Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The caterers are letting down the stadium

Miocene

Mar 23, 2011
Hastings
I didnt have any real trouble on Saturday in the North, i actually left my seat on the half time whistle, queued for the loo (not fun!!) and then got my first steak pie!! (damn they are good!) was back at my seat and had eaten my pie before the start of the 2nd half.

Guess its just the luck of the draw really

I have the feeling that the main 'teething' issues at the Amex, are the toilets and catering.
With the beer mobile salespeople, satellite beer posts, and the storefront bars - I don't see how that can be found wanting.
Some of the issue might lie with customers who get to the bars unprepared, or have questions (which ought to diminish as people get used to everything).

Bringing cash might help, instead of having to use debit cards to pay.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The meal deal really slows things down IMHO. Buying three pies, say, would be about a 30 second transaction. Buying three pies and three pints takes about five minutes. As well as mobile beer barrels, we need mobile pie-only options. Stack 'em high, sell 'em quick!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
:bhasign:I work for the caterers at the stadium and have been keeping an eye on these threads for a while (as we all have). I hope I can answer a few questions, but please bear with me,

1) Chips - we cant sell chips as the stadium doesnt have the extraction facilities. This is how the stadium was built and why we are not allowed to fry on the concourses.....leading me on to,

2) Onions on hotdogs - ditto above

3) Curry has been taken off the menu temporarily to try to alleviate the pressure on the other menu item - Pies are far more popular than originally thought and oven space is needed to keep up with demand.

4) Opening and closing times are set by the club and not us. We are told when to open and close.

5) Queues - We are honestly worknig on this as much as we can. Demand for food and drink is way higher than any other stadium/venue that ive ever worked at. the big bosses are taking your thoughts on board and thats why the 'backpack' type sellers were put in place. As far as ive heard they will be selling water from these at the next match.

6) Dark star is on the way as far as I can tell.

7) Cant comment on the 1901 club stuff as thats not where I work - sorry

8) Staff training is an issue although we have all had training some pick stuff up faster than others. Thats not an excuse but a fact - also a match day situation is way different to a training session. We are trying our hardest and I know we will get faster. Regarding my colleagues from outside the uk - I think most catering businesses have some non english staff and we are all doing our best to get quicker.

9) regarding running out of stuff - as ive said already demand for food and drink is way higher than anticipated and this has led to some supply problems. we are doing our very best to get the numbers right and hope that where youve had to eat something other than what you originally wanted thats its not been a disappointment!

Im not making excuses - just asking for a chance. No-one is perfect in their first few days in a new job. That includes me. I know things will get better and hope youll bear with us.

Fair play. I think we are all noticing the concourse improvements week on week. The need to trim back and concentrate on a small core of items whilst you get the logistics sorted makes sense.

Thanks for sticking your head above the parapet.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fair play. I think we are all noticing the concourse improvements week on week. The need to trim back and concentrate on a small core of items whilst you get the logistics sorted makes sense.

Thanks for sticking your head above the parapet.

Totally agree. Good to have a named representative NSC can speak to directly. The caterers have a unique opportunity on here - completely free of charge - to review the feedback and the multitude of ideas for improvements and to implement them to prove to the client that they are sharpening up their act. Everybody wins. Oh, and while I have yer ear, set up a big giant stack of pies in the North concourse that doesn't involve buying a pint. They got loads of pies left over in the WSU after a game. Reallocate them to the North Stand for half-time - and make them available on the general concourse, rather than the kiosks. Most people want to avoid the kiosks if at all possible due to the stupidly long/slow queues. Most of the people in that queue at half time don't get served. Fact.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
:bhasign:I work for the caterers at the stadium and have been keeping an eye on these threads for a while (as we all have). I hope I can answer a few questions, but please bear with me,

4) Opening and closing times are set by the club and not us. We are told when to open and close.

5) Queues - We are honestly worknig on this as much as we can. Demand for food and drink is way higher than any other stadium/venue that ive ever worked at.

9) regarding running out of stuff - as ive said already demand for food and drink is way higher than anticipated and this has led to some supply problems.

I,m not really surprised that the consumption of alcohol and food is higher than any other stadium/venue your company has worked at.

Falmer has transport difficulties for large numbers of supporters, compared to other stadia. As a longtime Albion supporter, I,m finding it necessary to leave home much earlier than at our other 'homes'...(Goldstone and Withdean) to be sure of arriving in plenty of time...and reasonable comfort. With the superb stadium and the ability to enjoy a pint and a bite watching the various tv screens etc , leaving home much earlier is no hardship at all.

Depending on 'on-field' success of course, I think the demand for food and alcohol will continue to be higher than other stadia around the country, that will usually have much better and more numerous transport systems in place.

Good luck with your company...(for our sake...lol).....and thanks for your informative and explanatory reply.

Oh.....I forgot.re; item 4) Think the club should seriously consider opening much earlier, due to supporters needing to travel to the stadium, earlier than supporters of other clubs.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010

1) Chips - we cant sell chips as the stadium doesnt have the extraction facilities. This is how the stadium was built and why we are not allowed to fry on the concourses.....leading me on to,

2) Onions on hotdogs - ditto above

3) Curry has been taken off the menu temporarily to try to alleviate the pressure on the other menu item - Pies are far more popular than originally thought and oven space is needed to keep up with demand.

5) Queues - We are honestly worknig on this as much as we can. Demand for food and drink is way higher than any other stadium/venue that ive ever worked at. the big bosses are taking your thoughts on board and thats why the 'backpack' type sellers were put in place. As far as ive heard they will be selling water from these at the next match.

6) Dark star is on the way as far as I can tell.

7) Cant comment on the 1901 club stuff as thats not where I work - sorry

8) Staff training is an issue although we have all had training some pick stuff up faster than others. Thats not an excuse but a fact - also a match day situation is way different to a training session. We are trying our hardest and I know we will get faster. Regarding my colleagues from outside the uk - I think most catering businesses have some non english staff and we are all doing our best to get quicker.

9) regarding running out of stuff - as ive said already demand for food and drink is way higher than anticipated and this has led to some supply problems. we are doing our very best to get the numbers right and hope that where youve had to eat something other than what you originally wanted thats its not been a disappointment!

Im not making excuses - just asking for a chance. No-one is perfect in their first few days in a new job. That includes me. I know things will get better and hope youll bear with us.

Interested to read your remarks and it is surely good that you are interested to so observe.

Are you management or are these issues which you have noted flagged up to management.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
How about some soft drinks in the Candy Store (East Stand)? Kids seem to get their sweets quite easily but then it's a quewe for drinks.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ru
Also, one could argue a nice little con is to run out of Harveys at the 3 serveries so you to go to the mobile barrels where you can only pay cash, which means you are paying 36p a pint more. This means you make an extra £25 per barrell.

Point of order sir a barrell is 36 gals: the casks used at The Amex are Firkins, 9 gals but I see your point.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I don't bother with food at games at all,

what would be good was if we could use our cards on the mobile harveys stalls.

I've stumped up £100 on my card and still had to pay cash to avoid the monster queues.

I think it's fair to say that once fans get used to the Amex & it's transport needs then the caterers will then have a better idea
How to support their needs.

We were promised a different approach to outside catering with promises of noodles/curries etc.

All we have seen is what every other team in the land dishes up pies/burgers/hot dogs

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think silkyseagull has a good point - it's you fat greedy bastards that are cocking it up for the rest of us :catfight:

I know the quality of the pies and the Harveys has upped my consumption level since Withdean

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Treble Agree

Fine. And when the expansion plans are rejected because everyone turns up and leaves at the same time making the transport systems unviable, you may finally understand why it's important.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here