Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Apology

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
An apology means nothing. But now they have admitted they got it wrong, what I would actually like to hear is an explanation as to why the Mitoma penalty was not given. What were the thoughts of both Atwell and Salisbury that led them to the decision?
Thoughts?

Cheque clearing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I thought an appeal would be interesting. There is a rule about touchline altercations that says that if the original culprits can't be identified then the senior coaches are sent off. I think that was why he and Stellini, who was nowhere near, may have gone. But it doesn't seem right in this instance.
In one of the De Zerbi post-match interviews, the interviewer asked him if he understood the rule that led to him being sent off, which was something like "failure to control your coaching staff".

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
In one of the De Zerbi post-match interviews, the interviewer asked him if he understood the rule that led to him being sent off, which was something like "failure to control your coaching staff".
Weird rule. You don’t send the captain off because there’s a player melee, so why does the manager carry the can for the coaches? Send the individuals off.

Mt.Fuji

Jan 5, 2023
When has that ever happened because of referee decisions in the history of football!? As much as I'd love that to happen in this case

I don't think Rematch can happen at all. However, the referee was too awful yesterday. Plus, it was the third apology = PGMOL stole 3 to 9 points from a single team, which is too big loss for the club to aim at playing in Europe next season. Apology is not enough at all.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Empty words

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
When has that ever happened because of referee decisions in the history of football!? As much as I'd love that to happen in this case
Kanu goal in the FA cup? Although that was Wenger not the officials.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Weird rule. You don’t send the captain off because there’s a player melee, so why does the manager carry the can for the coaches? Send the individuals off.
The fourth official must have seen who was involved. I actually feel for Stellini because he purposely kept out of it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think it might be this:

'TEAM OFFICIALS​

Where an offence is committed and the offender cannot be identified, the senior team coach present in the technical area will receive the sanction'

I think 'failure to control' is a collective club responsibility and is retrospective.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
Its not just the penalties and disallowed goals. What of the definite Reds that should have been given to Doucoure and Fermino?
VAR is just another layer of bureaucracy that football does not need. I find it strange (maybe deliberately) that some clubs have every decision scrutinised for many minutes when others it is not even looked at.

Maybe should bring in 1 point per apology!!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Its not just the penalties and disallowed goals. What of the definite Reds that should have been given to Doucoure and Fermino?
VAR is just another layer of bureaucracy that football does not need. I find it strange (maybe deliberately) that some clubs have every decision scrutinised for many minutes when others it is not even looked at.

Maybe should bring in 1 point per apology!!
The Palace and Spurs apologies costs us 5 points alone

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Apologised for one error, no mention of least one more stonewall penalty, or two very dubious decisions disallowing us goals. Then there was the early handball by Spurs that has not really been picked up on much. Combined with previous apologies this really is beginning to stink. Probably not a concious anti Brighton campaign but it highlights a possible serious bias towards the so called elite.

It appears as a club we are asking questions but others also need to grasp the nettle as this needs to be stopped. It has almost certainly ruled out any possibility of CL next season, costing us tens of millions of pounds, but may also hasten the exit of some of our superstars. Guess who will most likely pick those players up? Our PL rivals of course. Lose, lose, lose.

Pre VAR we had the odd human error, I for one could live with that, but this shower of shit needs to stop now.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Dear Mr Bloom,

We would like to apologise to you and your club, in that one of the hundreds of decisions made on the pitch in your game against Tottenham Hotspur, didn't quite match up to our high expectations. As you are aware, sometimes human error can become a factor in these split second decisions, but we do try to minimise them and their impact.

I hope you have a great weekend

Best regards

Howard

God, if he believes that, he will believe anything.

Ethel, get me Attwell on the phone.

FFS Stuart, this is the 342nd time I've told you, please try and and get at least some of the major decisions correct.
Oh, and stop spreading you arms out all the time, it seems to indicate that you've seen stuff when you obviously haven't.
No, no that's fine I completely understand, - sure - yes of course you'll be reffing next weekend.
Ok, have a good one.

Ethel, can you send a text to Michael Salisbury - "Michael, these games are fairly important, try and keep a better eye on things, - cheers have a good weekend"

Phew got through another week, Ethel - I reckon these clubs must be losing millions on some of these decisions.

Oh, that Betting sydicate - yep, put them through....

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
Agreed.

I've said it elsewhere, but I can forgive Attwell, or any ref for that matter, even though he was perfectly-placed. A one-off take on something at live-speed being played out by world-class athletes who are trying to con you at all the time. Of course, referees will get it wrong on occasion.

...which is why VAR is there.

So, with the benefit of replays and multiple angles - not that they were really needed in this instance - let's hear the explanation as to why the VAR official didn't intervene.
I just wonder if Attwell's vision would have been better if it was Kane or Son who went down in a similar incident

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here