Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Apology

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
If this had happened to Man Utd under Ferguson, this would be the top sport story for days/weeks, heads would roll and an investigation started resulting in rules being changed. PGMOL have got lucky in that it has only happened to little old Brighton.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I used to like Nat Geo's "Air Crash Investigation". The recorded conversation between pilots often help us to understand what was actually happening. I think referees conversation should be recorded too.
Don't they do that in rugby?

PGMOL are not fit for purpose. The technology is there and works well for other sports. Football and the FA are just shit.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Means f*** all we can all look forward to our next dose at Wembley as the FA and PGMOL do everything in their power to setup up the all Manchester final the TV companies and sponsors are all so desperate for.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Apology or not, VAR is still at the route of the problem.

To me it seems the standards of refereeing have definitely dropped since VAR was introduced as most refs seem to feel there is this in-built safety net if they get something wrong, which in my view is leading to them becoming lazy and far less observant.

I've always hated VAR (even if it has sometimes gone in our favour), and I for one would prefer that the refs on the field to just make the decisions as they see them. Yes, we wouldn't have got the penalties, but would have at least had one of the 2 goals disallowed given.

When I saw the Brenford penalty given yesterday on MOTD, how the hell was the Mitoma one not given? Far more blatant. Rant over.

Oh and yes : 1 PGMOL apology in a season - careless, 2 apologies - suspicion, but now 3 APOLOGIES this season?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Why doesn’t Howard Webb instead of issuing apology after apology get into the VAR booth himself and run the bloody thing properly. Three possible penalties yesterday 2 defo should have been given the other one the handball you have seen them given as well his hand wasn’t in the so called natural position whatever that means anyway. Rules seem to switch around for the 2 handballs. As Lino flagged it then it was in pitch call despite it hitting where the badge part is which is allegedly not handball. The 2nd there wasn’t any obvious handball and appeared to hit his hip from one angle and the other I don’t think was conclusive. Should have also stayed as on the pitch call as not clear and obvious? If this was arsenal city United Liverpool spurs people be going on about it for days

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Means f*** all we can all look forward to our next dose at Wembley as the FA and PGMOL do everything in their power to setup up the all Manchester final the TV companies and sponsors are all so desperate for.

I imagine the programmes have already been printed in preparation

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
The apology is pretty pointless. We need to know the thought process and discussion that went on around the decision not to give the Mitoma penalty. With so many angles and opportunities to view the incident how could they not see the tread on his foot? Without an explanation you have query whether they do feel pressure to favour the big clubs and do they ultimately have to accept there is unconscious bias

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
VAR worked well at the last World Cup.

The problem in England is the Referees Club. Egotistical match referees taking it in turns to operate VAR. Can you imagine one of these egotists having to tell one of their best mates they might have got a decision wrong. VAR only works when the VAR official isn't a best mate of the referee and is able to take an independent view of an incident without the fear of losing a friendship.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Pointless and not worth the time it took to type / phone

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Interesting about the Villa game, not heard that before - so 3 apologies we've received this year. Wankers.

Good to see the club are chasing the other decisions.
Yes it is. It’s all well & good (it’s not btw) apologising for one, but that’s a smokescreen for the other piss poor (wrong) decisions as well. One looks careless 4/5 stinks to high heaven,

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Media have already forgotten about it already because it's Brighton, these wankers know they won't even be under any pressure/scrutiny.

There is an undeniable agenda against us which has cost us at least 7 points this season and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. It's disgusting.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Media have already forgotten about it already because it's Brighton, these wankers know they won't even be under any pressure/scrutiny.

There is an undeniable agenda against us which has cost us at least 7 points this season and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. It's disgusting.
Not sure how you can say it’s been forgotten seeing as the opening post is the BBC and Sky are reporting the apology

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
VAR worked well at the last World Cup.

The problem in England is the Referees Club. Egotistical match referees taking it in turns to operate VAR. Can you imagine one of these egotists having to tell one of their best mates they might have got a decision wrong. VAR only works when the VAR official isn't a best mate of the referee and is able to take an independent view of an incident without the fear of losing a friendship.
Yes, this is my suspicion too. When your mate is on VAR, he is, given how human nature works, far less likely to come to a decision which means that you will be barracked by 60,00 fans. But given the lack of transparency, we will sadly never really know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here