[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
‘’Zero new Covid-19 cases reported over the last 6 days for 21 English local authorities.

Note 1. these are +ve Pillar 1 tests (no locations for Pillar 2); 2. possible cases yet to be reported for some of these dates.

With those caveats, here they are. Is your area on the list?’’

A tweet linked to the UKGOV website

Adur and Worthing are on that list (noted caveat) ...

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Spanish deaths and cases continue to decline, something more is definitely at play not a single country has seen a notable increase despite varying lockdown exit plans.

It’s time for the government to be more proactive IMO, stop with the whole 3 week/monthly review stuff, 3 weeks is too long at this phase, give the public weekly steps I really think this will help, particularly the people who are now scared witless.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
CEF377E9-0688-4BBE-BA64-716F57841326.png

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
‘’Zero new Covid-19 cases reported over the last 6 days for 21 English local authorities.

Note 1. these are +ve Pillar 1 tests (no locations for Pillar 2); 2. possible cases yet to be reported for some of these dates.

With those caveats, here they are. Is your area on the list?’’

A tweet linked to the UKGOV website

Adur and Worthing are on that list (noted caveat) ...

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

I spotted one for Worthing on May 22nd ...nothing for Adur last six days re pillar one tests

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
I don’t think it’s plausible to send a few hundred/thousand people to the favelas of Brazil to test it :lolol: The only option could be to try to deliberately infect healthy individuals with the virus but if the vaccine doesn’t work that could end in a whole world of trouble.

I am not saying send people there
Just vaccinate 10000 locals and see how it goes. Same trial as here but in a highly spreading area.

The ethics committee do not allow deliberate exposure of humans to pathogens.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I am not saying send people there
Just vaccinate 10000 locals and see how it goes. Same trial as here but in a highly spreading area.

The ethics committee do not allow deliberate exposure of humans to pathogens.

I understand they have said they may need to do that - given the low level of infections in the UK now makes it hard to get the statistical certainty needed. I'd imagine money is no object, but it would mean a delay - to set up and gather the evidence in a whole new trial in a new country. We can certainly take the fact that the UK infection rate is so low as good news, even if it does mean a bit of a frustrating wait in this case.

I'm guessing we also get SOME indications from the UK trial in the next few weeks- even if not statistical certainty sufficient to move forward to the next stage?

Anyway, also worth remembering this is just one of many vaccine trials underway, as well as the large numbers of trials for treatments. Science will give us a breakthrough. And whether it is the heat, or the behavior changes (possibly a combination of both) we do seem at least to have bought ourselves some time from the worst of it here.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Just to illustrate the point really, really clearly, here's the pattern in several other European countries which are up to 5 or 6 weeks ahead of us in terms of their lockdown relaxation. This thing is dying out.

worldometer.png

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Just to illustrate the point really, really clearly, here's the pattern in several other European countries which are up to 5 or 6 weeks ahead of us in terms of their lockdown relaxation. This thing is dying out.

View attachment 124025

Absolutely. Just bare in mind with these charts from Worldometer, the Spanish cases for example they include antibodies testing for prior cases in their number they upload, so these numbers are sometimes higher than the actual new cases.

UK hospital deaths continue to stay low, 164 announced U.K. wide today, normally do week on week comparison but last Sunday had a system malfunction so numbers not comparable. Overall trends continue downwards.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Absolutely. Just bare in mind with these charts from Worldometer, the Spanish cases for example they include antibodies testing for prior cases in their number they upload, so these numbers are sometimes higher than the actual new cases.

UK hospital deaths continue to stay low, 164 announced U.K. wide today, normally do week on week comparison but last Sunday had a system malfunction so numbers not comparable. Overall trends continue downwards.

The PM just said 118 deaths today, but NHS England said 147 alone.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The PM just said 118 deaths today, but NHS England said 147 alone.

I have a feeling it could be because of backdating, the NHS England figures had a lot of backdating today so it’s either that or an error, hopefully 118 is right because that’s a strong decline again. It will be clarified later so will update when I see figures.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I have a feeling it could be because of backdating, the NHS England figures had a lot of backdating today so it’s either that or an error, hopefully 118 is right because that’s a strong decline again. It will be clarified later so will update when I see figures.

Wonder how many of those were actually because of covid19

RIP the 118

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Public health England removed 53 deaths that were duplicated in the system, bit farcical but 118 is a very low number. Little to no care home deaths are added on Sunday/Monday figures though.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Public health England removed 53 deaths that were duplicated in the system, bit farcical but 118 is a very low number. Little to no care home deaths are added on Sunday/Monday figures though.

Daily figures are very hit and miss - but trends all continue to head in the same positive direction.
If we are a few weeks behind Italy and Spain, can anyone overlay where they were 2-3 weeks ago with where we are now
(trends not detailed numbers)?

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
I've stayed away from NSC for the last six weeks as I was amazed at the negative nature re covid.Having returned I'm so glad to find this thread alive and well.Well done guys.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports