Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Very interesting. This quote at the end shows just what we're up against, we're all lucky that humans now have the knowledge and technology to analyse at this level.

The virus that has caused this completely Earth-changing emergency is unique - it's different. It is something unprecedented."

"The exact reason for this disruption - the spanner in the works of the T-cell system - is not at all clear to us.

"This virus is really doing something distinct and future research - which we will start immediately - needs to find out the mechanism by which this virus is having these effects."

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I only got that far :clap:

Not really. More good news this morning as a potential screening and treatment has emerged out of research showing the most affected patients have extremely low numbers of T Cells (read link for full details).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52754280

Finally - an explanation that makes sense as to the random nature of those it affects badly. Wonder if that would explain the BAME link as well. Can't imagine it is completely random luck so research like this is encouraging.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Finally - an explanation that makes sense as to the random nature of those it affects badly. Wonder if that would explain the BAME link as well. Can't imagine it is completely random luck so research like this is encouraging.

One explanation for the BAME link was given in another video by the Doctor which Bozza posted earlier in this thread - much less natural Vitamin D.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I only got that far :clap:

Not really. More good news this morning as a potential screening and treatment has emerged out of research showing the most affected patients have extremely low numbers of T Cells (read link for full details).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52754280

This is potentially very good news in terms of our understanding of the virus. Science is starting to get on top of the *******.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
'new infections finally collapsing' is quite dramatic wording, but very good to read.

https://twitter.com/ProfKarolSikora/status/1263762983978766336?s=20

Professor Karol Sikora
@ProfKarolSikora
·
5m
I'm surprised we're not hearing more about new infections finally collapsing.

Testing is increasing, and positive results are really coming down.

It's great news! Something has changed in the last week or so, there has been a significant reduction after a long plateau.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Spain figures have really taken a nosedive now, only 400 new cases with 48 deaths. Figures all across Europe are decreasing faster than many would have expected.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Spain figures have really taken a nosedive now, only 400 new cases with 48 deaths. Figures all across Europe are decreasing faster than many would have expected.

NS article from February....really do wonder if we're seeing this, at least to some extent. If so, potentially means a much faster and more comprehensive easing of lockdown could be possible if numbers continue to decline so rapidly despite increased testing and relaxation measures already implemented

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...navirus-outbreak-die-out-in-the-summers-heat/

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It is pretty hot in Brazil.

Depends where in Brazil you are, and cooling a bit now anyway as they move to their winter (Sao Paulo - as and example - temps will be similar to ours this week I suspect). They are also weeks behind the disease progression so still on the upward curve. Population density in Sao Paulo (areaa with highest number of cases) is enormous and social distancing much more difficult too. Finally, this is the good news thread.............

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Anyone else sensing the positive is just starting to at least compete with the negative?

Its quite noticeable on the press conference questions, that they are struggling to find doom and gloom to report and ask questions on. Testing (basically sorted), PPE (basically sorted), Trace and Test- well on the way to being sorted, Daily number of deaths- rapidly falling, Care home deaths-falling quite sharply now, New Infections-numbers plummeting despite massive testing increase , Hospital admissions-rapidly falling, ICU Beds-never been a massive issue, even Nightingales hardly used, .2nd peak- simply hasn't appeared in Europe or anywhere else despite lockdowns easing. In fact almost everything the Gov and scientists said would happen is now demonstrably occurring, and at a faster and faster rate. Even on the one thing they thought they had the Government on yesterday , the NHS Surcharge-that was dealt with, they were left trying to find fault in the fact that the Gov changed its mind . All good news, with the caveat that things could so easily go wrong-still away to go

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
No deaths are good obviously but NHS England 121 deaths announced today - 187 last Friday, and 332 the week before. Remarkable improvements in hospital.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Some interesting noises on T Cells and higher levels of immunity coming out from well respected Scientific magazine Cell now - putting more meat on the bones of theories that have been around for over a month now - how it looks likely that some (to many) who come in contact with COVID-19 do not produce COVID-19 specific antibodies, instead fighting off the infection via other means.

Potentially very, very good news. Would also help explain the extreme, almost absurd dropping of cases in London with only 17% supposedly immune, and the fact we are seeing no big spikes in countries who have been opening up for a while now.

https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(20)30610-3

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Some interesting noises on T Cells and higher levels of immunity coming out from well respected Scientific magazine Cell now - putting more meat on the bones of theories that have been around for over a month now - how it looks likely that some (to many) who come in contact with COVID-19 do not produce COVID-19 specific antibodies, instead fighting off the infection via other means.

Potentially very, very good news. Would also help explain the extreme, almost absurd dropping of cases in London with only 17% supposedly immune, and the fact we are seeing no big spikes in countries who have been opening up for a while now.

The video posted last night gave some credence to that as well I think he said even though your body loses some antibodies in your blood after time your cells still remember the virus and so can fight it off again much more easily than the first time the virus becomes known to the body. Watching that video made me think how amazing the human body actually is. Science is extraordinary.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

This is the sort of good news we really need. None of the gloom about never producing a vaccine. Medical Science will beat this virus.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This is the sort of good news we really need. None of the gloom about never producing a vaccine. Medical Science will beat this virus.

I honestly believe it is possible that by the time the vaccine has arrived, medical science will have all but beaten this virus right down.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I honestly believe it is possible that by the time the vaccine has arrived, medical science will have all but beaten this virus right down.

I would add that 122 deaths out of a population of 57 million ish, and the fact its still called a pandemic the Virus has either mutating into something less harmful or naturally fizzling out like SARs did.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I would add that 122 deaths out of a population of 57 million ish, and the fact its still called a pandemic the Virus has either mutating into something less harmful or naturally fizzling out like SARs did.

Pandemic merely describes a large spread of infection everywhere. Not the mortality rate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here