidence against any of the other 'proposed' sites already, and should be able to shoot down in flames any half arsed arguments for these sites that anyone i.e. the NIMBYs can come up with.

That's what I was thinking Ripper. We are going over old issues here. BHAFC just need to dig up old reports!

Turkey said:
We've f***ing won. I can't believe it. We're getting a new stadium!

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the enthusiasm but we are not there yet mate!

God I've gone through every possible emotion over the last couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here