Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
With respect to the current High temps and seeming Dew Points on the south coast... from Mid Hants TWO members (I don't know which footy team they support)

The current parameters across many areas are pretty much as modelled. Colder and more importantly dryer air is now being drawn up into the south. The band has turned to snow in the Channel and everyone in CS coastal counties will see the air getting colder in degrees over the next four or five hours.

I am 90% confident that most coastal areas from Portland eastwards will see snow, but the boundary layer mixing is marginal so a sleety mix possible right on the shore and this extending a few miles inland as ppn rates fall Fri pm (if they do as there's some debate over further developments). 5 miles inland and inland IOW staying as snow on latest MetO UK4 model. 10 miles inland and up into the body of Dorset, Hampshire, W Sussex and beyond snow no problem from the off to the end.

and

I can really visualise what's happening out there - the flow has turned morefrom the south than southeast during the evening, and this has dragged higher 2m temps and DPs up from the Channel, but it's also pulling up cold continental air with its low DPs that are clearly powerful if they're producing snow over the sea.

So we have a wedge of maritime-modified air moving up from the Channel and mixing out gradually, with the frigid continental air in, er, cold pursuit...

What a rare experience it is to have rain drops falling here and snow falling to my south

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
First snow flurry here, just blowing in the wind.

Temp 2c DP -3c

The NAE total is up by a couple of mm (1mm = roughly 1cm)

Feels like Christmas Eve!!! :moo:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
These sites are just up the road for me...

http://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/latestobservationservlet?siteID=18967445 Goring - Temp 4.5C DP about -7C

http://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/latestobservationservlet?siteID=30822555 Durrington - well Salvington, temp 3.4C DP between -8 and -9C..

My weather station is wrong.

With such low DPs, it is possible to get snow at above zero C at the surface.

From experience, and Ive heard meteorologists state this, +3c and below gives full blown snow fall. Is this your experience?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
From experience, and Ive heard meteorologists state this, +3c and below gives full blown snow fall. Is this your experience?

The Dew Point is more vital - with sub zero dew points (and other favorable variables) it's possible to get snow at temps of up to 8C

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Typing in Henfield as an example, BBC are now showing heavy snow from 10am to 5pm tomorrow, non stop light snow after that, and sub zero temps day and night until Monday.

in north Brighton, I find locations like Henfield better reflect what happens to us, as we are 3 miles from the mild Channel, 100m up in altitude, and in the suburbs well away from the urban heat island effect.

I hope the bbc / met office are correct.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Re: The award-winning official "More snow tomorrow?" thread [2012-13 season]

snowing in preston park. Thick flakes too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here