Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The caterers are letting down the stadium

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Having experienced the East Stand catering at both Donny & Gills, I have few complaints. A few tips though:-
1) Get your Harvey's from the little minibars wher they pull one on demand rather than the main catering outlets. Understandably in the main ones they pour pints off in advance to cut waiting time down. Mine had obviously been standing for a while....
2) If you want a pie in the E stand in a hurry there is a little kiosk at the S end near the away end. Massive queues in the main serving areas at about 2:15 pm Saturday, but no-one at all at this little kiosk. Sorted!

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
I'm not a regular diner but the 1901 dining has radically changed.

When I went to the presentation the options were fine dining (multiple choices at a time to suit you and your guests), a buffet and 'concourse' snacks and you could move onto the concourse if you wanted.

Now, it's just a fixed option fixed time meal masquerading as fine dining and pies..and you cannot go elsewhere to get food.

If I'd signed up for a fine dining season ticket I'd be really pissed off.

You see I was absolutely sure there were multiple menu options in 1901, based on the initial presentation. When we signed up for fine dining for the first league game, it wasn't until the Thursday before that we were told what the fixed menu was and that we had to be there and seated by 1pm. However, when I phoned the lady at Azure with whom I booked the meal she was adamant that was never an option, so something has clearly gone awry when this was being sold. We were so close to signing up for a fine dining season ticket as well, glad I didn't.

Oh, and where is the Dark Star?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
My first experience of the stadium was in WSL on Tuesday night.

Short/no queues for the larger and a piping hot, immaculate pie. Outstanding.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
SORT THIS DARK STAR THING OUT:rant:

I'm now concerned that we won't ever have Dark Star available. I'm told that they are already brewing to capacity and have had to turn down an approach from Greene King to put Hophead in all their pubs in order to meet their commitments to The Albion. Combine that with the facts that they can't get their product out to the customers and Harvey's have their fantastic mobile bars and I can see a time in the near future when the club just say 'sorry, you've missed the boat'. On the concourses they don't have any mention of Hophead, so it would appear to be only available in Dick's Bar. The annoying thing is that I had one of the few pints they sold there on Saturday and it was just great - far better than Harveys and far far far better than Fosters.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You see I was absolutely sure there were multiple menu options in 1901, based on the initial presentation. When we signed up for fine dining for the first league game, it wasn't until the Thursday before that we were told what the fixed menu was and that we had to be there and seated by 1pm. However, when I phoned the lady at Azure with whom I booked the meal she was adamant that was never an option, so something has clearly gone awry when this was being sold. We were so close to signing up for a fine dining season ticket as well, glad I didn't.

Oh, and where is the Dark Star?

I'm certain this was offered as well. I went to the presentation where they tried to sign us up to dinning season tickets, I'm certain the alluded to this. I certainly would have remember if they had offered a single fixed dish at a fixed time. Merry Prankster has mentioned that he was informed it changed due to customer feedback.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I'm certain this was offered as well. I went to the presentation where they tried to sign us up to dinning season tickets, I'm certain the alluded to this. I certainly would have remember if they had offered a single fixed dish at a fixed time. Merry Prankster has mentioned that he was informed it changed due to customer feedback.

Indeed. That went out in a 1901 email just before the Donny game. I wrote back mocking the idea that customers wanted less choice and no flexibility but heard nothing back. The presentation promised Gourmet dining (it's not), up to five choices per course, as illustrated in their glossy brochure and flexibility to eat between 12.30 and 14.00. Anyone claiming otherwise is lying. Frankly they (Azure) don't look up to it and I can't see any evidence that they will be. One option for them might be to do the East Stand brasserie option in the 1901. I'd far rather have time flexibility and some choice (in fact I rather have a decent steak and chips than anything they've served up so far) than the pigs ear we've got now.

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Indeed. That went out in a 1901 email just before the Donny game. I wrote back mocking the idea that customers wanted less choice and no flexibility but heard nothing back. The presentation promised Gourmet dining (it's not), up to five choices per course, as illustrated in their glossy brochure and flexibility to eat between 12.30 and 14.00. Anyone claiming otherwise is lying. Frankly they (Azure) don't look up to it and I can't see any evidence that they will be. One option for them might be to do the East Stand brasserie option in the 1901. I'd far rather have time flexibility and some choice (in fact I rather have a decent steak and chips than anything they've served up so far) than the pigs ear we've got now.

What makes it worse is that I'm a veggie and the option I had at the Doncaster game just wasn't worth the £38. Veggies are always going to suffer but I thought with the costs of it, maybe I would get something a bit better. As a result, we're not sure it's worth doing again.

I recall asking at the 1901 presentation when they mentioned 'fine dining'. I asked exactly what their definition of 'fine dining' was and the chap laughed back at me and said 'Well, it's not going to be Gordon Ramsey'. Alarms bells should have rung then...

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
What makes it worse is that I'm a veggie and the option I had at the Doncaster game just wasn't worth the £38. Veggies are always going to suffer but I thought with the costs of it, maybe I would get something a bit better. As a result, we're not sure it's worth doing again.

I recall asking at the 1901 presentation when they mentioned 'fine dining'. I asked exactly what their definition of 'fine dining' was and the chap laughed back at me and said 'Well, it's not going to be Gordon Ramsey'. Alarms bells should have rung then...

Out if interest, what did you get?

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Having noted the good comments regarding the pies but not prepared to miss part of the match I dropped into Dicks Bar at lunchtime on Wednesday,but was informed that they only have them on match days as they are sent up from the refreshment points,why is it not possible for them to keep a supply and heat them up in a micro??
It does not impress me that the Amex catering is better than the Goldstone and Withdean its still not good enough the caterers must remember the customer has a chioce i have made mine and will purchase before i attend the match in future.

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Out if interest, what did you get?

A few slices of melon for starter, butterbean stew for main which was ok, but when you consider my dad had chicken liver parfait and rack of lamb my meal didn't show much ambition and wasn't particularly good value in comparison. My dad said the parfait and lamb were very good but he has the palate of a toddler, so wouldn't trust his opinion one iota.

Loved the pies at half time though, with pre-booked drinks ready on the table. Just like the er... theatre.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I didn't bother with food last night, just bought a pint of Harvey's off a young man under an umbrella - no queue, quite surprised. What did shock me was having to pay £3 for a tiny bottle of Foster's for my daughter, now that is a scam. She'll have to learn to drink ale in future!

Yes agreed. £3 for a warm bottle is too much.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The caterers need to train their staff to pour beer correctly, whether bitter or lager. Simples - Slant the glass/plastic container at an angle when pouring. An inch or more of froth with beer below the marker is NOT acceptable. :eek:

The trouble is, an inch of froth (or more) is perfectly acceptable in some European countries. Where many of our serving staff come from. Probably never even crosses their minds that a pint means a pint. And no doubt their training never extended anywhere near such subtleties. Exact same thing happens in London.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
A few slices of melon for starter, butterbean stew for main which was ok, but when you consider my dad had chicken liver parfait and rack of lamb my meal didn't show much ambition and wasn't particularly good value in comparison. My dad said the parfait and lamb were very good but he has the palate of a toddler, so wouldn't trust his opinion one iota.

Loved the pies at half time though, with pre-booked drinks ready on the table. Just like the er... theatre.

It was the butterbean stew which tipped me over the edge :lolol: Had to go for that as I found out at 24 hours notice that the 'choice' was a meat I can't stand. Wasn't overly-fussed as I generally really enjoy good vegetarian food in town - but this was a tiny pot of food not far off ready meal standard and three small potatoes. It was a joke.. and we all had a good laugh about it at the time. But £38? Come off it.

Lee-evans8

Aug 11, 2011
Where are the chips??? Pies great, but check what you're getting, ordered a chicken got a veggie! Burgers ok, no hotdogs, keep selling out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here