[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Today from the Prof

Last week 18,838 new infections were reported, down from 24,513 the week before.

It peaked at around 35000 recorded infections.

A sustained decline in new infections, even with increased testing, is so significant.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
One for the Good News/Bad News thread but I couldn't find one. The good news is that we may be close to testing a vaccine on humans. The bad news is that the virus is dying out too quickly to test it properly.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The rate of decline of just about every key stat is really rapid now.........about time the news started making a bigger deal out of this. People need to hear some good news.

They are a tad absorbed with something else along with most of titter and a lot of this board...be great if that figure is not substantially upped

RIP the 59

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
121 reported fatalities today vs 160, 210, 288, 338, 559, 744 on previous Mondays.

1625 positive cases recorded. Unfortunately for technical reasons these numbers are likely to represent an undercount from @DHSCgovuk.

Not significantly I'm sure. The trends have been very good.

1625 is a big reduction in cases, let's hope the undercount doesnt add too many in

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
NHS England announce just 59 deaths, remarkably low even for a Monday. Compared to 122 last Monday.

121 reported fatalities today vs 160, 210, 288, 338, 559, 744 on previous Mondays.

1625 positive cases recorded. Unfortunately for technical reasons these numbers are likely to represent an undercount from @DHSCgovuk.

Not significantly I'm sure. The trends have been very good.

1625 is a big reduction in cases, let's hope the undercount doesnt add too many in

However today is a Bank Holiday and therefore the numbers will unfortunately be understated. Yes the trend is going down but I would wait until midweek to see what the figures are after the weekend/Bank Holiday figures filter through,

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
However today is a Bank Holiday and therefore the numbers will unfortunately be understated. Yes the trend is going down but I would wait until midweek to see what the figures are after the weekend/Bank Holiday figures filter through,

We haven't traditionally seen big peaks and troughs on new cases at weekends like we have seen with fatality numbers, but I appreciate we need to see numbers keep falling.

20200525_184646.jpg

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Greece reopening bars and cafes

“Greece took another step towards normality as it reinstated ferry links with islands and allowed restaurants, cafes and bars to reopen. The moves, designed to kickstart the country’s tourist industry ahead of seasonal hotels reopening on 15 June, following almost three months of enforced closure.”

Last edited:

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

Just 300 new infections too. In a population of 60 million - that’s 0.0005%, or 1 in 200,000 people. Even factoring non-serious and asymptomatic cases it seems that the virus has virtually been eradicated in Italy - a country that seemed to be facing the apocalypse just two months ago.

If this trend continues, and it certainly looks like it’s going to, life could be practically back to normal by the beginning of August. I know that sounds optimistic, but you only have to look at the numbers.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Just 300 new infections too. In a population of 60 million - that’s 0.0005%, or 1 in 200,000 people. Even factoring non-serious and asymptomatic cases it seems that the virus has virtually been eradicated in Italy - a country that seemed to be facing the apocalypse just two months ago.

If this trend continues, and it certainly looks like it’s going to, life could be practically back to normal by the beginning of August. I know that sounds optimistic, but you only have to look at the numbers.

UK weekly death totals have been dropping by about 20% per week consistently since the end of April. We have had around 2100 deaths in the last week. If you extrapolate that then in 10 weeks time (Aug 3rd) we would be down to around 200 deaths per week.

So many factors at play of course, so there's no guarantee that's what will happen, but the signs are promising given that other countries have not experienced second surges after easing lockdown restrictions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports